• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is HD5870 overpriced?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

I just found Asus selling Radeon HD4870 1 Gb for 177 $ while Radeon HD5870 1 Gb selling for 520 $..

Does that make nay sense? LOL! No.. Knowing that two HD4870 have the same performance as the HD5870 - it does not make any..

More over, the HD5970 2 Gb is 795 $...

Why the heck is HD5870 so expensive?

Do you remember when HD3870X2 came out and when HD4870X2 came out? Those were more expensive to buy than CrossFire HD3870 or HD4870 cards.

Now with the HD5870 suddenly it is the other way!:confused:

No i looked at a retailer store where there was 1 Gb version, and 520 $ was the cheapest price. The other 1 Gb version was 550 $ and there is no 2 Gb version.

And of course i know that in newegg everything is cheaper. I was talking about the disbalance in prise between the cards in the same store from the same retailer...

Then thats your stores/location. I linked where to get them at the prices I mentioned...

Brick and mortar (think Bestbuy) are usually more expensive then newegg and other etailers.

I just bought my sapphire vapor-x 5870 1gb card for $450.00 (510.00 taxes included)..
I also bought a sapphire 5970 2gb card for a customer for $690.00 (790 taxes included)..
prices are in CAD which is on par with USD pretty much..
USD prices though for cards are a lot lower!

I dont think that 2 4870's in crossfire would give me the performance that my single 5870 does though..
I used to own a vapor-x 4890 1gb card for the record..

Last edited:
Don't forget that the 5xxx cards are dx11!

Here is my 5870 in action, stock clocks. I am pretty happy with it. Right before this card I had an EVGA 285 gtx 1gb and it just wouldnt run stuff like Crysis or BC2 anywhere near their max settings. Plus it was 'only' a DX10 Card.

Crysis 1.2 + RealLifesis Mod ToD1 option
1920 x 1080, AAx2 ~ 30-40 fps

Rig is:

i7 920 C0 @ 3.5 ghz
6 gb OCZ @ 1600 mhz
Asus Rampage II mobo
Noctua NH-U12 se cooler

crysisRLmod2.jpg

I just bought my sapphire vapor-x 5870 1gb card for $450.00 (510.00 taxes included)..
I also bought a sapphire 5970 2gb card for a customer for $690.00 (790 taxes included)..
prices are in CAD which is on par with USD pretty much..
USD prices though for cards are a lot lower!

I dont think that 2 4870's in crossfire would give me the performance that my single 5870 does though..
I used to own a vapor-x 4890 1gb card for the record..

Depends on the game and if crossfire is supported well. If yes, then two 4870s are right around a single 5870 give or take a few fps. Two 4890s will edge out a single 5870...again, assuming the game does well with crossfire and you have the CPu to push it.

But neither have DirectX 11 support, and all the 48XXs run about twice as hot as the 58XXs.

Tokae, i know know you should be glad with those results in Crysis...

But lol, Crysis is for a while now, and we all have already finished it at least once.
So i am just wandering - are you happy with these results just because your card can deliver over 30 FPS on 1080P or you actually have not finished the game and now for the first time you will play it with this powerful video card.. Heheh.. Or maby you play multiplayer every day on those high settings..

But still, same vendor HD5870 should be 2 or 2,2 times more expensive than HD4870, not 3 times...

Tokae, i know know you should be glad with those results in Crysis...

But lol, Crysis is for a while now, and we all have already finished it at least once.
So i am just wandering - are you happy with these results just because your card can deliver over 30 FPS on 1080P or you actually have not finished the game and now for the first time you will play it with this powerful video card.. Heheh.. Or maby you play multiplayer every day on those high settings..

But still, same vendor HD5870 should be 2 or 2,2 times more expensive than HD4870, not 3 times...

