• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 4790k on an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicko555

I am wondering has anyone overclocked the 4790k on an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6.
If so do you have some shots of the bios and changes you made?
Just wanting to double check a few things. :) Thanks:clap:

Just wanting to make double sure which settings to change. think some of the names ASRock terminology is confusing me. :) It is different to what I remember.
It has the CPU input voltage which is on AUTO and I believe should stay there if I change to manual it is at 1.9v but can be adjusted. But the correct area to change the VCORE is where?
There are a few areas we can change the Adaptive mode to override. want to double check I do the right one.
Anyhow if someone can help I would be a happy man.

Just thought I would show the screens I get, so you know what I am talking about.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6346/asrock-z97-extreme4-intel-z97-motherboard-review/index3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Voltages are confusing, but once you do some overclocking, you should understand what does what.

Speaking of overclocking, the newer Bios should already have options for overclocking the 4790K, at least my Extreme 4 does. The stock bios version that came with the board had no such option. Using the 4.6GHz automatic overclock, it sets the voltages accordingly for the average amount needed for that o/c, which should help you understand what each setting does.

Thanks, I just checked my BIOS version. I have P1.20 according to AIDA64 and 1.30 seems to be the latest version. But I saw someone mention 1.33 but cant find that version.
This is what AIDA Shows.
BIOS Type AMI EFI
BIOS Version P1.20
System BIOS Date 05/08/2014

The newest BIOS from the ASRock site seem to be .
1.30 5/27/2014 Instant Flash 5.68MB 1. Update VBIOS.
2. Add i7-4790K, i5-4690K, Pentium Anniversary G3258 EZ-OC table.

So hopefully this will make it easier.

If you have screenshots of your OC settings can you post them :)

Use the Bios updute in the UEFI menu. It will connecti via your network, download the update, and apply it, without having to even start Windows.

As far as the settings, its all automatic 4.6 setting right now. It would probably be the same as yours once you update the bios.

The most confusing thing about the settings, is that you have to manually type in the voltages you want to set. I was scratching my head whenever I choose one of the settings to change, and all that came up was a blank input box. I kept hitting the + and - key, pg up, pg dn, and arrow keys to no avail. Once I update and got the automatic overclock options and saw the changes it did, it finally made sense. :beer:

What kind of cooling are you running??

I would start out slowly and first check your cpu sample's margin capability (overclock ability)

I'd manually set vcore to 1.2v, cache multi ratio to 40x and memory speed to DDR3-1600.

You can leave most of the other settings on auto.

See if you can boot into Windows and check for stability while using the 45x CPU multi?

You should also have the ASRock A-Tuning utility on your motherboard disc...

I especially like to monitor the "System Info" tab of this utility in Windows because it gives me good information about how the different voltages are being set in BIOS when using auto settings.

Attachments

• ASRock 4790K snip.PNG
    ASRock 4790K snip.PNG
    127.3 KB · Views: 16,655
Thanks, the thing is I cant see where I change the VCORE voltage in these BIOS.
Have they got another name for it?
The closest I can see is CPU Input Voltage which is not it. Any ideas.
The rest I can find and do. :)

What kind of cooler are you running??

It should look something like this... Change to "override mode" and set to ~1.2v.

Attachments

• ASRock BIOS.JPG
    ASRock BIOS.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 18,313
Thanks heaps.
OK I can see that it is a little different. But can change .
When I change the Vcore it does not show above where your has +1.232v
Not sure where to find out about my Batch I have seen 1 area but nothing on my batch.. It is a L420B832

Also cache multi ratio is that also known as CPU cache ratio. thats what is in my BIOS.

Also I am running a Corsair H110. current temps are about 30 idle and when at 100% load using AIDA64 I am at low to mid 50's

Now adding to the above. this is what I have found and can change.
DRAM at 1600 NOT auto or the 2400 it is. Was Auto showing 1333???????
XMP only has 2 options Auto and Profile 1 (1.3) NO OFF Option.
CPU VCORE Voltage mode to Override.
VCORE Override Voltage to 1.200
CPU Ratio. All Core at 45
CPU Cache Ratio at 40. But read it should be 1 to 1 or very close. Why only 40?

Do these settings look OK?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think it is best to zero in on your sample's core overclocking margin (overhead) first to see just what it can do without having cache or memory factoring into the mix.

Keeping cpu cache ratio at stock 40x and memory down at default ddr-1600 takes those two variable out of the equation while you begin your initial testing.

Later once you have tested and know what your particular chip's voltage requirements are for 45x, 46x or even 47x(+)? Then you go back and test with higher cache and memory speeds.

It is much harder to pin down a weakness that might be causing intability if you are testing all three variables at the same time.

Stock for 4790K is 40x/40x and many samples find it harder to run 1:1 ratio as the overclock climbs... i.e. 45x/45x and 46x/46x is much harder to stabilize then 45x/40x or something like 46x/42x etc.

I'd leave XMP on Auto and try to manually set memory to 1600 speeds with timings set to auto or something like 10-10-10-28 for initial testing.

Again... The idea is to find out how much voltage your chip needs to run with stability at something like 44x, 45x or 46x, etc... Then you later go back and test the strength of the uncore (cache) and the IMC (memory) at higher speeds.

Cool, that sounds good.
Do you have any info on my CPU batch #L420B832

OK I am at 4.6 at 1.25v I actually did 4.6 at 1.2v but went back and changed it to 1.25.
Did AIDA64 for a few mins and temps got to 60 under load and are at about 30 idle.
What do you think?

Attachments

• 2014-08-03_7-52-18.png
    2014-08-03_7-52-18.png
    541.2 KB · Views: 16,633
Last edited:
I have the same exact combo arriving in a few days. Except my ram is Gskill Snipers 2133's which run @ 2200. This is going to be fun :D

Your system looks to be running great. Have you tried dropping the vcore to 1.2 and run P95?

Subbed for future info

Must say at this very early stage I am happy. :)

No, but I read running p95 was not recommended for the latest CPU's. Is that right or wrong.
If it is OK to run it what settings, Small FFT's Blend or what?
Thanks.

I run blend mode with my 4790k, WATCH THOSE TEMPS.
the cache will not pay you anything, i run mine 2 below the cpu.

90' they will do but it looks like you might have a top cpu so 80 should be the limit.

Holly **** the temps went nuts. Into the 90's almost immediately, but did not crash. I just stopped it. :(
That was doing p95 small fft's Strange AIDA64 only got to 60 odd.
I did not expect there to be that much difference.

Last edited:
Holly **** the temps went nuts. Into the 90's almost immediately, but did not crash. I just stopped it. :(
That was doing p95 small fft's Strange AIDA64 only got to 60 odd.
I did not expect there to be that much difference.

Without delidding and using only CLP or CLU on the die, 90's is what smalls will get you even at 1.25v.

Im gaming at 75C when my loop warms up.

CLU just got here today, maybe tomorrow Ill get it put in.

small makes lots and lots of heat, use it to test your cooling system, run blend, it will make lots of heat to but running it for 2 hours is enough.

Back