• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air-cooling my OC'd i7-950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollerOC

Hello,
This post is in regards to my most recent build project. I am running an i7-950 on a GA-X58A-UD3R with 6gb of RAM rated at 1600mhz, but built to OC. I plan on modest overclocking, and I am running with a coolermaster haf build. My HSF is the V8. So far I have heard the V8 was overkill for my overclocking ambitions, but a) it looks pretty and b) better too much cooling than too little. Basically I wanted confirmation from some experienced Overclockers at what the i7-950's potential is on a high-end air cooling build, aka what clock speed would I be likely to achieve. The exact build specifics are below.

BUILD
Cpu: Intel Core i7-950
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Gpu: MSI N480GTX-M2D15-B GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5
Psu: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W ATX12V v2.3

I'm not expecting any overwhelming numbers running on air, but would like a realistic estimate based on my build.

4GHz should be doable on most 950s with a V8 ;)
If you're lucky you'll get to 4.2GHz or more :thup:

4GHz should be doable on most 950s with a V8 ;)
If you're lucky you'll get to 4.2GHz or more :thup:

Thanks, I was expecting to shoot around 4GHz. Quite honestly I believe as far as performance and longevity goes, it's a good place to aim.

just a thought, but I would say you can never have overkill for air cooling. you little combo should make you happy in the end.

on my 950 im @ 4.02 ghz on air, stable @ 1.25v, temps 55c idle 85c in prime

my temps could probably be better but this was my first mount ever using a non stock cooler so i think my paste job wasn't the best, ill probably re-seat the cooler sometime in the future in a bid to improve temps

A tip regarding pasting, in case you are still following the thread. Often the cooler will come with a small sheet of wax paper/cardboard that can spread the thermal compound very flat and even without much practice. However, what I find even more useful is glass, while spreading the thermal compound try to apply it even then flatten and spread with a flat piece of glass. Doing this thoroughly almost completely flattens and spreads it which means no annoying processor hot-spots from "bubbles" or "holes" in the application.

I have a 950 running 4.4G at 1.45Vcore cooled by the noctua NH-D14. Full loads is around 89C when ambiant is 21-23C. At 4.5G and 1.525Vcore I need the window open and it runs 96C.

I dont know how good the v8 is but 4-4.2G should be easy.

From what I have read and seen, the V8 is one of the better air coolers out there, and I am quite good at mounting cooler master coolers as is, so I may shoot for higher, depending on what 4.2ghz runs as. And yes, the 950 is capable of more than 4.2ghz fairly easy, but I am not on water and don't plan to be. That and I am doing a 24/7 OC, not a bench.

Yes I know. I changed the fans anyway. The stock fan do not provide enough air flow to maximize the effectiveness of the cooler. So I changed them and got rid of these ugly fan

Just thought I'd post now that I've built and OC'd my new system.
The system is running 100% stable at good temps, build ran perfect on first boot with overclocking.

[email protected] (24/7 OC)
3x 2Gb 1600Mhz RAM @ 1800Mhz

I haven't OC'd my GTX480 yet, and seeing how it chews through damn near anything I throw at it (aside Crysis 16x quality AA on very high), I might not.

my cpu runs higher than I want at idle (30-32 degrees) but surprisingly, at full load it never goes past 54 degrees. Which is lower than I expected with such a high idle.

I find my 930 idles much higher than my 980x, oddly enough. The 980x will idle in the 20's but the 930 idles like yours, in the 30's. As for your load temps, what are you using to load the processor? Are you just gaming or running a distributed computing project like Folding or BOINC? Or are you using Prime95 or IBT or Linpack?

Just thought I'd post now that I've built and OC'd my new system.
The system is running 100% stable at good temps, build ran perfect on first boot with overclocking.

[email protected] (24/7 OC)
3x 2Gb 1600Mhz RAM @ 1800Mhz

I haven't OC'd my GTX480 yet, and seeing how it chews through damn near anything I throw at it (aside Crysis 16x quality AA on very high), I might not.

my cpu runs higher than I want at idle (30-32 degrees) but surprisingly, at full load it never goes past 54 degrees. Which is lower than I expected with such a high idle.

Your CPU gets those temps overclocked with the V8? Guess I need to re-seat/re-paste mine - I have the exact same build as you but not overlocking yet. My idle is 36c and load via Prime95 is about 59c. Ugh.

Any tips on the thermal paste application with the V8 and i7-950? For AS5.

just took a quick test for my 950 and UD3R
cooled with megahalems and scythe S-flex F, single fan. still waiting for 120x38mm clips for my San Ace.

oc to 4.0G, vcore is 1.27, temperature max at 81 under LinX, I am expecting some marginal improvement if I replace the fan with San Ace.

Anyone have any luck using a thermalright 120 on i7 950 ? I am going to be putting my new GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R and new 950 into my pc tomorrow. I plan to use my true 120 with 1366 brackets.

Yep, the TRUE does just fine on LGA1366. Set yourself up with a couple of good quality fans such as Panaflo L1BX or Scythe S-Flex SFF21F or 1850 rpm Gentle Typhoons and let her rip.

Your CPU gets those temps overclocked with the V8? Guess I need to re-seat/re-paste mine - I have the exact same build as you but not overlocking yet. My idle is 36c and load via Prime95 is about 59c. Ugh.

Any tips on the thermal paste application with the V8 and i7-950? For AS5.

Sorry for the slow response, have been enjoying my computer. If you haven't solved this problem yet, I have a suggestion for mounting your V8.

Most of the OCers I've come across suggest just putting a small circular dab of thermal compound in the middle and seating the heatsink, the idea being that the preasure from the sink will spread the compound thoroughly. In my opinion, for maximum effectiveness this mounting method is the least likely to evenly cool your cpu.

The method I prefer is applying the thermal compound in a lawnmower-esque patern (Like how you put the frosting on a toaster strudel). DO NOT mount immediately after applying. Instead, your compound or processor should have come with wax paper. Use the wax paper to smooth it out until there is an even layer across the entire contact plate on the CPU. If there is holes in your application, fill and smooth those (they can bubble later causing large cooling issues). After you have it applied thoroughly and evenly, mount the HSF.

Also, make sure to tighten your V8 until it won't tighten any further. You may be worried about damaging your CPU, but the V8 - if mounted correctly - will stop tightening once it is fully in position and won't damage your CPU.

This method is by far more time consuming then the circular dab method. But let's be honest, is the extra 10 minutes worth it to have maximum cooling performance by your CoolerMaster V8? The answer is clear to me, hell yeah. :rock:

Back