• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP Hot 1GHZ thunderbird!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ackbar

Registered
I have a 1ghz thunderbird processor (not overclocked) and an ASUS A7V motherboard. I bought an Alpha PAL 6025 heatsink with a Swiftech fan about a month ago, yet it seems to be running hot. I applied a thin amount of thermal paste when installing the fan. The motherboard temp is 33C and the processor temp is currently 55.5C when running United Devices Agent. Why would it be running so hot? Is the difference of 20C between motherboard and processor normal?

Thanks in advance,
Ackbar

I have one intake fan on the bottom front and one exhaust in the back, near the processor... I'm using motherboard monitor, bios, and sisoft sandra for telling temps... all are the same. I have no idea what lapping is.

Lapping is simply sanding the bottom of the heatsink flat to give better contact. Better case airflow would also help.

Shouldn't the intake fan be near the cpu so the cool air flow will hit the cpu first, then the out fan in the front? ehh...maybe?

Not nesessarily, heat rises so if you tried to suck it out the front most would be trapped in the upper reaches of the case. Ideally you could cut a hole (blowhole) on the top of the case to aid in the removal of unwanted heat.

And now for the age old question, do you have the fan sucking or blowing on the heatsink? Those alpha's liked the fan to be sucking the air from them.

TT120 (Apr 20, 2001 07:02 p.m.):
And now for the age old question, do you have the fan sucking or blowing on the heatsink? Those alpha's liked the fan to be sucking the air from them.

It's sucking.

ackbar (Apr 21, 2001 12:13 p.m.):
TT120 (Apr 20, 2001 07:02 p.m.):

It's sucking.
try reseating the HSF onto the CPU and also try a bit more paste it might help.

Back