• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini LAN rig mk.II (12" x 15" x 3.5")

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
why not just lacquer the case so you can keep ya cool sanded finish ?
its a realy cool case iv in the midlle of a Aluminum CaseSize: 6 1/4 x 18 1/4 x 13 3/4 is it big up against yours ,,,

I,v just got a old slot p2 to put in it it would never fit a csae as small as yours

thanks for the offer cpt. but i think i can manage it myself.so if you move the PSU do you lose your PCI slots? I was going to find a PCI video card with Svideo out. perhaps that PCI riser with ribbion cables is a good idea? or does anyone make a half hight AGP vid card( i found some micro atx mobos with AGP.

Tbird man said:
thanks for the offer cpt. but i think i can manage it myself.so if you move the PSU do you lose your PCI slots? I was going to find a PCI video card with Svideo out. perhaps that PCI riser with ribbion cables is a good idea? or does anyone make a half hight AGP vid card( i found some micro atx mobos with AGP.

Here's a low profile GF2 MX 32MB SDR for $45

The power supply included with the Netvista case is non-standard and is half an inch smaller than a rackmount standard PSU. So unless you use a cable extender and the PSU externally you'll need to mount it like so...

Attachments

• invader9.jpg
    invader9.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 220
Tbird man said:

Yes, the flexible PCI riser would be a good idea and would allow you to mount a full size PCI card over the northbrodge.

The 1U PSU I have appearantly has a facade cover OVER the actual inner PSU and I'm trying to remove the outer casing to see if I can fit this PSU into the original PSU slot... I only need to remove 1/2 of an inch for it to fit.

Tbird man said:
now i need to find some half height cards.

Directron.com and a couple of other online stores have low profile PCI modems. Just make sure they include the 8cm bracket.

Low profile PCI graphics cards are proving very difficult to find...

Zer0fight3r said:
Looks Sweet, what kinda heatsink fits?

Anything shorter than 60mm. 55mm high heatsinks are safer because they'll be able to breath. This height limit eliminates everyone's favorite HSF from being used (the AX-7).

1U HSF fans are best for this tight case but are not completely necessary.

But seeing as this is a REALLY tiny case I don't think I'd recommend it for squeezing any Athlon chips inside du to power consumption issues. I'm barely going to be able to fit a Celeron based baming system in this thing. And in order to do so I have to use laptop sized drives (because I'm using the AGP slot).

The whole project will be finished in mid-september because I'm asking for a low profile GF4 mx420 to be used with this system.

Yay!!! I'm currently winning an auction for a laptop DVD drive so my mini gaming system will be able to play DVDs. :)

Captain Slug said:

Yes, the flexible PCI riser would be a good idea and would allow you to mount a full size PCI card over the northbrodge.

The 1U PSU I have appearantly has a facade cover OVER the actual inner PSU and I'm trying to remove the outer casing to see if I can fit this PSU into the original PSU slot... I only need to remove 1/2 of an inch for it to fit.

see if you can take the guts ou tof the 1u ps and put them in the case from the other, it may work...

AgEnT0140 said:
wow, i want one now :D so thisi where the 12gb laptop drive you bought from me is going? glad i could help you on your way to a kick *** lan rig :D

Yep, But I've run into a few snags because the motherboard that just arrived is the wrong one.
Your hard drive will be put to good use and will save some much needed weight and space in this project.
I have another laptop HDD but it's only 800mb, which is just barely enough for Windows 98SE alone.

Originally posted by Tbird Man
i found shuttle has a flex atx mobo with AGP and P4 support. not avilable alone though

Keep your eyes peeled for the Asus P4B-FX. It's a Flex ATX P4 motherboard with AGP 4x and two PC133 DIMM slots. I haven't seen ANY other Flex ATX P4 solutions yet and I'm hoping somebody other than SHuttle will step upto the plate.

Flex ATX Motherboards (9.0" x 7.5") that DON'T have ISA slots will fit this case without heavy modification.
The easiest thing to do as far as building a system in this case is concerned is to simply use a Mini-ITX motherboard.
Mini-ITX currently limits you to Via C3 Processors, so you'd be building a budget Home Theater PC until better Mini-ITX solutions arrive.

One such motherboard is the Shuttle SV25 motherboard which is available on it's own from a few online vendors. It has an open Socket 370 slot.
However, it only has one PCI slot.

I finished the new and highly improved paint job yesterday and BOY does the look of this case improve after just one coat.
This is Autmotive chrome which required heavy buffing after it dried. The drive door was painted automotive charcoal to give a little contrast towards the translucent black cover that hides the LEDs.

I now have two complete matching chrome cases, one which will eventually be sold if I don't need it...

It looks as though 95Watts is only enough for a sub-800mhz Celeron and integrated graphics.

So I am now going to attempt putting my 300W PSU on a crash diet. The only screw holding the outer shell on stripped after a few turns of my screw drive so I'm going to have to drill through it.

BBL, to show everyone the aftermath...

Capt., my grandpa's NetVista has the same front bezel as yours does...did IBM make all there systems with the same bezel or something?

Back