Hey Artas,

I merely use Crysis as a benchmark.. Its a highly scalable game that can still beat up most hardware when configured right.. Basically what I was trying to show was that the card will run that game on custom settings at 1920 x 1080 with AAx2 and get low to decent framerates. Running in dx 11 no less. I would like to see someone's screenshot of the game running with 2 x 4870's in crossfire and see what framerates it gets as I never got to try that combination myself.

I understand what you are asking about though regarding the price of the card vs. 2 4870's but you also have to realize that old hardware is just that.. Old. It will always drop significantly in price. If more people could look past the latest and greatest and get decent performance still out of old stuff, those 4870's would not be soo cheap.. By the way, where are you located? The price of cards you mentioned seemed very high..

Hey Artas,

I merely use Crysis as a benchmark.. Its a highly scalable game that can still beat up most hardware when configured right.. Basically what I was trying to show was that the card will run that game on custom settings at 1920 x 1080 with AAx2 and get low to decent framerates. Running in dx 11 no less. I would like to see someone's screenshot of the game running with 2 x 4870's in crossfire and see what framerates it gets as I never got to try that combination myself.

I can bench ya two 4890s later...what game settings you want? :D

I understand what you are asking about though regarding the price of the card vs. 2 4870's but you also have to realize that old hardware is just that.. Old. It will always drop significantly in price. If more people could look past the latest and greatest and get decent performance still out of old stuff, those 4870's would not be soo cheap.. By the way, where are you located? The price of cards you mentioned seemed very high..

Exactly old tech drops i'ts value like crazy. I'll bet my 4890s are worth 5 bucks less every month since 5XXX hit the scene, and once 6XXX comes out I won't be able to give them away. :fight:

I can bench ya two 4890s later...what game settings you want? :D

Whoa nice! I was wondering how well Crysis would run..
1920 x 1080 AAx2

With Real Lifesis mod installed using ToD1

I got my fps using fraps in the corner..

just ran around the first daylight area etc..

whats the rest of your rig like?

Whoa nice! I was wondering how well Crysis would run..
1920 x 1080 AAx2

With Real Lifesis mod installed using ToD1

I got my fps using fraps in the corner..

just ran around the first daylight area etc..

whats the rest of your rig like?

Rig is in my sig...I can run the CPU anywhere you want at or below 3.8ghz. I'll run fraps and just pull a few random screen shots for ya. Also, if you can think of any free synthetic benches we could both run those. I have full version of Vantage as well. Will be later on tonight, I have a meeting with a client in a couple hours, after that I'll bench.

So run it at "1920 x 1080 AAx2" regular/high/very high?
Do you have a link to the mod your running (I never modded Crysis before)?

O great! I am also excited about Crysis CrossFire HD4890 versus single HD4890 benchmarks! Since in all of the benchmarks you can find these days, the HD5870 is compared to the likes of HD5850, HD4870X2, GTX295, GTX470 and GTX480. And also since there is no HD4890X2..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...tx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/9

Just look how well HD4870X2 does here, placing between GTX470 and GTX480..

Based on your benchmark, xokeman, we should be able to speculate how would CF HD4890 compete VS GTX470 and GTX480.. I can actually see CF HD4890 beating GTX480.. I only wonder why there are no CF HD4890 benches around. I bet nvidia payed the reviewers not to show a disastrous view (joke)...

How are you going to OC your Phenom CPU? 3.6 or 3.8 GHz? What are the DDR3 latencies?

I will later do a Crysis DX10 test myself on 1920X1080 + 2X AA with E8400 oced to 3.6 or 3.8 GHz, coupled with CF HD4870.

But why don't you do a couple of tests? One custom with Lifesis and one standart? What test do you think we should use, so that we could both replicate the same situation?

Last edited:
The crysis gpu test is probably our best bet, otherwise my quad might have an edge. We need benches that don't favor quads. Even then we won't be apples to apples, but we can probably still make some educated guesses.

I'm not sure why there arnt many 4890 comparisons. It wasn't an insanely popular card, and certainly not atis best product launch from what I recall.

