• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics with Optimized SETI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tek34

Would any manual changes and/or copying back of any of the graphic EXEs allow both optimized processing and the limited graphic use? Or do I need to uninstall the optimized code to get the graphics back? Will uninstalling the Lunatics installer put my Boinc back as it was? What would be the easiest way to get back to the old setup without breaking SETI or my other Boinc projects?

I am aware that the screensaver graphics uses resources that slow down SETI processing but on at least one older laptop I was trying to keep the ability to show the graphics (manually through Boinc or by screensaver), while attempting to increase processing throughput. This is just an older Win XP Duo Core laptop with no high end GPU. I limit the screensaver use or only manually display graphics as needed but it seems neither graphic capability is available after I installed the Lunatics v0.40 installer to optimize SETI. I would hate to lose the 150-250% processing gains I have been seeing because of the inability to use the graphics since the graphics can be used sparingly to minimize its impact far less than that gained by the optimized client over the stock apps.

Last edited:
If I can't run the screensaver graphics with optimized SETI, can I simply copy the five files from the oldApp_backup directory back to the SETI projects folder, remove app_info.xml, and restart Boinc to revert back to the stock applications?

Easiest way is to uninstall Lunatics and Bionic, restart computer, reinstall Bionic.
Intergrated video is not optimal for GPU work units. I found that out by using 2 laptops and 2 desktops with intergrated video. It needs to be a video CARD with atleast 512mb.

A simple windows remove program of the Lunatic installer v0.40 appears to have restored the SETI project with its stock applications including the graphics applications, without the need to uninstall BIONC. Thanks for the Lunatic uninstall recommendation. The Lunatics app appears to uninstall as easy and as well as it installed.

Too bad an optimized application with the option for partial time graphics isn't available even if full resource utilization couldn't be achieved, it would seem that significant throughput gains could still be made with limited use of the graphic apps. While researching this issue it appeared that I wasn't the only one attempting to optimize their SETI processing while wanting to keep some form of graphic capability. I would have tried to give that feedback at the Lunatics site as well but it appears that they have some sort of closed forum policy.

Back