• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to cache + boot off a single SSD. (FAO knufire et al)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samion

Registered
Hi, this forum has been good to me helping me out, so just to follow up on a discussion earlier re: how to cache and boot off a single SSD. I said I'd read somewhere it's possible and I've found the link as I understand it's not common knowledge how to do so on this forum. It's a thread from another forum. I've read through it but a lot of it started getting above my head tbh but from what I gather it's possible. So I hope this is of help to someone (I've not tried it yet as I'm still tryign to work out the best system to build)

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2172381

Thanks for the info, and if no one has done so yet, :welcome: to the forums.

Thanks dark :)

Ocnoob, what I mean is, on a z68 board (which supports using an SSD as a cache drive for a normal HDD) you can boot from the SSD *and* use another partition of the same SSD to cache the HDD to speed it up.

This seems to have been thought of as impossible on this forum, as far as I can make out.

Basically, you can have your OS on an SSD and still use it to cache your HDD. As far as I knew, the conclusion of the giant thread here when Z68 motherboards first came out is that we couldn't figure out how to do this.

@saimon. THANK YOU :D :clap: :grouphug:

Back