• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

400+ P4's At Our Disposal!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Large Update!

My Principle has checked out Stanford's site, and is accepting that F@H is run by Stanford. He still expressed concern about security of using this program, between our and another school's servers. Our school apparently is head of the ENTIRE Archdiocese of Philadelphia's Database...that is a TON of Catholic schools!

Anyway, I asked her if there was anything else I could do.

*She said she does not have enough time to go further with it, But I can go to our System Admin, and see if he will do it....so basically she's handing it over to him, I need to find, meet, and talk with him!!!

Does anyone have useful advice about how to approach this guy? I've met him before, he's a cool guy, but not the nicest one either.

jcw122 said:
Large Update!

My Principle has checked out Stanford's site, and is accepting that F@H is run by Stanford. He still expressed concern about security of using this program, between our and another school's servers. Our school apparently is head of the ENTIRE Archdiocese of Philadelphia's Database...that is a TON of Catholic schools!

Anyway, I asked her if there was anything else I could do.

*She said she does not have enough time to go further with it, But I can go to our System Admin, and see if he will do it....so basically she's handing it over to him, I need to find, meet, and talk with him!!!

Does anyone have useful advice about how to approach this guy? I've met him before, he's a cool guy, but not the nicest one either.
thumbsup.gif
good luck man!!!

Good luck!!
What do you know about the sys-admin, maybe you can pitch it to him, with a spin he'll like.
i.e - drop in the conversation the competitive side
focus just on the science
mention how its a good benchmark and stability test
etc etc..

Great work :thup: ... and you a getting some experience in corporate marketing too :)

I have no sysadmin experience to help you with the sell to the sysadmin - my farm is just a workgroup ... but i know a number of our supra folders are so bring any questions he may have here.

Good Luck!!

C'mon guys I really need some ideas on how to approach the system admin about this.

You may want to ask Oric & Console. They're both sys admins and the boxes they administer are where most of their Folding power comes from. And as sys admins they can give you some advice as to the benefits & unfortunately the downfalls of running F@H on a large network such as your school's.

Just remember to point out to the guy that if configured properly, the F@H client will use minimal network bandwidth, therefore not disrupting normal school activity. :thup:

I would also start small... ask to setup a single lab (20-30 comps I'm guessing) so he can see that it doesn't have any cumulative effect on the school's business.

harlam357 said:
You may want to ask Oric & Console. They're both sys admins and the boxes they administer are where most of their Folding power comes from. And as sys admins they can give you some advice as to the benefits & unfortunately the downfalls of running F@H on a large network such as your school's.

Just remember to point out to the guy that if configured properly, the F@H client will use minimal network bandwidth, therefore not disrupting normal school activity. :thup:

I would also start small... ask to setup a single lab (20-30 comps I'm guessing) so he can see that it doesn't have any cumulative effect on the school's business.

OK thanks Harlam, good thoughts about the bandwidth too, I'm aware it doesn't take up much bandwidth. I PMed Console, thanks for that tip.

Yes I am the IT manager at my company . We have 15 offices , each office runs a MS server as a domain for Active Directory , User accounts and File / Printer sharing .

I took my time setting up different tests to see if there was going to be any problems . First I setup FAH on my Personal Work PC . Then I setup a client of each of the servers , Im glad I did this as FAH showed me that I had been having problems with one of those servers so I was able to have the MB replaced before the warrenty ran out.

I then moved on to running clients on pc's with dual cores , then moved on to the rest . I dont run clients on any laptops , or any thing slower than a 1.8ghz p4.

I have never had a complaint where some one says that there computer is running slower than it used to . We leave most of our computer on over night so windows update , Virus scan , and backups can run.

The only Pc's that I run with -adv and bigpackets are conroe rigs the rest I run with wedos default onclick. So the Wu sizes arent very large Bandwith has never been hampered . We have a set amount of BW set for each location and since installing FAH we still haven't gone over the quota .

If your system admin needs some on to talk to My work email is (Clear YOur PM's)

||Console|| said:
Yes I am the IT manager at my company . We have 15 offices , each office runs a MS server as a domain for Active Directory , User accounts and File / Printer sharing .

I took my time setting up different tests to see if there was going to be any problems . First I setup FAH on my Personal Work PC . Then I setup a client of each of the servers , Im glad I did this as FAH showed me that I had been having problems with one of those servers so I was able to have the MB replaced before the warrenty ran out.

