• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did anybody NOT see this coming? (Xbox One)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Knew it was going to happen eventually just didn't know when. Pretty nice to see the price drop. But I feel bad for early adopters as I can't imagine much if any further development for the kinect.

I've always seen the kinect as more for children games. I wonder how many 2 player split screen games will come out for xbox one.

The only thing i find the Kinect useful for is turning on my xbox from across the room when i cant find the controller. Other than that it serves no purpose

who cares?
I mean really we all saw this coming, its not news or any thing shocking...

who cares?
I mean really we all saw this coming, its not news or any thing shocking...

You see Niku... This is absolutely redundant. You can sort of assume from the TITLE that everybody saw it coming. The reveal is that it actually happened. Nobody's calling it news... it's not an article on the overclockers.com main page... it's a thread on console gaming systems. So yeah... I don't see where I said that it was either news or shocking.

You see Niku... This is absolutely redundant. You can sort of assume from the TITLE that everybody saw it coming. The reveal is that it actually happened. Nobody's calling it news... it's not an article on the overclockers.com main page... it's a thread on console gaming systems. So yeah... I don't see where I said that it was either news or shocking.

:popcorn:

If I didn't have the kinect then I couldn't get angry yelling at my Xbox One because it isn't following my voice commands.

but you see how you made a thread about it though?
kinda seems as if you didn't see it coming, which I know you did see it coming...but this thread is here.

so what are we really supposed to talk about in regards to the price drop that every one saw coming?

I think it is less about it happening and more about how SOON it happened.

but you see how you made a thread about it though?
kinda seems as if you didn't see it coming, which I know you did see it coming...but this thread is here.

so what are we really supposed to talk about in regards to the price drop that every one saw coming?

It's not like the console gaming section is necessarily JUMPING with activity. If there was already a thread that said "I bet they will drop the Kinect and sell it for $399 by May" then I would've just made a post with the link and a line saying "Annnnnnd there it is..." There wasn't so I made a thread for it. Mainly so I could argue with you over what I should and shouldn't make threads about.

I think it is less about it happening and more about how SOON it happened.

To be honest... after the beating they took right out the gate... I expected it to happen sooner. Maybe right after Christmas. Would've saved them lots of trouble... even if they would've lost face. But the hell with face... I'd rather lose "face" than MONEY and MARKET SHARE.

I never wanted a PS4... still don't. But I would've gotten an Xbox One just for Killer Instinct... if... you know... it wasn't $500.

Now I think I'll skip this generation altogether. Maybe pick up an Xbox one when it gets down to 150 bucks on a black friday if I get one at all. I really wonder how many other people are skipping this console generation. I'd love to see the final number of ACTIVE users on both PSN and Xbox Live just before the new consoles came out... and compare that to the number of current PS4 and Xbox One owners.

The Kinect was a stupid thing to bet your division on at a time when a large portion of your market is moving to tablets... and gamers are starting to go OUTSIDE for the first time in 20 years.

Alright let's give this thread some substance.
When do you think Sony is going to drop the price of the ps4 in order to keep that price point edge over xbone?
That was their point starting out, you think they are going to strive to keep that advantage?

Oh and no thank you earth dog!

Alright let's give this thread some substance.
When do you think Sony is going to drop the price of the ps4 in order to keep that price point edge over xbone?
That was their point starting out, you think they are going to strive to keep that advantage?

Oh and no thank you earth dog!

I doubt it... That would be like a champion lobbying to face a challenger... it usually works the other way around. I think they would only do that if Xbone's sales suddenly skyrocketed... or moved slightly in a positive direction. There Sony has a lot of wiggle room (they could drop the console price by ten bucks or so, or throw in a controller, or a game or whathaveyou.)

No I think the REAL competition for Microsoft and Sony is going to come from "elsewhere". I have no idea where... but there have been a lot of rumblings about new technologies (certainly in the next 2-3 years). I think as mobile technology improves we will see the same shift away from consoles that we saw away from desktop computers and towards laptops and tablets. I think a number of BIG companies (Valve, Google, and Apple just to name a few...) are already working on this, and it's just a matter of time before one of them hits it out of the park.

