• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 How to search for + plus signs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimenitayo

Registered
it seems that I managed to find the perfect crack to fall through.

my naming convention for my pictures cannot be searched with win 7 search... and i don't want to have to manually rename my 15 thousand photos....

for my favorite pictures I put a mark in the filename: + ++ or +++.
xp had NO problem searching for plus signs, but win 7 considers it part of a search equation, like "".

many hours with tech support. I'm out of luck

any ideas?

Enclose the plus sign(s) within asterisks, for example *+*.*, *++*.*, *+++*.*, etc., and make sure to either add an asterisk as the extension, or include a known extension like *.jpg for example.

Actually, this is a tremendous flaw in W7 file content searching. In order for you to find text within files, those types of files MUST be defined accordingly.

:salute:
chawks2 w7 tricks + tips said:
To make modifications for file types in the index, press Win+R or click on Start \ Run… to open the Run window and type

control.exe srchadmin.dll

In the Advanced Options window, click on the File Types tab.

Here, you can add or remove known file types by checking or unchecking the box next to the file type. You can also select how the file should be indexed (circled in screen shot below) by Index Properties Only or Index Properties and File Contents.
:salute:

oh woww!!!!!
it wooooorked!!!!
thank you redduc900!!!!!
wowwwwwwwwwwww
saved me sooooo many hours of hardship!! thank you!
none of the techs could figure it out, even though they researched for days!!
it worked peeeeeeeeeeerfectly. i just type *+++*... and it's perfect

More rage by windows haters solved simply by using wildcards....

What a bizarre thing to say... From what I can see it's a very respectful question and thanks from a new member. Is this just a troll? :shrug:

:welcome: to the forums jimenitayo! Reducc900 is a MASTER of windows. I suspect he's actually a legion of Microsoft workers. One person can't have that much knowledge. ;)

Those MAC commercials dont help. ;)

I think they are pointless. Why would you want to simplify the computer? By simplifying you mean lose 50% of your functionality and customization? I'll keep my PC and fix any issues I have myself to make it personal. Mac's have never appealed to me, unless I got a laptop to enhance DJing.

I do feel like the indexing is broken in Win7 compared to vista though. I could search my music folder using a song name, artist, or using something I knew was in the filename. Now the indexed search returns absolutely 0 results on any search in that folder. I had to disable it so that I could search through my songs.

Enclose the plus sign(s) within asterisks, for example *+*.*, *++*.*, *+++*.*, etc., and make sure to either add an asterisk as the extension, or include a known extension like *.jpg for example.

Aha. Three * was key. I tried this but didn't use the before & after and extension *

oh woww!!!!!
it wooooorked!!!!
thank you redduc900!!!!!
wowwwwwwwwwwww

That's exactly what I said first time redduc900 helped me.
Still keep saying the same thing every time I spend a day trying to figure something out, then he comes in, *bam* - here you go. :shrug: :D:

thanks to all, it seems like such a simple thing, but it makes such a huge difference to me. I've even started enjoying myself because I can search for the exact photo I need.
perfect for preparing xmas CDs.

I haven't figure to what to do about the auto-arrange problem... I'm ignoring it for now, just enjoying the search feature, although I suspect that I'll scream my head off as soon as I really need to use it...

for example, if I'm choosing the top 20 pics in a certain category, i'll often move them around to figure out the right order, or to decide which ones to cut. that's one thing i can't do by working from the desktop, since I need to see the thumbnails!
oh well, one up, one down
thanks again

You can see what the pics look like on the desktop, just not large thumbnails. If you have an older version of Windows, you can install it and dual boot into it for these operations, just a thought.

What bothers me about Win7 search is no graph. user interface to click on to modify searches. You have to do it all manually and know the custom search terms.

I found a great search program, tiny and fast. I strongly recommend it for searches: http://www.voidtools.com/

called "search everything", it works very intuitively, i dont need to type asterisks and quotes all over the place. it just WORKS RIGHT

Back