• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling and artifacting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jo-Jo

can someone explain to me how better then stock cooling can reduce artifacting? i have a 9700 pro. the most that i can squeeze out with stock cooling is 355.5/650. anything higher then that, artifacts will start to appear on the entire sceen. also i found this strange, test 1 in future mark 2003 will run fine , but when test two proxycon starts, all these tiny boxes start to appear.
thanks

When I put a cpu hsf on my Ti4600 I was able to overclock 20MHz further on the core and 25MHz further on the memory before artifacting.
The differents tests in 3DMark stress different parts of the video card. It's common to only get artifacts in certain tests. But that still means that your overclock is too high.

Think of a GPU like a CPU. They do basically the same thing, only while one does stuff for the system, the other does it for video. If you run your CPU too hot, it begins to make errors in it's calculations causing instability. With a GPU, because it's incorrect output is whisked right off to the screen, the system dosen't freeze for minor problems. However, you're sure to see them as artifacts.

By cooling off the GPU more, it has the same effect as cooling off the CPU. Running colder, it's more likely to run right. So, by upgrading your stock GPU fan, you can (probably) expect a higher overclock before you start to see artifacts.

JigPu

do you think a gpu water cooler would significantly help in getting better over clocks?

also by looking at this article: http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/Ati/ati9700p/?page=9

the overclock doesn't really make that much of an impact to the frame rates, considering that they overclock the core up to 371/330. when i overclocked my card to 335.5/326.25 i actaully got a negotiable performance hit in the UT2003 benchmark.

so then next question, is it really worht it to overclock card with these results in the above aticle? is worth damaging the card for just a few frame rates?

thanks

Overclocking helps my game play in some instances. For example, with my softmodded 9500np playing UT2003, I can't play the Face3 map smoothly with every detail at highest. But when I overclock it to 333/285 then its smooth as silk.
Maybe what's happening is my lowest framerate is not as low when I overclock, so I don't see any skipping.

i guess you are right. i never thought of that, helping put the bottom end to smoothen out the aveage frames per second.

Back