• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Titan + Battle Field 4 = 60 FPS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Orekah

Registered
OK so I finally finished building my dream mid tower, and got my hands on the Titan GeForce Graphics card. (Yes I know Ti is around the corner but I wanted the titan for sentimental reasons as well)
And I got it specifically in hopes of playing real games with better graphics than what I'm used to on console games.
But now I'm being headbutted in the face with 290x rants and how even the Titan cant stay on high FPS with High def on Battle Field 4 let alone Crysis (Another Game I was hoping to play with no trouble, needless to say I was stunned to know that it needs quite a bit more based on my sources and friendly advice, I am still new to building and understanding PC gaming hardware.)
So now I'm scared my purchase wasn't at all justified.
I haven't bought the game yet for out of fear of this and so I wanted to know if any of you have any truth to these accusations.
Can Titan handle Crysis and or Battle Field 4 on high def and still maintain normal Temps or not?

I only have air cooling but I can easily click off the cover for more Airflow. Not looking into water cooling yet because it is recommended to get into as a hobby as well because of maintenance even though it requires itfew and far between in a year. :shrug:

Well who cares about the performance if it's sentimental... :shrug:

OF COURSE THE TITAN PURCHASE WASN'T JUSTIFIED.

First off, welcome to the forums! :)

Secondly, what are the rest of your gaming hardware specs?

Finally, give each camp a month at least to get a proper driver for their latest cards and the game developers a patch to smooth out gameplay in general.

It sucks, but unfortunately BF4 technically still is 'beta' as are all newly released multiplayer big titles these days.

With a quick CPU, and 8+ GB of RAM, that Titan should easily run BF4 on Ultra settings @ 1920 x 1080 and get you 60 fps I would predict.

In Crysis 3, the GTX780 gets in the mid 30s for FPS with all graphical settings maxed running at 1920x1080, so I'm 99.99% sure the Titan wont get 60 FPS in Crysis 3 with those settings.

However, even turning some settings down from max will get you better graphics than consoles, so you may be able to get 60 FPS with some setting tweaking.

Thanks! I've looked around here in the past for pretty solid arguments and recommendations by other members but never joined until now, go figure.

Any way I got realized after my purchases that I got more than I needed for my tower but here is what I can remember.

I will correct any of these items since I dont
i7 4770k processor
MOBO Asus Intel z87 Sabertooth ATX Socket LGA 1150
PSU Coolmaster Platinum 1k watt
kingston SSD 240 GB
Corsair Hydro Series H100
RAM Kingston XMP 4 GB x 4 1.6k MHz DDR3

When I had Titan installed, I got 52fps in Crysis 3 and 65fps in BF4 Single player.
Card was installed in a CM 932 case with door off and stock cooler. All setting Ultra. Running a 3930k CPU. Hope this info helps.

In BF4 with the rig in my signature, I am getting no less than 60FPS with the following settings:

resolution: 1920 x 1080
All settings: Ultra
MSAA @ 2x
HBAO: off
Post Processing: Doesn't matter the setting from what I have tried
Motion blur: off

I have my framerate capped at 62fps with a console command and it will ONLY dip below 60 is I am in the middle of an explosion and the screen fills with smoke.

I am running the 13.9 drivers currently.

I think the Titan with proper drivers, a fast CPU and decent RAM will run 60 fps, but I am no nVidia expert..

EDIT:

i7 4770k processor
kingston SSD 240 GB

That is a powerful gaming rig!

Check out the 'how to' overclocking guides in these forums regarding that 4770k and get it stable up around 4.5ghz. It will do the job nicely. :)

Last edited:
In Crysis 3, the GTX780 gets in the mid 30s for FPS with all graphical settings maxed running at 1920x1080, so I'm 99.99% sure the Titan wont get 60 FPS in Crysis 3 with those settings.

However, even turning some settings down from max will get you better graphics than consoles, so you may be able to get 60 FPS with some setting tweaking.

@1080p, I run crysis 3 maxed out with FXAA between 55 and 75FPS (vsync).

It usually stays in the mid 60's.

CArd is running@1250/3220 and [email protected].

Edit: BF4 runs between 65 and 75FPS maxed out 4xMSAA.

Your FPS will be fine at 1080p Ultra w/4msaa you will average well over 60 FPS.

In BF4 with the rig in my signature, I am getting no less than 60FPS with the following settings:

resolution: 1920 x 1080
All settings: Ultra
MSAA @ 2x
HBAO: off
Post Processing: Doesn't matter the setting from what I have tried
Motion blur: off

I have my framerate capped at 62fps with a console command and it will ONLY dip below 60 is I am in the middle of an explosion and the screen fills with smoke.

I am running the 13.9 drivers currently.

I think the Titan with proper drivers, a fast CPU and decent RAM will run 60 fps, but I am no nVidia expert..

EDIT:

i7 4770k processor
kingston SSD 240 GB

That is a powerful gaming rig!

Check out the 'how to' overclocking guides in these forums regarding that 4770k and get it stable up around 4.5ghz. It will do the job nicely. :)

Thanks!
You know that's the first compliment I had on my rig.
Sadly a lot of my friends rag on me if not about one thing then another.
You spent too much on it you wont need all those specs.
290x is better than titan idiot and cheaper too.
etc etc

Another question. OCing does in fact heat up hardware faster right?
if so how long can I overclock based on my specs I gae
(I suppose I should put my rig on my sig now, lol.)

Welcome to the internet my friend. :)

No matter what you do, someone else has done it 'better' or you have made a mistake somewhere.

I have not OC'd any of the newer CPUs, but I believe they can handle a 4.5ghz with relatively low volts. That H100 cooler should do a great job of handling the heat from it. Just make sure your case has a nice flowing setup for air.. IE in one way and pushed out the other end. Everything should be fine.

People will rag on you for spending 1k on a Titan, but its your cash. If it makes you happy, that's all that matters!

It's definitely FXAA that's getting you higher FPS. I'm getting mid 30s with MSAA x8.

That isn't maxed out. Maxed out is 8xMSAA. FXAA has MUCH less impact on FPS than MSAA (and to most, looks worse than MSAA). :thup:

For 24/7 in BF4, I turn down the post processing (FXAA) to off/minimum as the IQ is better, to me, with just MSAA doing its thing on the edges leaving most other textures alone).

Last edited:
Another lame question~
Ho do I set up my signature. or is it a Ctrl+C Thing

Back