• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a Digital Camera...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I am planning on getting a digital camera near the end of the month and I have been doing a little bit of research.

I am looking to spend around UK£150, but my maximum is about £200.

Heres what looks the best just now:
Fuji Finepix A201

Does anyone have this camera? Any good sites with reviews of this camera?

Thanks, I really value the opinions of people here.

David

well 200 pounds is about 400 american dollars or so...if that is the case go with my Kodak DC4800 for 400 last time I checked although I got the floor model for 150 :D

it is great quality...3.1 megapixels and and has NO motion blur of anything moving....(go to alt modding and check out ULTIMATE HEAT MOD...that fan is ON in the pic)

I would highly recommend it!!!

Spec

I have heard that the Kodak ones are good. The Kodak DX3500 looks just perfect but I can't find it for <=£200 anywhere.

I have a Vivitar 1.3 Megapixel camera, and i must say it SUCKS.

Plainly, get atleast a 1.8 Or you will be VERY Unsatifisied.

HaywirE said:
I have a Vivitar 1.3 Megapixel camera, and i must say it SUCKS.

Plainly, get atleast a 1.8 Or you will be VERY Unsatifisied.

Whats wrong with it? Are the images too small or is the quality just bad?

David

David said:
Heres what looks the best just now:
Fuji Finepix A201

My buddy has this camera, and as luck would have it, I'm borrowing it right now! :)

It's a very fine camera, actually. My only qualm w/ it is that it chews through batteries, and doesn't have LCD Backlighting. Other than that, it's great!

Wow, I keep getting opportunities to preach this camera!

Fuji Finepix 2800 Zoom.

200 Pounds is $340 US, which is about $40 more than you can find the 2800 for.

It's 2 megapixels, comes with a 16MB card (you'll certainly want to get a larger one), has 6X OPTICAL zoom, can act as a webcam, and takes 60 second segments of video, with sound.

I got mine for $277US, but with tax and shipping, it came to $304.

It's a SUPERB camera. I did alot of research, about 3 weeks worth actually, and I found that this camera is the absolute best value for under $400 US, and it's well under that.

If you want samples at full size (1600 x 1200) and full quality, PM me.

Über~PhLuBB said:
Wow, I keep getting opportunities to preach this camera!

Fuji Finepix 2800 Zoom.

200 Pounds is $340 US, which is about $40 more than you can find the 2800 for.

It's 2 megapixels, comes with a 16MB card (you'll certainly want to get a larger one), has 6X OPTICAL zoom, can act as a webcam, and takes 60 second segments of video, with sound.

I got mine for $277US, but with tax and shipping, it came to $304.

It's a SUPERB camera. I did alot of research, about 3 weeks worth actually, and I found that this camera is the absolute best value for under $400 US, and it's well under that.

If you want samples at full size (1600 x 1200) and full quality, PM me.

Cool! I will see if I can find the 2800 Zoom somewhere. $304 should be about £200.

David

Über~PhLuBB,

How is the video and sound? Have you ever tried using it as a webcam? Is the framerate good and stuff?

Maybe do a small review about it?

.:EDIT:.
Where did you get it?

Last edited:
Shocker said:
Über~PhLuBB,

How is the video and sound? Have you ever tried using it as a webcam? Is the framerate good and stuff?

Maybe do a small review about it?

.:EDIT:.
Where did you get it?

The video quality is OK, as is the sound, and the framerate is pretty good in video. I havn't yet tried it as a web cam, but if it can record video like it does, then a webcam frame rate would be no problem.

I got it at BuyDig. Don't bother with the "Executive kit," you can get your own accessories elsewhere for very very cheap (Got my 128MB SmartMedia card from Newegg for $44).

If you want a video sample, lemmie know, I can show anyone that too.

Last edited:
Shocker said:
From what people say it seems like its hard to see the EVF in low light situations. How bad is it?

I find it's quite the opposite. You can adjust the EFV brightness for both the LCD and the EFV, in eight steps. I have the LCD set to 2 and the EFV set to 4. So there's plenty of potential for increasing visibility, and in low-light, it's very easy to see, it's only in high-light (bright sunlight) that it's hard to see the LCD, but the EFV is always protected inside the camera, so you never need to adjust it, as no outsitde light can get in while you're looking at it.

Back