• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Pentium 4 upgrade to i7 possibly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cardonaj70

So i'm new to the forums. I was wondering if i could upgrade from my pentium 4 520 to possibly an i7 if possible. My motherboard is a Intel Desktop Board D915GUX. I plan to keep the motherboard. I also am wondering what kind of graphics cards are compatible as this is an older motherboard. Thanks for any responses.

Last edited:
Not possible, sorry. You'll need a motherboard at the very least.

No, you can not. That board is a socket 775 and all of the i7's are of different sockets like LGA 1155.

The motherboard supports any of these processors.

Honestly, I would just go for a new generation motherboard/processor/RAM and be done with it.

+1, that motherboard is pretty outdated by now
there are some cheap new gen boards out there, the cpu+board+ram wont cost you that much if you choose say an i3 or i5, possibly barely more than a i7 cpu alone
and it will be worth it since the board counts too, the ability of the board to move data is just as important as the ability of the cpu to process it sometimes, ram has the same bonus for you

D.

Im pretty sure you will just need an all new setup, motherboard, memory and CPU yes, however on an old P4 setup im sure your hard drives and optical drives etc were all IDE interface (the plug ins) and your new motherboard will have no ports or plugs for those old devices. Also gonna need a new power supply. So everything from the ground up starting with the case Im sure.

Hard drives were sata and psu had both molex and sata. The optical drive is an IDE. My other question is, is it worth it getting a graphics card for it?

I would say no, I doubt that power supply is strong enough and Im 99% positive you CPU would hold back the graphics card. Even if you could I doubt you would get any results you would be happy with.

you can always get a gfx, because that can carry over to a new pc later on, but you need to get something the psu will handle

note: many entry lvl cards dont need dedicated power so any 300w psu will be fine. it mostly depends what you want and what you need it to do

you can always get a gfx, because that can carry over to a new pc later on, but you need to get something the psu will handle

note: many entry lvl cards dont need dedicated power so any 300w psu will be fine. it mostly depends what you want and what you need it to do

True, however I would dare say it's not going to do much performance wise and I doubt the OP would be satisfied with it. Why waste money on it is my thought is all. Good luck :)

I have a 400 watt psu. and i also have a spare 305 watt psu that could power just the graphics card.

True, however I would dare say it's not going to do much performance wise and I doubt the OP would be satisfied with it. Why waste money on it is my thought is all. Good luck :)

well heres my reasoning, i had a 7750 at a point, the card doesnt need psu and yet it did very well for me, many games ran perfectly on a 19" screen
why i said it highly depends what the OP needs
for ex right now with a p4 and onboard 915 gfx there are nearly no games that will work right, while with the same p4 and a 7750 (or some newer same lvl card) quite a few games will run, but true the p4 will remain the bottleneck and good fps will not be obtainable at good detail
in the big picture i too support the idea of a full upgrade, but depends what is the OPs cash pool, if its limited, a gfx can save the old box for some gaming

Cash pool very limited

q1, in that case why were u thinking i7 ? that cpu alone is $200+

q2, what is your main interest ? gaming ? or ?

a new cpu means a new PC in your case, if you just need to be able to do some gaming, get an entry level gpu

i5 more reasonable, i7 when u got plenty of cash
decent motherboard + 8gb ddr3, 1600mhz fine, good psu and a mid grade vcard r9 270 - nvidia 760
all in all youd be looking at $800 or so for the whole thing, minus monitor,key, mouse

Four gigs of ram will work well, too. Because of the cryptocurrency mining craze, AMD based cards will be exepensive.

Back