• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6400 Apparently an Allendale, can I go faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jas

My e6400 is the L2 revision (allendale?).

And im running rock solid at 3gz (passed P95 at a 28 hour test), but anything past a FSB of 380 and the machine won't post.

Current settings are

FSB: 375
Multiplier: X8
CPU Volt : +.15
NB volt: 1.35
Memmory: 800mhz at 4-4-4-12 (still working on memory timings)
Temps: Idle = 19-20c, Average at 100% load 36.5C, Peak under P95 torture 41c

I've tried retarding the ram back to 667 and very loose timings of 6-6-6-18, voltage of +.175 and NB up to 1.5 but to no avail, I can't post past a 380 FSB.

From what I've read the Allendales top out around 3-3.3 ghz. Is there anything I can do to push this CPU faster?

The machine as a whole is blazingly fast at 3Ghz, and should get a bit faster as I nail down the memory timings, but if at all possible I would love to push this CPU faster.

Any suggestions?

one more thing to add, I have yet to try a Higher FSB on a lower multiplier.

will do that now :)

EDIT: Got the machine to post at 3.62 GHZ with a x7 multiplier, but BSOD on windows startup, dialed down till cpu was at just over 3.2 and was able to get windows to boot (looses ram timings). No idea if it's stable at those settings though, will have to test.

Just VERY disapointed that this chip won't hit some of the 3.5+ speeds other 6400s are hitting.

Last edited:
allendales dont clock the same as conroes... even conroes arent clocking like they use to. all the cherry picked dies are going into quad cores atm.

You might have memory or mobo issues holding you back. My E6400 Allendale is rock solid @ 3.2ghz idling at 1.32v and at 1.30v full vdroop under load. I haven't tried clocking faster but I'm sure the chip could go further with more vcore. It's possible you just got unlucky and got a very poor-overclocking chip.

lmao it cracks me up that people talk about 3ghz being a "very poor oc chip". 1.8-3ghz... that's almost a 70% oc... I mean I understand it's relative but seriously... :p

and oooh baby. can't wait till august. :D:D:D:D yay for quadcores.

crumpet said:
lmao it cracks me up that people talk about 3ghz being a "very poor oc chip". 1.8-3ghz... that's almost a 70% oc... I mean I understand it's relative but seriously... :p

and oooh baby. can't wait till august. :D:D:D:D yay for quadcores.

E6400 is 2.16Ghz :)=

my highest stable OC is 417FSBx8.. and 457x7 and thats on stock cooler.. hitting the 80degree mark..

yes they are, but the third quarter price drop puts the Q6600 @ $266. Which is the only way I'll ever be able to afford one. :) (damn college. =| )

quad core or not, i wouldn't think people would be able to hit the OCs that they can with the E64/6600s.... may be slower in most instances.

Allendales need more Vcore for the same older results and they top out faster..
If you cooling can take it, crank the Vcore up.

Am I the only person who got a E6400 Allendale who isn't complaining about it? The chip has a crappy reputation here but mine is fine. 3.2ghz @ 1.30vcore is right in line with what a typical Conroe E6400 does, so I don't see anything to complain about.

Your not the only one having problems. Picked up my E6400 Allendale a couple weeks ago and have been trying to get it stable ever since.

Right now my only success is stable running orthos for 10+ hours with @ 2.66 ghz. My mobo is a p5n-e sli ... i'm letting the board look after the voltages and cpu-z is reporting the voltage to the cpu at 1.39v-1.4v under load. I can't seem to cross over that speed however and stay stable.

Try lower multi and higher FSB as already suggested. Depending on the motherboard and chipset there could be a 'FSB wall' when approaching 400 FSB.

Pomegranate said:
Am I the only person who got a E6400 Allendale who isn't complaining about it? The chip has a crappy reputation here but mine is fine. 3.2ghz @ 1.30vcore is right in line with what a typical Conroe E6400 does, so I don't see anything to complain about.

I have 7x400 2.8 orthos stable, no complaints here, I have no doubts of being able to go 3.2

Back