• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core I3/I5 Clarkdale prices up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hey Zeus

I3 530 - 128.99
I3 540 - 148.99
I5 650 - 199.99
I5 660 - 213.99
I5 661 - 213.99
I5 670 - 299.99

ZipZoomFly.Com

According to the ads that come up with the prices. The I3's will have HT and the I5's will have Turbo and HT. Kinda wish i went with a 660 now :(

Last edited:
Hey Zeus, :welcome: to OCForums...thanks for the heads up :D

Was this in a paper ad? Or online somewhere? If so, a link would be helpful...thanks! :beer:

Hey man, ninja edit, can you answer my question? Thanks ;)

I didn't see the question before so i couldn't answer it. :cool:

The links aren't working yet. To see the prices and description do the following :

Google Core i3 530 and so on
Click the shopping tab
ZZF will be on the first or last page

Example :

13540.jpg
15650.jpg

i3 has 2 cores and no hyperthreading. the new i5 has 2 cores and hyperthreading. The existing i5 750 has 4 cores and no hyperthreading.

As I'm about to order new stuff for my new rig, should I get the i5 750 or wait for the new i5's? I'd imagine the price of i5 750 would drop when the new i5 comes out.

Reviews are few and far but one review suggests the new i5 are overclocker beasts because of smaller chip size.

So far I would see no reason to buy less than four cores if you do more than just gaming.

I would say the 750 would be the best General all around CPU.

I think whether Hyperthreading is worth it is still out for debate. Logical or Virtual Cores, that is the question. If it proves that Hyperthreading is all its cracked up to be, then I would go with the i5 or i7 if your doing any encoding/maximum multitasking, but if you use your computer for internet and gaming, then even the i3 will suffice, it will be like buying a good E8600.

i3 has 2 cores and no hyperthreading. the new i5 has 2 cores and hyperthreading. The existing i5 750 has 4 cores and no hyperthreading.

Not according to ZZP. I3 has HT, I5 has HT and Turbo

If they sell the I3 without HT it will be a big mistake

I know it's not the most reliable source but wikipedia shows the I3 with NO hyperthreading or turbo and the new I5's with HT and turbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_Intel_microprocessors#Core_i3

The I5 670 is gonna do some serious clock's on air, 26x multi with 32nm fab!!!! Probably 5ghz on air with moderate voltage, I may trade my I5 750 in for one of these!

you know your i5 750 has 4 cores and ALL of the new ones only have 2 cores?
I'd take YOURS any day.

I know it's not the most reliable source but wikipedia shows the I3 with NO hyperthreading or turbo and the new I5's with HT and turbo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_Intel_microprocessors#Core_i3

The I5 670 is gonna do some serious clock's on air, 26x multi with 32nm fab!!!! Probably 5ghz on air with moderate voltage, I may trade my I5 750 in for one of these!

Pretty sure that if ZZF says the I3 will have hyperthreading in there ads it's going to have it. Anyone want a I3 540? Def going to be returning it and getting a 660

you know your i5 750 has 4 cores and ALL of the new ones only have 2 cores?
I'd take YOURS any day.

I know E8600's clocked at 5ghz on air that beat an I5 at 4ghz in most benchmarks. An I5 dual core with HT should do much better than an E8600.

I don't multitask too much, I mostly play games and surf the internet with no more than like 6-8 tabs open at once. The I5 750 is WAY overkill for me, playing COD WAW the cpu usage never goes about 25% ever LOL. So basically I'd just like a CPU clocked to 5ghz on air! It's newer 32nm tech, so it should run even cooler.

BTW guys, even if the I3 has no HT, I don't see this a problem. The I3 is simply replacing the core 2 duo as the bottom line intel has to offer. Whats wrong with it just being a straight dual core? Definitely more powerful than any AMD dual core and even better than any core 2 duo.

Pretty sure that if ZZF says the I3 will have hyperthreading in there ads it's going to have it. Anyone want a I3 540? Def going to be returning it and getting a 660

Not according to ZZP. I3 has HT, I5 has HT and Turbo

If they sell the I3 without HT it will be a big mistake

IIRC, there have been people showing screenshots of engineering sample i3s, without HT. Do you believe everything you see in ads? I sure don't. Also, I see no problem with not having 4 logical cores, you can still get plenty of stuff done on duals nowadays.

I know E8600's clocked at 5ghz on air that beat an I5 at 4ghz in most benchmarks. An I5 dual core with HT should do much better than an E8600.

I don't multitask too much, I mostly play games and surf the internet with no more than like 6-8 tabs open at once. The I5 750 is WAY overkill for me, playing COD WAW the cpu usage never goes about 25% ever LOL. So basically I'd just like a CPU clocked to 5ghz on air! It's newer 32nm tech, so it should run even cooler.

BTW guys, even if the I3 has no HT, I don't see this a problem. The I3 is simply replacing the core 2 duo as the bottom line intel has to offer. Whats wrong with it just being a straight dual core? Definitely more powerful than any AMD dual core and even better than any core 2 duo.

