• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much Plug and Plug can I get a GPU to be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasm

I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to remove my video card from time to time without messing up system stablity.

If I install the drivers for both intel integrated graphic and my video card drivers, will the system use the right drivers when i have my video card installed/removed?

Also, for video cards that need additional power, do they get the majority of their power from the MB or the power line? I am thinking of powering my mb with one power supply and my video card with another?

I am trying to make it so my video card is modular and removable from the system with its own power source.

Last edited:
a graphics card won't work if you don't have the power chords attached to it (unless it's a low end one that doesn't require PSU power)

get a single modular power supply (the type you can remove the un-used wires from). One that's powerful enough to power your graphics card.

When you remove the graphics card, remove the chords that power it as well.

Removing the Graphics card won't effect the system (as long as you do it while it's off). It will use the onboard graphics if no graphics card is present.

If your purpose is to be able to use the same graphics card in two different computers, the best way to do it would be to make sure both computers have a power supply capable of powering the graphics card, rather and switching out power supplies.

It's not a good idea to keep removing and reinstalling the same card all the time. You risk damaging the card as well as the PCIE slot.

Thanks guys.

The purpose for asking was I am thinking of making a portable desktop with built in mobile power. The GPU makes the mobile power part of it much harder. I was thinking I could make a stand-alone box for the GPU in the form of a docking like station for when I am home.

Not sure if this will be worth the effort. If I more forward, I will look into making an PCI-e slot to ZIF connector.

Back