• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon HD 9000 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you had paid attention, you would have noticed i ONLY spoke about the 290X, since the rest are just current series cards in new covers, the 290X is the new kid on the block, and that is the only card so far missing the CFX bridge feature.
Minus the snippy beginning, that is exactly right. ONly the 290X is 'made for 4k' really, so it is only on that card. :thup:

Minus the snippy beginning, that is exactly right. ONly the 290X is 'made for 4k' really, so it is only on that card. :thup:

Makes sense.

I saw the leaked pictures and the ones taken at Tech Day in Hawaii and I thought to myself "mock-up board with unfinished CF connectors". :p

So now I am wondering if you need PCI-E 3.0 to run that fancy new crossfire config or if the lowly 2.0 will support it! Might be another reason to sell this rig and upgrade...

I'm sure it will work on 2.0, but as mentioned a bit earlier, there may be a slight performance hit. Not sure though.

Its not the BF4 edition...my apologies. thanks Mattno for reading further down the thread, LOL!

Originally Posted by btarunr
FAQ #1: But it says "Battlefield 4 included," so this must be the costlier BF4 Edition?
Ans: No. BF4 Edition is a different SKU, which includes BF4 Premium key. BF4 (standard edition) is set to be already part of a Never Settle bundle that R9 290 series owners will be eligible for.

650 $ is more accurate i think. However, in term there is highly overclockable RAM added and a aftermarket cooler, its possible to have it even higher priced. Its simply in the range of a 780 GTX, so im not surprised at all.

I would say, the performance when aftermarket stuff added and when RAM is at 7000 MHz, it may be exceeding Titan performance (and equally clocked 780 GTX), so it could be well worth the price tag. Althoug i dont expect Nvidia to drop prices, they can sell even a dog poop...

Finally, have to take into account, up to christmas there will be a lot of shortage because there is simply not enough of chips available. So it wont be helping the price and the manufacturing is not cheap at all.

Last edited:
that price is prolly right for newegg, as they often gouge on new hard to get products. if the price at retail does end up at $600-650 I think I will give up on newegg as an option for my purchases

isn't this already happening? :)

$1000 GPU these days.. 5 years ago, I would had call BS on that being a possibility. :p

No kidding I couldn't believe it either. I remember when CPU's used to cost that much, but a video card?

A CPU is lesser manufacturing cost than a powerful GPU, so i dunno why people expect a GPU to be cheaper.

Even the strongest Intel CPU doesnt have the same die size and transistor count such as AMD and Nvidias GPU flagships.

A CPU is lesser manufacturing cost than a powerful GPU, so i dunno why people expect a GPU to be cheaper.

Even the strongest Intel CPU doesnt have the same die size and transistor count such as AMD and Nvidias GPU flagships.

I'd never thought about that, and you aren't kidding:

GK110 GPU: 7.1 billion transistors and a 551 mm^2 die size

LGA2011: transistor count of 2.27 Billion on a die that is just 20.8 by 20.9 mm square

What's more interesting is for how long this has been true -- all the way back to the
R200.

I have a whole new appreciation for GPU's. No wonder they're using them for
HPC applications.

No wonder GPU's suck so much power and generate so much heat.

Agreed with Ivy.

And not even talking about the high end cooling solution, pcb full of electronic components, ram modules...

Well, the die size of the new Hawaii flagship GPU is comparable to a 8 core Sandy-EP CPU (a extremely expensive CPU, its a good margin above 1000 $, not affordable for most of us), and the Radeon Hawaii GPU is still several times more transistors packed inside that die. So indeed, it cant be cheap, thats pretty sure. Nvidias flagships is even more die size, comparable to the very peak of any processors ever build. And of course several times the transistor count, so i would value those GPUs, they deserve some attention and a good price. ;)

Indeed, RAM modules, cooler and a PCB full of electronic components is another cost factor and doesnt exist for CPUs. So a flagship GPU at a price range of 650 $ (prehaps up to 700$ at launch day) would be a fair deal.

Just to add once more: I think the 512 bit bus is now officially confirmed and 4 GB RAM too. Thats a pretty pricy investment for AMD but im pretty sure the performance will be at Titan level, especially when OCing such pretty impressive ressources.

Last edited:

made for it doesnt mean it will run it well..

just like the war with Direct X, X card comes out with it first but by the time people / companies use it, those first cards can't run it for crap.

By the time 4k monitors become common place and games are truely made for that res... these cards will struggle.

Last edited:
Will run 4k (well) in crossfire, but not single card. Thats what CF is here for and the reason the 290X is having a new CF mode without bridge.

Anyway, thats a enthusiast thing, 95% of the gamers are satisfied running a game at full detail/ 60 FPS and 1080P at least, thats absolutly possible using a single GPU, even with the newest and most demanding games. Its nice to have 4k support but its still a bit to soon in order to make it a new standard (in the same way such as 1080P). That will take at least 5 more years i guess and probably up to 10 years in order to reach the mainstream.

Last edited:
Back