I think I heard something about the i3s also being able to take their voltage like a man again (remember the 65nm chips?). We might be seeing chips in the 6-7ghz range again. :D

Because what is the point of doing a 1:1 upgrade for 300-350 Bones for 5-10% increase in cooling/power consumption. If your going to do it, do it right and go with the i5 750 or i7 on either platform. The i3s are not the Core2Quads of yesteryear, they are the 1.6 Celerons.

I think I heard something about the i3s also being able to take their voltage like a man again (remember the 65nm chips?). We might be seeing chips in the 6-7ghz range again. :D

I'd be happy with 5.2ghz on air with 4 threads! (26x200) Right now I run 200x20 on my I5 750, or turbo 21x is 4.2ghz. I've gotten best of 4.3ghz with 205X21.

I'd be happy with 5.2ghz on air with 4 threads! (26x200) Right now I run 200x20 on my I5 750, or turbo 21x is 4.2ghz. I've gotten best of 4.3ghz with 205X21.

I have been able to run at 200X21 too, but the heat and Voltage is rediculous. Being a budget system, there is no way I would throw another 400 dollar cooling system at a i3 or i5 Just for another 200 MHz Overclock. True, getting 5GHz on a dual core would be sweet, but haven't most of us come to realize that the 5GHz number is just a number. We actually have to be able to use our computers on a daily basis, without us shutting down the power company or turning our computer room into a sauna.

I agree, i3 will make great benchers, and there is probably a crowd out there that they are specifically designed for, but I think that most computer users will be more than happy with a i5 or i7 as the cost will come down and thus compete better with the i3.

The new Core i3 and i5 are both going to have 2 cores and 4 threads. The major difference is that the i5 will have Turboboost which will make them look great in stock speed benchmarks but won't matter as much for overclockers. The i5 also has full virtualization (VT-x and VT-d) while the i3 will have just VT-x. The i3 are best thought of as replacements for the lower part of Core 2 Duo (e7000) line with the Core i5 as replacement for the e8000 line. However given their pricing the new Core i5 600 series only make sense if one is going to use the integrated graphics, the i5 750 with 4c/4t at $200 isn't much more expensive.

Because what is the point of doing a 1:1 upgrade for 300-350 Bones for 5-10% increase in cooling/power consumption. If your going to do it, do it right and go with the i5 750 or i7 on either platform. The i3s are not the Core2Quads of yesteryear, they are the 1.6 Celerons.

...not quite. The Core i3s will be fairly decent. There is going to be a Pentium branded G9650 which is 2c/2t and is more of a Celeron-type CPU that will start at $87 and be a replacement for the current Pentium branded Core 2 Duos. I haven't seen anything about new CPUs below that so some type of Core 2 Duo, maybe Pentium branded, will continue on in the $35-80 range currently occupied by Celerons and Pentium Core 2 Duos. The current i5 and i7 CPUs won't come down in price aside from some clock speed bump replacements perhaps with the current CPUs just phasing out not price dropping, why would Intel compete with itself especially since the new CPUs are meant to take up lower price points to replace other CPUs?

I have been able to run at 200X21 too, but the heat and Voltage is rediculous. Being a budget system, there is no way I would throw another 400 dollar cooling system at a i3 or i5 Just for another 200 MHz Overclock. True, getting 5GHz on a dual core would be sweet, but haven't most of us come to realize that the 5GHz number is just a number. We actually have to be able to use our computers on a daily basis, without us shutting down the power company or turning our computer room into a sauna.

I agree, i3 will make great benchers, and there is probably a crowd out there that they are specifically designed for, but I think that most computer users will be more than happy with a i5 or i7 as the cost will come down and thus compete better with the i3.

At 4.0 and 1.40 Vcore my I5 stays below 55c core temp with the TRUE cpu cooler.
At 4.3ghz, and 1.5875 Vcore it still maxxes out at 63c! TRUE ftw! And with a gtx285 I'm running an OCZ 700w PSU, it's been fine with everything maxxed out OC. I've even had a 4870 X2 in there and scored 26k with 3dmark06 and 18k vantage, everything holds up.

I'll wait for some results of the I5 660, but I do believe a 660 at 5ghz will be better for my needs than a 750 at 4ghz.

The new Core i3 and i5 are both going to have 2 cores and 4 threads.

What intel(no pun intended LOL) are you basing this from?

The only difference between I5 and I3 is turbo boost? That sounds really dumb IMO, would make more sense if the I3 was a straight dual core because it's what they are using to replace core 2 duo.

I did this neat thing called searching the internet. :D Stupid or not that's what I found, and to me it would be stupid to replace 2 cores with 2 cores. There's no advancement in a new 2 core CPU for the mass market dingdongs who wouldn't know the difference between a C2D and a Core i3. While Turboboost does provide some room for clock speed advancement we are out of the clock speed-as-performance era and in to the multicore/multithread era and both Intel and AMD want to push that. Single core CPUs are almost completely out of the market or priced the same as dual cores, a trend that has been going on for some time, so why would they introduce a new dual core to replace dual cores?

However there does seem to be some conflicting information. Sources from around August all say that Core i3 (500 series, some misname them as i5-500) will have HT while some other sources later say it won't. So I suppose it could go either way but I'm betting on them having HT and no Turboboost - like I said Turboboost is a big part of stock speed benchmarks. With neither HT or Turboboost there would not be much advantage over C2Ds.

Back