• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 930? New?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It JUST came out....
Like this week I think. Been seeing people on different forums getting excited about it today as well... I doubt there is much difference (OC wise) between this and 920. Other than 22 multi...

The Microcenter in Rockville, MD has 13 in stock. I'm going to order one right now for pickup at the store. I'll pick it up after work today. I can sell my i7-920 to my roommate who wants to build a new system for cheap.

for the money, its worth it IMO....you guys think thats going to be the new 920? best value among the new 1366 i7's?

Microcenter still has plenty of 920's in stock for $199. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a stable 4.2Ghz OC out of the 930, but knowing my luck; I'll get less of a stable OC than I get on my 920.

the 930 will replace the 920 in a quarter probably.. phase out the old for the new.. ITS GOT HIGHER GHz.. ppl will buy!!!

the 960 is accompanying the 930 it seemns like...for 500$ its more like a premium extreme i7...moreso worth it to go for the 960 than the 930 if youre upgrading from a 920...agree?

the 960 is accompanying the 930 it seemns like...for 500$ its more like a premium extreme i7...moreso worth it to go for the 960 than the 930 if youre upgrading from a 920...agree?

It's not really worth upgrading to anything from a 920. All the 1366 i7's are binned nearly identically; almost nothing is worth the hundreds and hundreds of dollars price difference.

It's not really worth upgrading to anything from a 920. All the 1366 i7's are binned nearly identically; almost nothing is worth the hundreds and hundreds of dollars price difference.

well, even the 50$ price difference for the 930? or if i was going to spend the money should i wait for the 6 core i7 (980 or something)

well, even the 50$ price difference for the 930? or if i was going to spend the money should i wait for the 6 core i7 (980 or something)

Based on how close all the 1366 i7 chips are already, I doubt the 930 will overclock any better than the 920 (also considering those chips don't seem to do as well on even CPU multi's). It's possible it might be a little better now that the line is a little more mature, but I don't think it'd be very worthwhile. If you already have a decent 920, I don't see any reason to make such a sideways "upgrade."

The i7 920 is the best CPU available at the moment. It's held that title for quit sometime. It's a great CPU!! I'm anxious to see how the new i7 930 does!

I was thinking of upgrading once again to x58/1366 rig. I like my rig now but I wanted to be able to at least try out the x58 series. :)

Nah, the 960 is probably just an overclocked version of the lower models.

Uhhh... they all are. Same die, just binned differently. The 960's been out for a while now. With the overclocking performance of the D0 stepping die, Intel can easily add a single multiplier, to it's bottom of the line chip to sell it as a 930 for a bit more. They're making more on the same exact chip... why not. I would venture to say that the 960's and the 930's meet the same manufacturing requirements, they just decide what chip they need more of.

The CPU is already out on newegg so new PC builders should go for the 930 instead of the 920 since the 920s are being phased out.

I read a review somewhere that said 930 has more overclocking potential. It doesn't matter anyway because all of the i7s are awesome at OCing :D

Back