• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e4400 good for this..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timtooAMD

price drops comming soon and then e4400 will be on its way + student loan comes in so i can actaully buy my upgrades at long last! and all within one week woohoo!

anyways back to the point...

im upgrading the rig in my sig to an e4400 (was going to be an e4300 but price drops commin along so i thought why not?) an Asrock dual vista board/maybe 4 core vista and 2 lots of 1 gig kingston value ram @ 667

usage = video editing, computer GIS analysis, playing music, games (want a key gaming rig, but not within my budget, will most likely get one next year upon fini uni, hence me getting a c2d and an agp borad - so can use current agp)

my question is can i o/c the e4400 from 2g stock to nere 3, the mobo i want hits a fsb wall at 300 approx, i dont mind being a bit below, but can i o/c to that with that ram, as i herd the e4300, e4400 dont need high spec ram to o/c ive done my research but dont understand fsb to ram ratios and things
and wanted to know can a e4400 running at say 300x10 run with 667 ram? sorry for sounding stupid, but i can't find a clear answer in laymans terms on the net to put it symply for me.

manny thanks

p.s. anybody else getting an e4400? + excited about price drops (yay!)

timtooAMD said:
my question is can i o/c the e4400 from 2g stock to nere 3, the mobo i want hits a fsb wall at 300 approx, i dont mind being a bit below, but can i o/c to that with that ram, as i herd the e4300, e4400 dont need high spec ram to o/c ive done my research but dont understand fsb to ram ratios and things
and wanted to know can a e4400 running at say 300x10 run with 667 ram? sorry for sounding stupid, but i can't find a clear answer in laymans terms on the net to put it symply for me.

manny thanks

p.s. anybody else getting an e4400? + excited about price drops (yay!)
to put it shortly, yes, what you have planned will work just fine.

basically its like this. ddr2 runs at half of it rated speed, when talking in terms of MHZ. so, ddr2-1000 runs at 500mhz, ddr2-800 runs at 400mhz, and ddr2-667 runs at 333mhz. these are the rated speeds. of course, you can overclock the ram and go higher, or underclock them and go lower.

with C2D's, the ram runs at the same speed as the fsb. so if your goal is 10*300, then your ram will also have to run at 300mhz, or ddr2-600 speeds. so you would be running under the stock speeds.

i am concerned about what you said, about the motherboard you want being limited to 300fsb....is it perhaps a asrock dualvsta? while these boards are decent if all you have is ddr and agp, and need to upgrade, you are already buying new ram. if you can save up a few $$ more, i would go with a proven 965 board, like a 965 s3, biostar tforce 965p, or p5b-e. something along those lines anyways.

this way, you can run your fsb up to 333, thus raising the ram to 333mhz, or their rated speeds. also, 333*9=2997mhz, so you can either go with a e4400 and lower the multi, or save a few $$ to put towards the more expensive mobo and get a e4300.

if you have more money to spend, i would say forget the e4x00's entirely, and look for a e6320 or e6420. these would require faster ram mind you, due to the lower multi's, and it could exceed your budget by a bit.

what is your budget btw?

*edit* just reread your post, and yes, it is the asrock you were talking about.... i would stay away. yes, they will do 300fsb, but they can be buggy and i have heard of people having reliability problems. i would pony up the few extra bucks and grab a cheapo pci-e card. the secret to a nice stable oc'd rig is, never skimp on your PSU, your MOBO, or your RAM, in that order. for what you have planned, spending big bux on high end ram isn't required, so don't worry about that. but DO get a better mobo if you can...you won't regret it.

I agree, avoid that motherboard. If you are on a tight budget, get a better motherboard (like maybe the Gigabyte DS3) and drop down to the E4300. That will do 3 gig easy and your DDR2-667 RAM will be right in spec.

those boards do look nice, but i want one with 2 ide ports still, i see many that have 1, but ive got 2 hdds +dvd drive to run

im not aiming for the top extreme performance, as im sure it will be a lot better than my present system at close to stock settings anyway, but know of a good mobo with 2 ide connectors?

hey Human, good find, i might go with that one, but i did just look on ebay and found u can get ide to sata converters, but im guessing these would proberly hinder performance

i don't think the sata converters will hurt performance. after all, sata is faster than ide, so it should go at the same speed as ide, or close enough. but i think if you want to continue to run a bunch of ide drives, its best to have 2 ide chains. some people complain that getting those converters set up properly can be a pain (and yes i'm looking at you rainless :p). personally what i did, is i dropped one of the 2 80gb ide drives i was running on my old p4 rig, and just ran 1x80gb and my dvd-rw. then in a month i grabbed a 320gb stata drive for like $110. now i run th 80gb, the 320gb and the dvd-rw. when i have time, i'll grab another 320gb for some raid action.

if your goal is 3-3.2ghz with a e4300-e4400, then that mobo will get you there. i don't think it will hit 550fsb like some others, but that's not what you are setting out to do.

Back