• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX1200 vs SuperNova 1300 G2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey there,

I am in a situation, where i hopefully will be buying an EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2 psu.

Currently i have an AX1200 in my main rig, but i would like to know if there would any sense in swapping the PSU out?

The buy is gonna happen, because i need a PSU for my benching rig, and the EVGA is priced, well, stupid cheap, so much that i can not buy it.

But doing a swap would result in the loss of the Corsair sleedved cables. Are there sets out there to buy for the EVGA, or is this a DIY situation?

I mean if you need another PSU... why are you asking us if you should do it???!!!

Thats not the question ED.

My main rig has 3x 7970's i currently run the AX1200.

I dont need more than 750watt for my benching rig, but this EVGA is priced so low, that its cheaper then getting a used 750w bronze PSU.

I have read in random places that the EVGA PSU's are very good.

This leads me to asking the question, when i do buy this EVGA psu, would be worth spending the time replacing it with my AX1200 from my main rig.

As in, does the EVGA performe better when being stressed? With the OC bios from the Toxic cards, we have spoken about before, the power usage of my 6gb cards could get me close to the breaking point of the AX1200 psu (theoretically), once more leading me to the question, would it be worth the swapping the AX1200 for the EVGA 1300 in my main rig, or would be a waist of time.

Toxic card Power usage - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7970_Toxic_6_GB/26.html

363watts per card = 1089watt plus the rest of the rig, it will be getting there.

Now i know that i wont be pushing 363watts all the time, but 100watts head room is still 100watts. I need to know if it worth the effort, since i spend at least 4 hours doing cables when i do sit down and do them.

Why not just get an 850W G2 for the benching setup and be done?

Thank you for being clear on your wants/goals in your second post Peirre.......

1. I don't think it would be worth swapping, no.
1a. They both perform great. What differences are there will not affect anything
2. I wouldn't swap... that 363W is absolute worst case and is not remotely a typical load.

I wouldn't, I would leave the 1200 in the main rig and the 1300 for the bencher

I agree, the G2 is priced so low it is a steal

Why not just get an 850W G2 for the benching setup and be done?

Very simply, im buying used.

The G2 1300 is priced at 107$ and a brand new 850 G2 runs in at 160$, i dont think we need to do the maths on where the great deal comes into play.

Worst case, the 1300 will have so much headroom i can use it in the future in other builds.

Very simply, im buying used.

The G2 1300 is priced at 107$ and a brand new 850 G2 runs in at 160$, i dont think we need to to the maths on where the great deal comes into play.

Worst case, the 1300 will have so much headroom i can use it in the future in other builds.

Okay, that would have been good to know, I assumed you were looking at new prices since there wasn't mention of anything else.

I didnt see it as factor, since i already claimed i was buying the 1300 no matter what.

And I've seen people try to run an APU with no dedicated graphics off of 1kW+ PSUs then get talked out of it because it's overkill.
Information up front...

And I've seen people try to run an APU with no dedicated graphics off of 1kW+ PSUs then get talked out of it because it's overkill.
Information up front...

In this case, i know its overkill, i am well aware its overkill, but i like well priced overkill :D

I was just looking for a PSU for my benching station since my last deal fell threw, and the G2 came up at such a low price i couldn't ignore it.

In this case, i know its overkill, i am well aware its overkill, but i like well priced overkill :D

I was just looking for a PSU for my benching station since my last deal fell threw, and the G2 came up at such a low price i couldn't ignore it.

Bottom line if you really get into this benching deal it will be nice to have the big gun when needed

When pushing the envelope there is no such thing as overkill

Guy figured he was selling to cheap, and without even telling me, decided to sell at a higher price, without giving me the option of putting in a higher bid. :rolleyes:

The search re-starts :cry:

Wow, that is a drag, shame you are not in the states, you can get a g2 1300 watt for $ 139.99 after rebate at the egg right now. Not sure what they go for in your country new ?

Hey there,

I am in a situation, where i hopefully will be buying an EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2 psu.

Currently i have an AX1200 in my main rig, but i would like to know if there would any sense in swapping the PSU out?

The buy is gonna happen, because i need a PSU for my benching rig, and the EVGA is priced, well, stupid cheap, so much that i can not buy it.

But doing a swap would result in the loss of the Corsair sleedved cables. Are there sets out there to buy for the EVGA, or is this a DIY situation?

What more could you say, he's already determined to buy one, but at the cost of what? Cables or convincing the wife you need 1000 more watts.

My wife says doesn't matter...LOL J?K

Back