• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7200.11 Jumper pin damage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AKPl3

I recently bought the 500gb 7200.11 to be put into a motherboard that supports SATA II. To get the drive to SATA II, it requires you to remove the jumper located on the first two jumper pins (left to right).

I did so, but just as I removed the jumper, I snapped off the second pin and slightly bent all the others.

Now I want to transfer the drive to an older 939 mobo (A8V-e deluxe) but it only supports SATA I and I placed the jumper back onto the first pin (with no connection on pin 2 since its off).

Since the jumper isn't fully connected, should I expect problems with the 7200.11 and SATA I motherboard? The drive did not have any issues the few days that I ran it as a server on SATA II.

Also, I have never tried a RAID setup. Very general question: since I'll be running a server, is it recommended that I get such a setup?

I recently bought the 500gb 7200.11 to be put into a motherboard that supports SATA II. To get the drive to SATA II, it requires you to remove the jumper located on the first two jumper pins (left to right).

I did so, but just as I removed the jumper, I snapped off the second pin and slightly bent all the others.

Now I want to transfer the drive to an older 939 mobo (A8V-e deluxe) but it only supports SATA I and I placed the jumper back onto the first pin (with no connection on pin 2 since its off).

Since the jumper isn't fully connected, should I expect problems with the 7200.11 and SATA I motherboard? The drive did not have any issues the few days that I ran it as a server on SATA II.

Also, I have never tried a RAID setup. Very general question: since I'll be running a server, is it recommended that I get such a setup?
If it's for your home, not really, as there usually will only be one person accessing it at one time right? Also, RAID is not a backup, so that shouldn't be a reason for it.

Did you snap it completly off? If there is a little bit left, you could use your uber leet soldering skills to short the pins that you need. Does the drive have a setting for no pins? I know IDE drives usually default to cable select, but I know thats impossible with sata.

Check out this link. It is a great explination of all the different levels of RAID and their advantages and disadvantages. Good luck

welcome to the forums!

Since the jumper isn't fully connected, should I expect problems with the 7200.11 and SATA I motherboard?
Yes.

It may be recommended. However, my recommendation would depend on the knowledge of limiting factors (network throughput, tpye of network, amount of network traffic to be served, etc.) and what services the server is meant to provide.

Last edited:
I don't want to risk trying to find out if the drive will work on the SATA I mobo. Should I get a 2 slot SATA II controller card?

Thanks prankstar008, I've been on these forums for years and it has helped alot.

I don't want to risk trying to find out if the drive will work on the SATA I mobo. Should I get a 2 slot SATA II controller card?
Well you can plug it in to the SATA1.5Gb/s board and if it's recognized, great, and then there shouldn't be a problem running it. There is no risk in trying this.

Back