I actually think that it is you, who will suffer, because of your bigger DDR3 latencies. I did some tests, and Kingston HyperX 1066 MHz DDR2 with 7 ns, outperformed Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz DDR3 with 9 ns.

Actually when i downclocked DDR2 speed from 1066 to 800, the latencies dropped to 6 nanoseconds, and my results were even better, and since both CPU/RAM worked on a 400 MHz FSB, there was nothing to loss.

Your CPU is 2 Mb L2 cache per core. It even might be more fair if i drop a Core 2 Duo E6700 next to E8400 and OC it to 3.6 GHz (which i did), because we know that Core 2 Duo E8400/E8500/E8600 CPUs, when oced at the same speed as their competitors, outperform both the Phenom II 965 and the Core 2 Quad Q9400 in all games, those benefit only from dual core.
I have not heard that Crysis would benefit from quad core. I only heard that games like Lost Planet, Supreme Commander, and perhaps some other title i have forgotten benefit.

Last edited:
Upgraded from a 4870 1GB to a 5870 1GB (sold the 4870 for like $105, paid $390 for the 5870) worth every penny. Would I have paid $520? Hell no.

WTF

Upgraded from a 4870 1GB to a 5870 1GB (sold the 4870 for like $105, paid $390 for the 5870) worth every penny. Would I have paid $520? Hell no.

Keep your "worth every penny" commentary in your own book!!!

Paying 3,5X more money for a card that only delivers 2X the performance is the most stupid thing i could think off... Unless you really have so much money that you don't care.. In my book i call it - irrational . Especially considering the fact, that for ATI it is only like 1,2X - 1,5X times more expensive to make a HD5870 than HD4870. And they sell it like 2,8 times more expensive - a total rip off.

This is the same case when NVIDIA released GTX280 and you could buy two 8800GT cards for less money and get the same performance - i see the same stupid pattern in ATI now.

The man who bought a HD4870 1 Gb for a 100 bucks must be the luckiest son of a gun in the world..

Don't forget that the 5xxx cards are dx11!

Here is my 5870 in action, stock clocks. I am pretty happy with it. Right before this card I had an EVGA 285 gtx 1gb and it just wouldnt run stuff like Crysis or BC2 anywhere near their max settings. Plus it was 'only' a DX10 Card.

Crysis 1.2 + RealLifesis Mod ToD1 option
1920 x 1080, AAx2 ~ 30-40 fps

Rig is:

i7 920 C0 @ 3.5 ghz
6 gb OCZ @ 1600 mhz
Asus Rampage II mobo
Noctua NH-U12 se cooler

crysisRLmod2.jpg

Here is Crysis on a 2.5 year old gaming PC 8800 GT, I found a screenshot.

Attachments

• crysis.JPG
    crysis.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
Keep your "worth every penny" commentary in your own book!!!

Paying 3,5X more money for a card that only delivers 2X the performance is the most stupid thing i could think off... Unless you really have so much money that you don't care.. In my book i call it - irrational . Especially considering the fact, that for ATI it is only like 1,2X - 1,5X times more expensive to make a HD5870 than HD4870. And they sell it like 2,8 times more expensive - a total rip off.

This is the same case when NVIDIA released GTX280 and you could buy two 8800GT cards for less money and get the same performance - i see the same stupid pattern in ATI now.

The man who bought a HD4870 1 Gb for a 100 bucks must be the luckiest son of a gun in the world..

You must be new to the computer hardware scene :p

The 4870 was $300 at launch. A bit over one year later, the 5870 was $380, at least at launch. ~27% more money for 200% performance. Yes, prices of used 4870s dropped through the floor when the new series came out. That should come as no surprise. What did come as a surprise was the level of performance improvement for such a small price increase. Double speed for a quarter more money, in the space of a year? If you think that's a ripoff, I really can't help.

Call it irrational if you want, but there is always a premium to be paid for the top performing part, and last-gen hardware rarely holds value. If you don't want to participate in the upper end market, go ahead and grab a 5670 or GT 240 or something.

Back