• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stop me from purchasing a SSD.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

I have the bug BAD. Too bad no one in town carries a decent quality SSD drive or I would already have one. Knowing that I have to go online and purchase and wait for it has saved me thus far.

I am wanting one for my wimpy Compaq laptop.

It has 3GBram, AMD single core processor, and Windows7.

I know the difference would be night/day but I just dont utilize it enough to make it really worth it.

I only check email/websites anyhow. However, copying stuff over the network to it is SLOW and this is mainly why I want to purchase it.

Ehh, I would have to imagine that even with a 5400RPM laptop drive, your network is the part that is slowing it down the most.

What Im saying is, it doesnt matter if you have a Corvette, if you can only drive it in a school zone (limit).

Good enough? :)

LOL, no. it doesnt work that way.....I dont think (help?).

My NAS box with 7200RPM 16MB cache drive transer at ~4-5MB/s.

I guess my token ring network isnt helping...

Thanks for helping me control the buying frenzy inside.

Wait, what? Que? How can I help you help me, help him?

If that was a question to me (wow am I dense today) then yes. Thats what I am on.

Token ring??!! Wow who still uses token ring? I threw away a bunch of token ring stuff not too long ago. I don't think you'll see a significant increase in file xfer speeds. Are you talking about copying files from or to the laptop? Your read speeds will be better, but the write speeds won't be anything spectacular.

100mbit ethernet caps out at 12.5megabytes per second. I'm not sure if that is send+receive or whether both directions can do 100mbit at the same time.
In any case, even laptop hard drives can read/write faster then 12.5mb/second, a SSD won't help.
Now gigabit ethernet on the other hand... (125 megabytes per second)

I'm not sure if that is send+receive or whether both directions can do 100mbit at the same time.

100TX is full-duplex so it can handle full speed in both directions depending on if the NIC and switch are both capable of it (he did say token ring, right?).

bottom line you do not need a SSD. They're awesome don't get me wrong, but the cost is huge and you'd be better off with a newer computer. I have a single 40gb SSD which can handle my OS and firefox and maybe 500mb of other apps. If you're putting one in a laptop and want say 120ish gb, you're looking at spending around 350 dollars and the only benefit you'll see is windows loads faster and your apps open quicker. Network speeds will be the same.

LOL, no. it doesnt work that way.....I dont think (help?).

My NAS box with 7200RPM 16MB cache drive transer at ~4-5MB/s.

I can transfer at 8mb/s on a home computer doesnt seem right. over the local network atleast

There is a ton of things that can cause overhead, if hes using a linksys/netgear/WHATEVER router with integrated switch that could be causing an issue as they are typically low grade components. On my 100mbit segaments of network I get between 10 and 11MB/s and on gigabit 110-115MB/s.

I've never seen a hard drive that could not flood 100mbit.

I can transfer at 8mb/s on a home computer doesnt seem right. over the local network atleast

I think you mean MB. A quality 10/100 nic and switch will yield better speeds. Or you could always go gigabit :)

bottom line you do not need a SSD. They're awesome don't get me wrong, but the cost is huge and you'd be better off with a newer computer. I have a single 40gb SSD which can handle my OS and firefox and maybe 500mb of other apps. If you're putting one in a laptop and want say 120ish gb, you're looking at spending around 350 dollars and the only benefit you'll see is windows loads faster and your apps open quicker. Network speeds will be the same.

+1 big time ......

But come on TechJunky you know your a Tech Junkie you are going to get one sooner or later rather you need it or not :D

i threw a patriot 32gb ssd in my laptop last week
celeron 900 3gb ddr2 toshiba laptop
i definately could tell a very speedy de-crease in boot times
if your hdd is still IDE
head on over to tigerdirect.ca they IDE ssd hard drives

TechJunky, to get back to your original, I have recently bought SSD's for two of my rigs, and though I can't complain performance-wise, it's not worth the cost as far as speeding up anything. I'm not into benching, but on a catch-as-catch-can basis, they have shown me that an SSD isnt really worth the cost yet. I imagine that there will be argument about the issue, but until SSD costs come down, for the general population they are going to remain more of an exotic.

Back