• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did EVGA steal Rivatuner's RTSS design into the new PrecisionX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
EVGA today is launching a new build of PrecisionX, this will be build 15. EVGA has made a move to developing the tweaking utility in-house, meaning they will cut ties with the previous developing programmer. By itself interesting news, but unfortunately this has to be the most awkward story I have ever written in the history of Guru3D.com Did EVGA copy the entire Rivatuner design and features concept from the original programmer ? Read more after the break (update #5 )

As most of you guys know, Unwinder up-to this point developed EVGA's PrecisionX of the overclocking software. Basically EVGA licensed the use of the Rivatuner Core overclocking / tweaking elements. EVGA has been working for over half a year on their in-house developed version of PrecisionX. Developing a tweaking tool in-house was an unusual yet understandable choice from EVGA's business point of view. Especially as these days creating tweaking software for GeForce Graphics cards with the latest revisions of NVIDIA's API this is fairly a do-able task. The new PrecisionX will be restricted to GeForce Graphics cards only and will bring all the features of the older build as well as minor tweaks to the UI and 64-bit overlay support.

Over the past months or so here at Guru3D.com have been watching this development closely, as with this build EVGA departs from the old overclock infrastructure based on the Rivatuner core engine from Alexey aka Unwinder. So make no mistake this is correct, PrecisionX software is no longer created or licensed though from Unwinder. Some will love that, some will hate that.

However after seeing the latest screenshots, my eye-browses started to raise.

So was this modern age stealing ? Well, you can't copyright a GUI / user-interface so sure, EVGA is allowed to do this as long as they didn't 'borrow' code from the RTSS engine (I am trying to choose my words carefully here). But dear dudes and dudettes from EVGA, if you launch a totally new in-house designed overclock utility and you want something new. Why then copy-paste the Rivatuner and RTSS design this much ? From this day forwards everybody knows and sees what happened here and as such that will bring a negative element towards your in-house software. Let me just state that Guru3D.com or myself not ever has had part in EVGA PrecisionX development, we love EVGA and this was a business agreement in-between Unwinder/ Alexey and EVGA directly.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ev...rtss-design-concept-into-precisionx-15,9.html

Interesting. First comparison I was thinking "OK, similar, but how many ways can you put a lot of graphs into one page?" But going on, even the descriptions on a lot of the options are the exact same. If it was truly custom, it wouldn't match that well :shrug:

All is similar as all are using the same rivatuner core made couple of years ago. All popular programs like Afterburner base on that. EVGA just didn't want to add couple of things in earlier stage and now they are suddenly adding it saying all it's their work.
It's not right especially that their "new" software even looks like AB or other soft based on rivatuner core. They didn't even change license rules on the installation page as we can read in the article.
It's just pathetic and I bet that if rivatuner programmer was US citizen then could simply sue EVGA for many things regarding intellectual property or whatever it's called in the US.
Even if they make changes and release new version of Precision then base of this software is still not their work and they shouldn't sign under that telling all that they made new, revolutionary software for overclocking.

Tbh, EVGA is not convincing me with any of their products lately. Almost all their graphics cards are reference, almost all their motherboards have various issues and all is way too overpriced. Now they make a lot of noise about this software and it for sure won't help them. The only thing that left is their good support.

Last edited:
I was just going to post about this.

On another note, I had issues playing BF4 and long story short I had both old and newer EVGA Precisions installed by accident thinking the newer version would uninstall the older version. Seeing what has happened makes a lot of sense now seeing the new version couldn't see the older version being coded differently.

In my instance I could play BF3 but couldn't play BF4 for some reason. I decided to uninstall both versions only to find I can't download the new Precision X anymore. It has been taken down everywhere. Well I installed the previous version of Precision X and BF4 now works perfectly.

Unfortunately because of this mishap, I missed out on one of 4 events (Shadowplay) from their promotional giveaways. :(

Back