• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott 3.4 on P4P800-E DELUXE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a9249

Registered
ive been running my 478 prescott 3.4 at 3.72 for the last 8 months or so. i would go faster but stability is an issue and i cannot seam to push it past 4ghz without a boot crash (basically gets to windows load screen and bluescreens out) which i am guessing is a heat problem.
i am currently cooling it with a 90mm zalman at 2200 rpm. 41c idle and 58 full load.
my rig: p4p800-e deluxe with 219 fsb, and 1.424 vcore. (using auto voltage feature as it seams to come out cooler and more stable.)
memory is a pair of midrange kingston dual channel 1gb 3200s. ddr1.
graphics is ati9600 500/300 with copper heatsinks pulling 550/320
400 watt atx power supply.
3 harddrives, 1dvd burner, 1 tv tuner, 6 medium speed 80/90mm casefans.

my primary question is why cant i get it to go 4ghz and be STABLE:bang head . (i can get to 3.9 but it crashes during gaming) -- 4.1ghz, it simply wont even boot. i dont benchmark or do any of that other stuff. i just run a 20min burn in tester to make sure i can actually use it at that speed without melting anything. my overclocking is for the sole purpose of not having to buy new stuff.

my secondard question is what would stabilise it, heat, power, etc. and would it be worth buying that nice 700w ive been eyeing (need more harddrives too) or the xp90c?
or am i just stuck at this speed forever because another factor wont let me push it further?

i air cool beacuse its cheap. ive looked at water and am planning on that for my next system, but for now i dont wanna blow cash and try to get atleast 2 more years out of this rig.

i use it primarily for gaming (graphics upgrade to gainward agp 7800 next year), video editing, etc.

thanks to anyone who has advice or experince with a setup like this :)

I've got a Prescott 3.4 but LGA775 on a Asus P5ND2-Sli Deluxe. I've gotten it up to 250FSB which is 4.25GHz. I had to crank up the voltage to around 1.4 to get it stable. I've run orthos for 6 hours with no errors. I would try upping the voltage and keeping the RAM and default clock.

allright, third question. whats killvoltage on a 3.4?

also: since im allready pulling 1.4 on auto (probally can go lower manual) im guessing i need a new heatsink

that also pushes my question of do i have enough power as my previous attempts to boot over 4.1 have just given me a blank screen.

Prescotts draw a LOT of power. i would imagine your 400w psu (what brand model btw?) isn't up to snuff.

THANKYOU.
figured asmuch .
as for heat, to push 4.2 or higher, would xp90c do anything significantly more than zalman 90mm copper?

My s478 3.4E needs 1.475v actual (1.525 in BIOS) to run at 4.0GHz stable. IMO it's really hard to get 4.0 stable without H20 cooling. What stepping are you running? E0 is the best oc'er, followed by D0 (mine).

unfortunatley the multiplier is locked on this chip. . . :bang head
and i do not have the expertize and guts to physically mod the board. its my only computer. rather not have it go up in smoke.

My 3.4 Northwood would only do 3.8 on a MAX 3...
my 3.4 EE Galitin core did the same..
My 3.2 would do 3.9 and I had a 3.4ES that did 4.1.....
All this on air.....
I doubt you could get much more from your CPU...even with water...

thanks for the infor chrosshairs. :) i figured there was a limit onboard since its not the extreme edition chip. my old old old celeron had the same problem. wouldnt push past 42% but atleast that was a very significant overclock and worth the money. this ones kinda a ripoff that i cant take it any further :( i was hoping to crack 4ghz - oh well
what about this electrically powered aluminum heatsink i read about on the homepage? its specs are good but they never really said how it works.
can someone link me to a thread since i cant seam to find one. thanks :)

Back