• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

standing up or lying down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brojoh2

Registered
Does it make any difference if your radiator is standing up (inlet/outlet @ top) or lying down (inlet/outlet @ one side; top and bottom)? Now that I actually have all the parts in hand, along with both hdd's for RAID setup, I find that I'm a little short on space to stand it up.

I'd appreciate a speedy response, if you please. Thanx. Chompin' @ the bit . . .

I dont think it matters, the only thing is maybe you want the input from your waterblock to go into the top of it and exit at the bottom. That way you have gravity helping your flow.

wouldn't think it would matter at all. Like TT120 said, if you have an inlet and outlet at different heights such as the Cube from dangerden then use the bottom for output. But, i don't think I have seen a horizontal radiator. Also, if you have a drop down radiator, then obviously it has to be vertical.

I would say it doesn't matter at all, since you're pumping the water through it, and it's really just some more tubing for it to go through. You just want to have access to outside air with it, is all.

its the ambigious consensus, it doesn't matter, we think. Although I think all of us are pretty sure.

(I am no water cooling expert) but I think like the others if the tube is under pressure it makes little difference, use gravity if you can but it's not life threatening if you can't, what I would be concerned with is which way would give you the best air flow / most contact area out of the case because this is going to directly effect how well it cools.

I may be wrong but I think if your radiator has tanks (a top and bottom tank kind of like a car radiator) then it must be mounted vertical.

But if your radiator is tankless (like an oil or transmision cooler) you can mount it at any angle that you want.

Staz (Apr 19, 2001 08:58 p.m.):
I may be wrong but I think if your radiator has tanks (a top and bottom tank kind of like a car radiator) then it must be mounted vertical.

But if your radiator is tankless (like an oil or transmision cooler) you can mount it at any angle that you want.

Couldn't see how it would make a difference, if the system is full (no air), sealed and under pressure it should make no difference, but if the water in the tanks could empty into a resoviour below it leaving big air pockets then yes I would agree with you.

it would matter if you had two tanks, you don't want to have to pull the water through the radiator, and at least let gravity help you.

dunno260 (Apr 19, 2001 09:58 p.m.):
it would matter if you had two tanks, you don't want to have to pull the water through the radiator, and at least let gravity help you.

This actually raises an interesting question do you really want gravity helping, if by using gravity the water passes quicker through the cooler this may be detrimental, as you need the water to be there long enough for it to echange heat with the cooler.

Which opens up another can of worms....
would slowing down the flow of water increase tranference of heat to the cooler?

maybe so sort of speed control could be used to see what was the most effecient speed to run the water.
i.e place full load on the CPU, watch temp and slowly vary the speed (could also crimp the pipe or put a tap in the line)

Back