• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duallie help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dugans

I want to speed up my pc, cheap! This one is a dual P-II @ 400, with 512 mb ram on a SuperMicro mainboard. Jumpers don't work for clock speed (locked cpu's?) I have tried SoftFSB but can't get it to take: I don't know PLL chipset. Any advice? Suggestions? Or is this a lost cause?! MAchine runs well with Win2k, but more is ALWAYS better!

Welcome to the forums!

Dual boards can be difficult if not impossible to Overclock. Seek out Jon.....he's the dual expert.

This'll also be moved to "Intel Motherboards" Topic soon.

You have the Intel 440GX chipset on one of the P6DG series boards if that's what you need to know for SoftFSB.

Unfortunately, it probably won't help you any. These boards ran at a top FSB of 100, so you have no more room. Can't change the multiplier on Pentiums either.

Hate being the bearer of bad news...

Haha, seek no further. Anyways, WELCOME TO THE FORUM! !

This sucks...tell a guy on his first post he can't overclock. :[

DON'T LEAVE THOUGH!

This is the best forum on the net and we can help you with anything else you could possibly want. I had the exact same problem with a Compaq dual P3 350 when I first came here...been stuck ever since, haha.

Hey, no big deal; I tried just about everything I could think of to no avail. I feel better having failed now that you folks have told me it is an impossibility!
I'll just have to stick with system tweaks to speed things up. Thanks.

I wished somebody else in here was trying to get dually information...I am finding system part's list and discussion of dually system's scarce...Ain't no life no where....

Not too many of us run duals. I run them. I have run them for 3 years and I won't go back. But there is alot to consider when going dual.

Price. You have to buy two of everything.
Compatibility. Your choices of OS are limited. Some people don't want the hasle of an NT based system. Most don't know Linux.
Programs. Not many programs out there can handle SMP. Most games don't. Most apps dont.

So why spend the extra money on another CPU if 90% of the time you don't use it?

I love it. I love the extra speed in Windows. I love to be able to burn a CD and still surf the internet and not burn coasters. I use Photoshop and Corel Draw very often, I like to work with video and sound. So to me it pays off. And not to mention, when the guy down the street brags that he just got a brand new 1 Gigahertz CPU I can say "Whoopy, I got two!"

Well KingSlayer what do you think of a Pentium 3 system using the Iwill DVD266-R for a mid priced graphics workstation until the Athlon MP and Intel stuff stabilizes???

Theoretically it should be the fastest dual board out there, considering it runs DDR. But I haven't seen one benchmarked and reviewed by anyone I trust.

I have been watching this board for a while now. I have sworn that I won't run anything but Abit. But if this board benches as well as it should, and is stable, and is a good overclocking platform, then I will drop Abit because I am tired of their lack of support on anything.

And what do you mean "until" AMD gets it together. I don't think they will. I have seen benchmarks from Dual AMD's and I'm not the least but impressed. The CPU benches were lower at 1080 than mine at 1002.

I just started playing with Dual CPU. I have a Compaq Server with Duals and a Dual PII450 machine. I'm not going back either. I'm thinking Dual Xeons for my next one.

Dual PPro 200
Dual PII 450
Athlon 1.2
P4 1.5
PIII 1.0

I've been looking around at some benchmarks of that Iwill. I'm not being impressed like I thought I would. The memory benches just don't jive with DDR. It's not that much better than SDRAM. I'm seeing a 5 to 15% increase in memory benchmarks and thats it. One site even had memory scores lower than my PC-133@167Mhz.

I would wait until they get that IWill optomized.

You are right. The DDR is not that impressive with the PIII. The problem is that the memory bus of the PIII is locked at around 1.0 Gbytes of data transfer. This is aprox. the data transfered from a SDRAM module. That way you won't get to use the 2.1 GB of data than a PC266 can give you.

I have found several review of the Iwill DVD-266 mobo. And almost all of them, give you this information. Only 5-8% of incresed performance over an SDRAM mobo.

Back