I think that's going to happen much sooner than anyone realizes. For years and years it was "Nintendo vs Sega". Then there was Sony... and then there was Microsoft... seemingly overnight. So now Sega's pretty much gone and Nintendo might as well be. I think the timing is right for the same to happen (to a lesser degree of course) to Sony and Microsoft. The market is vulnerable.

Kinect stinks. Worst controller ever if you will. The whole "motion" fad is junk in the end.

Kinect stinks. Worst controller ever if you will. The whole "motion" fad is junk in the end.

As I said it was a stupid thing to build your entire campaign around. As an accessory for the 360... fine... whatever... but betting your entire rivalry and market share on a fad from LAST generation? That was stupid.

To be honest this is disappointing. As much as I dislike the nsa spy cam it did have some uses. And it had potential for future games. Now there is less incentive to actually think about making proper Kinect support. Without the Kinect it is a weaker ps4. What is the point? Halo? Lol.

Last edited:
To be honest this is disappointing. As much as I dislike the nsa spy cam it did have some uses. And it had potential for future games. Now there is less incentive to actually think about making proper Kinect support. Without the Kinect it is a weaker ps4. What is the point? Halo? Lol.

Let's face it: Nobody ever REALLY had any incentive to make anything for the Kinect beyond Microsoft's delusions. It's kinda like the Six-Axis: I forgot that still existed until I began this sentence. They used it (I think) in Uncharted 1 and a couple of other games... everyone said it was stupid... and they quietly forgot about it. That's basically what should've happened with the Kinect. Microsoft won a bunch of awards, did MUCH more for engineers and hobbyists than they ever did for gamers... they should've just patted themselves on the back and left it as a mostly-positive memory from the 360.

Having worked in IT for 3/4s of my life, however, I know EXACTLY what happened: Upper-Management. Some high-ranking exec went to bat for the Kinect and SWORE that they absolutely had to have it at all costs. (Lots of drinking goes on at those meetings... I've been to them.) A few people have already been fired over the Xbox One launch. Hopefully the Kinect champions are next.

It's gonna be a mean MEAN game of catch-up for Microsoft now. Cuz that NEXT meeting is gonna be all about "Okay... Besides the gimmicks: What have we got?"

As I've said previously in this thread though... I'm still waiting for the OTHER shoe to drop... and the floor to fall from under console gaming.

What uses did it have? Is Skyping from your couch really in demand?

What uses did it have? Is Skyping from your couch really in demand?

Well you can use it to Skype while playing a game so I don't need to go to my desktop or use my laptop or my phone. But ever since the Kinect 1.0 reveal I was thinking years into the future. Where we can have semi intelligent conversations with ai or maybe just the kinect reading your reactions. With the Kinect 2.0 last year they talked about how they could use it to monitor your heart rate. It could have been useful for horror games.

Like Rainless was saying it has some great achievements from an engineering standpoint, but nothing has really come from the kinect gameplay wise. I even have the media remote now because it is so impractical using the kinect to pause and play, forget about rewinding. Also using your hands never works when you want it to and it always appears on the screen when you don't want it.

Without the kinect being bundled it will slow down development for it and ensure that it is nothing but a gimmick.

Surprised it took a while but... Still I wouldn't own the system without a the function for Kinect. Its nice to have, and makes things easier. I would get the EYE for PS4 but it doesn't have that functionality. Sadly Kinect uses resources on the XBONE but oh well. Though curious if its not hooked up/used, does it release the resources and help the platform overall?

Hopefully it will help pick up the sales for them that is all I can say. It is good to have competition in the market and if MS drops out, it will just be Sony, which could be good/bad either way.

Surprised it took a while but... Still I wouldn't own the system without a the function for Kinect. Its nice to have, and makes things easier. I would get the EYE for PS4 but it doesn't have that functionality. Sadly Kinect uses resources on the XBONE but oh well. Though curious if its not hooked up/used, does it release the resources and help the platform overall?

Hopefully it will help pick up the sales for them that is all I can say. It is good to have competition in the market and if MS drops out, it will just be Sony, which could be good/bad either way.

If Microsoft dropped Sony wouldn't be far behind. The market thrives on competition. In the absence of competition, Sony's quality would go down. (Like Intel's did when they beat IBM and the other processors in the early days of Pentium). And people would gradually shift towards the emerging formats.

The only reason Sony is as good as they are now (hell... the only reason there WAS a $399 PS4...) was because they were competing so hard against Microsoft.

Back