I then moved on to running clients on pc's with dual cores , then moved on to the rest . I dont run clients on any laptops , or any thing slower than a 1.8ghz p4.

I have never had a complaint where some one says that there computer is running slower than it used to . We leave most of our computer on over night so windows update , Virus scan , and backups can run.

The only Pc's that I run with -adv and bigpackets are conroe rigs the rest I run with wedos default onclick. So the Wu sizes arent very large Bandwith has never been hampered . We have a set amount of BW set for each location and since installing FAH we still haven't gone over the quota .

If your system admin needs some on to talk to My work email is (Clear YOur PM's)

Thanks for the reply/info Console.

I'll clear my PMs now.

Just be honest with the guy, point out the drawbacks (heat, power), ask for a ~20 rigs and show that those effects are negligible especially when compared with the benefits (science).

And remember: he's an IT manager, so he's probably a geek and he'll be interested in this kind of stuff :santa:

the fact that he's an IT manager does not mean that he is necessarily a geek and that he is interested in distributed computing projects. I had to explain to my IT manager at work why DVI is better for a lcd panel than using the D-SUB connector. And at another job, I tried to point out a new system monitoring program to our IT guy and he pretty much gave me the cold shoulder. In the end I'm pretty sure he just looked at the website to humor me and get me to move along.

Point is, do not assume anything. Go into it thinking you will have to explain everything about it. His biggest concern will probably be whether the program will break the computers or programs...that is really all my IT guy at work cares about. He doesn't want people installing random crap, even PuTTy for SSH, so he doesn't have to fix problems and randomly find out that some program you thought was OK conflicted with some special script he wrote or something like that.

splat said:
the fact that he's an IT manager does not mean that he is necessarily a geek and that he is interested in distributed computing projects. I had to explain to my IT manager at work why DVI is better for a lcd panel than using the D-SUB connector. And at another job, I tried to point out a new system monitoring program to our IT guy and he pretty much gave me the cold shoulder. In the end I'm pretty sure he just looked at the website to humor me and get me to move along.

Point is, do not assume anything. Go into it thinking you will have to explain everything about it. His biggest concern will probably be whether the program will break the computers or programs...that is really all my IT guy at work cares about. He doesn't want people installing random crap, even PuTTy for SSH, so he doesn't have to fix problems and randomly find out that some program you thought was OK conflicted with some special script he wrote or something like that.

It was a joke dude, chill out. I didn't say "assume" anything. I just meant that as a "don't worry too much about approaching the guy."

splat said:

Great points splat. I didn't consider his actual job, being system admin, the system safety and security is probably his highest concern. I will put that into big consideration!

Thanks

P.S. I've never seen you before Splat, just get the blues a few months ago or something?

PaciFIST69 said:
Just be honest with the guy, point out the drawbacks (heat, power), ask for a ~20 rigs and show that those effects are negligible especially when compared with the benefits (science).

And remember: he's an IT manager, so he's probably a geek and he'll be interested in this kind of stuff :santa:

Well, supposedly the guy is rich, and used to work at Microsoft, but he had medical problems a few years ago, and now he's where he is now. So yeah, I'd say he's a partial geek, but a respected one.

I will also keep in consideration that I don't need to be as formal with him as I was with the principle, that was a very good point, haven't thought of that.

Thanks.

PaciFIST69 said:
Holy thread revival batman!
shady.gif

Any updates on this?

Not yet :-/

I've been lazy. Holidays, mid-term exams, and now this week the weather have made me hesitant to go to the sysadmin.

I did write up a small thing for what I'm going to say for him, so I'm prepared to go to him. If the weather is OK next week, that's probably when I'll do it.

nice, good luck again :)
Looks like you've got it covered, but even though it is the sysadmin, I would still write up atleast a couple bullet points so I wouldnt forget anything, and I would look organized...just so he wouldnt cringe at the idea of mass-deployment.
Sounds like you've got that covered though! We'll be rootin' for ya!

**oh yeah, maybe see what kind of servers they've got....since SMP has just come out with beta since this discussion started :)

UPDATE!

I finally talked to the SysAdmin about it, he's a very chill guy, I gave him the gist of it, and he said he would check out the F@H website, and get back to me next Wednesday!!

I tried the same thing at my school, unfortunatly the county controls our network and we had no access to it. GJ!

Back