• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920, CPU vcore and dram raised, what next to make 4GHz stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Z Overlord

Registered
my Vcore is 1.33 (rounded, too lazy to go into Bios atm), dram is 1.66

Before heading off to school I turned on Prime95, came back 7 hours later to see my screen black (but still on) and PC unresponsive, forcing me to press the power button to turn it off.

~Bios Settings~

CPU CMOS:

GNk91h.jpg.png

Memory settings:

cUQgJh.jpg.png

Voltages:

RJx6p.jpg.png

Post your exact RAM, Motherboard, and if your 920 is C0 or D0 stepping...

If you don't know where to find those, you can just get CPU-Z and post pics of your CPU, SPD, and Mainboard tabs.

After you post these, people can help you more efficiently. Welcome to Overclockers!

This may or may not be the problem, but one thing that jumps out at me is the QPI Link speed of 7.2GT/s. The stock QPI link speed for the i7 920 is 4.8GT/s. Lower your QPI Clock Ratio...?

:shrug:

Yup QPI speed should be dropped to lowest levels. 8 GHz is about the best you can expect few do more.

all do 7.2 though... so a little more voltage in that area should be fine.

Also raising NB core might help a bit, not a big deal at 4GHz, but more important later on. And really helps with 3D scores with nothing else changed but IOH core.

Well if you notice on my voltage picture (3rd one), I have QPI/VTT, and QPI PLL, which one do I raise?

And What is the NB called? IOH core?

While I try to figure out what voltages to raise, I'll set my "performance enhance" in the memory setting from "turbo" to "standard". Think that might help?

QPI/VTT voltage for QPI voltage increase. I'm not sure about that second question though.. If I wasn't busy I'd restart my computer and just give you my settings and see how you go lol.

Ratio 21
Turbo Power Limit Enabled
Blck 191
PCIE 100
DRAM 1531
Uclock 3063
QPI 6893

CPU LLC Enabled
CPU Differential Amp +700mv
NB OCP Enabled
DRAM OCP Enabled

Extreme OV Enabled
CPU Voltage Control Absolute (VID)
CPU Voltage 1.25v

CPU PLL 1.88v
QPI 1.3v
IOH 1.2v
IOH PCIE 1.5
ICH 1.2v
ICH PCIE 1.5
DRAM 1.65v
CPU spread Disabled
PCIE Spread enabled.
CPU/IOH Clock skew normal

Are all my settings. If that helps you at all..

If I raise my QPI/VTT even a little bit (1.175 to 1.2) I get an instant BSoD upon stress testing.

Raise it to 1.3

Well in the past when I'd try 1.33 or 1.35 I'd get the same BSoD results, sometimes Windows wouldn't even boot. For like a year now I've learned to never touch that setting.

I will try again when I get home I suppose, but it seems like if that setting will always be a problem, it has been for a long time now.

i would turn off turbo, leave the clock drive on default and maybe raise vcore to 1.35v

yap, i actually would turn of the xmp profile too as well as leave dram voltage on auto unless thats the reason why you experience instability.
get the cpu stable first, then tune the ram

i would raise vtt to 1.3v as well, for testing purposes only thou
once stable, move down until stability drops.
you really shouldn't need more then 1.20 to 1.25

Try this:

-Turn the QPI Link Ratio down so that you are closer to 4.8GT/s just for now.
-Change your QPI/VTT voltage back to auto.
-Change your System Memory Multiplier to 6x. This will be slower that your RAM's rated speed, but let's keep it there for now.
-Change your DRAM Voltage to 1.65v

Try this:

-Turn the QPI Link Ratio down so that you are closer to 4.8GT/s just for now.
-Change your QPI/VTT voltage back to auto.
-Change your System Memory Multiplier to 6x. This will be slower that your RAM's rated speed, but let's keep it there for now.
-Change your DRAM Voltage to 1.65v

The only QPI link ratio that's lower would be slowmode, there is no 18 for me.

Back