• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a fresh windows installation help ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celemine1Gig

Hi,

I just upgraded my sytem from an Abit BF6 to an Abit BX-133-RAid and now I got alot of hardware problems. Most of them were IRQ problems that I could solve by experimenting, but I also got a problem with my printer port that can't be recognized correctly by windows. Now I wanted to know if you think that a fresh install of Win98 SE could help?? I also flashed to newest bios, but that didn't help, so I think it's a WIN98SE problem. It says that there's no driver installed or that the device is not working correctly, but if I install the driver, nothing changes!

Please help!

are both mobo`s the same chipsets,ie intel,via etc,i went from via to intel chipset on my new mobo &my comp. tech said to do a clean install,so there will be no conflicts between the old &new chipsets.hope this helps &good luck!!

YEP Batboys rite its definatly time for a reformat and fresh install, whenever in dought its best to do this, you may get lucky and figure it out but in the long run you will be happier if you do it.

goodluck

Not always needed, I switched from a ss7 with
via mvp3 chipset to a bh6 mobo by............
starting in safe mode, then going into device manager and selecting view devices by connection and then............are you ready?
deleting plug and play bios! then, no don't reboot! go to your windows\inf\other directory and delete any thing in there! then move basic stuff like video card floppy and hd and cdrom to new mobo! and start windows and let it re-detect everything. make sure you have your drivers handy.
the first thing you will want to install is your driver for the hipoint controller.
then once windows is up and running install each card and it's driver one at a time!
this may save you a bunch of time reinstalling all your programs and updates.

Well, a new windows install can remove some of the not so clear error you can get from time to time.....also it won't hurt you.

I have heard that even if you don't do hardware tweaks to your CPU, its advisable thta you do a low level format (new partition, new format) to your HD every 2 years, to remove all the unused .dll from uninstalled software.

Celemine1Gig,

I'm not sure what kind of printer connection you are using, USB or parallel port, but you might want to check the bios of the Abit BX-133-Raid board you just installed. I know that many times the parallel port will be either not enabled or enabled as a standard or bi-directional port rather than the ECP+EPP port that some newer printers may need to work correctly. Then in Win98 make sure that under the system properties>ports (com & lpt) that you have an ECP printer port. If you're using USB make sure that's properly enabled in BIOS as well. If the port isn't properly configured in bios what's behind it won't be able to be either no matter how many times you reinstall Win98.

Hope this helps!

Just my opinion,

ANY major upgrade deserves a fresh install. Especially a new mobo. If I upgrade the memory I don't reinstall, but if I change something as major as the hard drive or a processor, it's a must. Vid and sound cards aren't major either. Just major, as I said, like mobo's, processors, or RAID/IDE controllers.

Mictlan (Jul 16, 2001 10:17 a.m.):
Well, a new windows install can remove some of the not so clear error you can get from time to time.....also it won't hurt you.

I have heard that even if you don't do hardware tweaks to your CPU, its advisable thta you do a low level format (new partition, new format) to your HD every 2 years, to remove all the unused .dll from uninstalled software.

2 YEARS WITHOUT WRECKING MY PC?!?!?!?! I can't make it 6 months!!!!!!! (Except for servers I never touch!)

Back