• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati radeon 9000 non pro or geforce 4 mx440

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mapleleaf1981

Registered
Hi new to all this and Ive just got given a shuttle av49n board , and 2.4ghz p4 cpu!

But I have VERY VERY low funds , and need to upgrade my 16mb matrox g450.
There are 2 cards Im considering , and these are

a 128mb geforce 4 mx440
and
a 128mb ati radeon 9000 non pro.

Can anyone tell me which is the better of the two cards , anyone had experiences with ocing either of them????
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers in advance
jon
:D

Well... the mx440 is faster, but the 9000 has pixel shaders. The 9000 is o/c locked, unless you can track down a hacked bios for it. I'd say get the mx.

You can always go with the 8500LE from Sapphire if you're that short on money. You could mod the BIOS for that into a 9100. Personally, I think the ATi card is better. If you really want a GeForce4 card, go with a Ti4200...they're much, much better than the MX series. I know they're about twice as expensive, and you can get a 9500Pro for around the same price, but they perform better than the MX. However, it all depends on how much graphic/video/gaming you're going to do with it. Go with the 8500LE/MX440 if it's regular graphics/video and not too intense gaming. UT2k3 runs great on this crappy 8500LE from Crucial. If you can afford it, go with the Ti4200/9500Pro for more demanding graphics/video.

Well I will tell you that getting 128mb cards of either is a waste. If you want to save money then get the 64mb version. Personally I would get the 9000Pro 64 mb which on pricewatch is only 3-5$ more than the non pro.

Zoilo said:
You can always go with the 8500LE from Sapphire if you're that short on money. You could mod the BIOS for that into a 9100.

Flashing a 8500's bios w/a 9100's accomplishes nothing. They're the same card.

Imho I would go for the MX440 if you were looking for OCability in the card, but if you plan on keeping the card for a little while i would probly take the 9000. Like was said earlier, 128 doesn't make a huge difference and the pro versions of teh 64mb are about 10$ (?) dearer then the non pro 128mb cards..

So I would probly go for a 64mb 9000pro...or even an 8500LE ...

but if it just between those 2 cards.. my money is ony the 9000pro... Just search round for benchmarks etc before you make your final decision :)

sdboy7777 said:

Welcome to the No Classifieds Blue's

Don't hold your breath waiting to see the classifieds at 100 posts.

The majority of your post count are Smileys and spamming to 100 is not allowed and your wasting your time.

doa22.gif

ok silversinkman didnt really get that but not too worry!!! The choice of cards I can get hold of (In uk , bearing in mind I have no c card or chequebook , so cant buy online) is:
a 128mb NON pro radeon 9000
a 128mb geforce 4 mx440
and possibly a 128mb geforce 4 ti

Any ideas , cos im stuck at £65 and my nearest shop is a pcworld store and i cant get to no where else so any suggestions would be much appreciated!
PS Thanks everyone for ur help so far as Im new to all this and am looking forward to oc'ing my 2.4 system!

If you can get the geforce4 ti (4200 I'm guessing), go for that. The 64mb ti4200s tend to perform better than the 128mb cards.

Did you say that you can't buy/find a 8500? Because that would be the way to go in your case.

As for the choice between the 9000np and the mx440, I'd say go with the mx440. It performs better than the 9000np in many cases and is able to be o/ced.

Do you plan to game?

yes bdw8 i plan to game and yes sorry i missed it is the Ti4200!
Im a big gamer , but unfortunately just dont have the budget for anything better!
God knows I wish I did!!!!
Cheers for ur advice!!!!
mapleleaf

Well, I say go for the ti4200 if you can. There is a HUGE!!!!! difference between that and the mx440. The ti4200 is a great card for the price. If you can't get that, try for the mx440. Not the best, but most people on this forum with one of these cards are very happy with its performance (compared to its price). It also allows for overclocking. Here's a link to give you an idea of what some people get when overclocking their mx440:

http://oc3dmark.octeams.com/db/01db/gf4mx440db.html

The people I have talked to with this card say its not a bad (but definately not a great) performer and they can run games like ut2003 at pretty high resolutions with some eye-candy on. What games do you plan on playing with this card?

Btw, I know what its like to be on a budget. But thats what overclocking is about (to me at least). Pay little for something and get big things out of it.

definitely urt2k3 , and hopefully anything decent that comes out , jus gonna follow that link , chhers for ur helpm mate , id like tio get something outta the pennys i can afford lol!

Hmmm, I did some thinking about this. Both cards perform about the same (in ut2k3 at least: UT2003 benchie ).

Comparison

9000np - Pixel Shader but you have to flash the bios to overclock it.

mx440 - Able to be overclocked right out of the box, but it doesn't have a Pixel Shader.

Mixed feelings...

mapleleaf1981 said:
On second thoughts I cant afford the ti card!
Stuck with the radeon non pro n the mx440!

Think im going down the path of the radeon!

Erm... the Radeon is a decent card, but surely for the price of a 128mb non-pro 9000 you can find at the very least a 9000 Pro 64mb card. A 64mb Radeon 8500LE shouldn't be that much more either. I would look a bit harder... the 9000 non-pro is not going to cut it too much longer.

They are pretty much neck and neck from what I have researched. There are some pros and cons of both, but they don't help the decision making process any easier, being that they basically cancel each other out.

Back