• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks Tokae

but I'm only looking to run 3 monitors for gaming and one for other things. Would you still suggest the same card?

I would indeed.. The issue is the jump between 3 and 4 screens.. I am not sure they offer a card that just does 4? I could be wrong though as its been a while since I looked into multi screen setups.

Knufire and company!

Hey guys, I had posted a build thread sometime ago and finally got my build almost completed. Will have it so with this christmas's purchases/gifts.

Here's the build so far:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nfni

I have everything but the graphics card.

The only problem is I don't think I can afford the GTX770 board, I also think it's a bit overkill for what I want.

Playing mostly MMOs, though I will be playing the Division and Watchdog, which are more FPS style MMOs. I don't NEED top settings, but it'd be nice to run them at that when I'm not doing other things. I pvp alot with FRAPS. I run two monitors now, but it would be nice to have the option for 3.

I need it to last about 2 years, something I can SLI or crossfire later on for a viable "upgrade" would be nice. price range is around 200 dollars.

Knufire and company!

Hey guys, I had posted a build thread sometime ago and finally got my build almost completed. Will have it so with this christmas's purchases/gifts.

Here's the build so far:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nfni

I have everything but the graphics card.

The only problem is I don't think I can afford the GTX770 board, I also think it's a bit overkill for what I want.

Playing mostly MMOs, though I will be playing the Division and Watchdog, which are more FPS style MMOs. I don't NEED top settings, but it'd be nice to run them at that when I'm not doing other things. I pvp alot with FRAPS. I run two monitors now, but it would be nice to have the option for 3.

I need it to last about 2 years, something I can SLI or crossfire later on for a viable "upgrade" would be nice. price range is around 200 dollars.

I would get cheaper ram. Probably 1600 speed. Then maybe you can get a 770. I always say you should stretch your budget for a video card over most other stuff

Yeah, still don't have a card.

I understand your logic.

The RAM and the Motherboard were both overkill. But I already bought them, at this point, I don't think I could sell them.

I've bought eveything in the build and installed it so far.

Still looking for a 670 GPU.

If you or anyone has some good pricing ideas, let me know.

Is there a website that will monitor prices for you if you put in the specifics of what you're looking for?

So, I'm sitting here at 3AM, dreaming of some day situations...

I have kind of narrowed down my next monitor to either a 120-144Hz 1920x1080 monitor, 2560x1080 Ultrawide, or 2560x1440. I might end up with a standard 60Hz 1080p to save money, but I'm dreaming, not planning. :p

I'm kind of thinking my baseline for this should be a 290. Not sure if the 280X can handle it, but it might. But here's the thing... Right now, my 560ti is absolutely serving its purpose at 1080p like 85% of the time. If I go Ultra settings and max AA some games (Skyrim with Mods, Bioshock Infinite, etc) it can lag a little bit. But at this point, even games like Metro Last Light maxed out at 1080p run fine right now. So I'm kind of thinking saving some major money and getting a 280 might be good enough for my purposes.

How would Crossfire 280s compare to a single 290 for these resolutions / refresh rates? If I'm really trying to hit a steady 144Hz, it'll probably be TF2, as I'm getting back into comp play. And right now at 1080p I cap my FPS at 132 no problem. So I'm guessing a 280 would be perfectly fine for that purpose. I just don't want to spend $400 on E-Peen if $200 will accomplish my tasks.

I am starting to consider a new card as well. I am wondering whether its worth waiting for the nVidia Maxwell's to come out before buying?

I have read that it is supposed to be Q3/Q4 2014 for Maxwell. Does anyone have any opinions on that?

I am hearing quarter 1 of 2015, but who knows for sure ?

Bottom line is do you need a new card, one could always wait for the next best thing, question is do you have the performance that you need right now, and if so why would you contemplate a new card at this time ?

Right now I have a 460GTX video card that only really drives 1 monitor. I am looking into pushing 3-6 monitors in the not so distant future. For that I believe I would need a bump in power.

My current card only supports 2 monitors (because it has 1 x hdmi, 1 x dvi, 1 x vga) but I seem to recall that it only works 2 monitors at a given time. Thus my choice is to buy a second older card or consider a newer card which may support 3 or 4 monitors. (I am not interesting in AMD/ATI cards at this time)

I might be asking in the wrong thread but here is my Q: I want to get back into gaming a bit...not crazy but I do like FPS such as Call Of Duty etc.. My old card is an 8800GTX. I assume that this beast is not going to cut it. What is a decent card for $150? I have a Gigabyte Sock 3 board and Quad Core Phen II @3.6, 8 g DDR3 600w ps, SSD. If U can give me a few choices I'll shop around. Otherwise it will taken me days to figure out what the current card even are! Thanks.

What Res are you playing at ?

Assuming 1920x1080

With that budget you will have to make some concessions on the eye candy.

If it were me I would look into a used GTX670, or a 7870 GHz edition, I have seen them around in your budget.

New in that price range is disappointing

(Shameless plug)

FYI: I may be interested in the GTX8800 if you are considering selling it

R9 280...I will research it. I would give u the GTX but I told a poor gamer buddy that he could have it. Damn thing probably cost more to ship than it's worth...very heavy!

I'm looking for advice on a new video card. I have a gaming youtube channel, which means I do a lot of video editing as well as gaming. Currently I'm playing a lot of space engineers which drops down to 5 fps at times, hence the need for a new card. My current specs are: Intel i7 2600K , 16GB ram, HIS IceQ Radeon HD 6970 (2GB), gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 MoBo.

I wish to upgrade my gpu in september and then upgrade my mobo, processor, and memory sometime later this year, or early next year with the X99 chipset and ddr4 ram. Thus I wish to having something that will work OK for now, and continue to work well for the next 2-3 years without requiring an upgrade. My budget is in the $300-400 range.

I'm looking for advice on a new video card. I have a gaming youtube channel, which means I do a lot of video editing as well as gaming. Currently I'm playing a lot of space engineers which drops down to 5 fps at times, hence the need for a new card. My current specs are: Intel i7 2600K , 16GB ram, HIS IceQ Radeon HD 6970 (2GB), gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 MoBo.

I wish to upgrade my gpu in september and then upgrade my mobo, processor, and memory sometime later this year, or early next year with the X99 chipset and ddr4 ram. Thus I wish to having something that will work OK for now, and continue to work well for the next 2-3 years without requiring an upgrade. My budget is in the $300-400 range.

I vote for 280x

Not really. But probably ASUS or Sapphire.

If I had to choose It'd be Sapphire based purely on the way my 270x is. Smooth and powerful. :)

I saw that in your signature, and it in fact lead to my asking. On newegg there is a sapphire tri-x and dual-x, the tri-x seems to be better yet it is cheaper and I cannot figure out what the catch is.
Tri-X:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202123
Dual-X:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202088

I saw that in your signature, and it in fact lead to my asking. On newegg there is a sapphire tri-x and dual-x, the tri-x seems to be better yet it is cheaper and I cannot figure out what the catch is.
Tri-X:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202123
Dual-X:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202088

Yeah, that's something you don't see every day eh?

No reviews on the Tri-x, and the guy saying the Dual-x blows hot air into the case is :screwy:
My 270x never gets hotter than 82*C even when mining full tilit.

I'd grab the tri-x. With 3 fans you can probably run them lower speeds to reduce noise and still cool it down.

Back