• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a home server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I use windows virtual pc purely cos I can drag and drop from the host pc into the vm pc and vice versa. My vista x64 dual core host copes pretty well tbh running server 2003 and windows xp media centre.
Its nice to hear some ppl doing the same :)

I use windows virtual pc purely cos I can drag and drop from the host pc into the vm pc and vice versa. My vista x64 dual core host copes pretty well tbh running server 2003 and windows xp media centre.
Its nice to hear some ppl doing the same :)

imo virtual pc isnt as good as vmware. the functionality of vmware is tremendous. server v2.0 is a little cumbersome, but i'm getting used to it and where options are.

imo virtual pc isnt as good as vmware. the functionality of vmware is tremendous. server v2.0 is a little cumbersome, but i'm getting used to it and where options are.

you are probably right, but the only thing i have come accross that i personally have not been able to do, is make the virtual machine use a physical usb port..

you cannot drag and drop like i mentioned in vmware - which is a BIG issue for me, since i do EVERYTHING in virtual xp (downloads, video conversion, software 'playing about' etc
whats vmware better than virtual pc for? virtual pc is free!

**i KEEP! getting damn power cuts!! its going to break my vista host i swear!
tomorrow im not leaving my pc on!

I've went through all of the iterations of a home server and want to know what I ultimatelly ended up with? An Apple Time Capsule. Don't let the name apple fool you, it's nothing more than a router with a hard drive plugged in. I picked up the 500 gb version and immediately dropped in a 1tb drive. Expansion options you ask? well it has a built in usb port so I can connect a hub and daisy chain more hdds as I need them.

If apple scares you, you can always get a linksys router that does the same thing.

I too have come into my free time being scare and when it comes right down to it, do you really want to over complicate simple storage? I've have all of it from freenas, to Win2k3 to WHS to ubuntu. They all worked but I found I would have to tinker here and there, or if the server failed due to some update etc. Not to mention the cost of upkeep, noise, and space requirements of a normal server compared to the time capsule.

Your decision though.

you are probably right, but the only thing i have come accross that i personally have not been able to do, is make the virtual machine use a physical usb port..

you cannot drag and drop like i mentioned in vmware - which is a BIG issue for me, since i do EVERYTHING in virtual xp (downloads, video conversion, software 'playing about' etc
whats vmware better than virtual pc for? virtual pc is free!

**i KEEP! getting damn power cuts!! its going to break my vista host i swear!
tomorrow im not leaving my pc on!

its weird the way vmware works, 1.0 versions work great for USB and the likes, however, v2 i am not sure, i could never get my flash mounted in linux.

its weird the way vmware works, 1.0 versions work great for USB and the likes, however, v2 i am not sure, i could never get my flash mounted in linux.

Linux!? Patoey! :)

i have vmware on my work laptop, on a dual core intel, with 2gb ram.. i know its only a laptop, but im pretty sure it should be able to run the xp virtual machine! but whenever i do, it just freezes up because there is no available memory left!
combination of crap dell laptop, and user error?

one thing i did try with virtual pc, was install one of those linux bootable cd's "compiz fuzion".. got about as far as the first splash screen and then went all funny, so gave up and used windows instead :)

another vote for WHS. I've been testing it when it was in beta stage, and I finally moved/built a WHS box for my home after the PP1 was released. as others said, it's simple, easy, and get the job done. just set it and forget it. it even wake up my HTPCs for backup and put them back to sleep mode too!

i set up a second nas last night with the latest release of FreeNAS....i have to say, they have come a long way with this release... there are TONS of options now, my favorite is the addition of transmission torrent client....now i can make the nas do all the torrenting

Mmm I don't know how much your time is worth but I would say try learning linux.

Firstly you learn a skill that is useful in the process. Secondly, do you really want to shell out 200 bucks for a windows license. I mean Linux can run as a home server, is stable, and no charge. I also don't like the idea that w/ MS you are basically a slave to their corporation and if you want updates you will have to keep shelling out cash and they will wait 7 years to fix a known problem (http://www.computerworld.com/action...cleBasic&articleId=9120005&source=rss_topic85)

i completely agree TalRW.

if it werent for my gaming addiction, every pc in my house would be windows free
the only windows machines i have here are the 3 gaming pcs, and my htpc. all the others are running *nix variants (openfiler, freenas, smoothwall, untangle, debian, ubuntu)

Mmm I don't know how much your time is worth but I would say try learning linux.

Firstly you learn a skill that is useful in the process. Secondly, do you really want to shell out 200 bucks for a windows license. I mean Linux can run as a home server, is stable, and no charge. I also don't like the idea that w/ MS you are basically a slave to their corporation and if you want updates you will have to keep shelling out cash and they will wait 7 years to fix a known problem (http://www.computerworld.com/action...cleBasic&articleId=9120005&source=rss_topic85)

Show me a version that offers half of what WHS does...

pick one.
my guess is that there is a linux version of EVERYTHING that WHS can do

I think you're giving an answer that you feel fits your point.

There is no way in hell there is a linux distro that includes everything that WHS does, without even considering the learning curve involved.

And yes, I understand your answer is a linux distro with alot of mods, but then we're not working with an experienced linux user here, either.

do you really want to shell out 200 bucks for a windows license.

btw, WHS is only $99.99. :cool:

every person might have different needs and value. to me, I'd rather spend $100, set it and forget it. it works (after PP1), and does what I need to do, backing up whole house PC, simple remote access setup, central media files storage, simple remote file access/sharing, hosting simple family pics site to share w/ other family members, and one more important (to me) feature, easy drives upgrade (just plug new drive in, and that's it!)!. I'm just too busy in RL to learn/mess around.....

I'm sure other server/backup version of Linux or others are also good option (e.g. unRAID, FreeNAS, etc.), but I just don't have the time or motivation to learn/mess with it. with many other things (and hobbies) that needs my attention, learning/messing around with a simple home server is the last thing I want to do.

just my $0.02.

btw, WHS is only $99.99. :cool:

every person might have different needs and value. to me, I'd rather spend $100, set it and forget it. it works (after PP1), and does what I need to do, backing up whole house PC, simple remote access setup, central media files storage, simple remote file access/sharing, hosting simple family pics site to share w/ other family members, and one more important (to me) feature, easy drives upgrade (just plug new drive in, and that's it!)!. I'm just too busy in RL to learn/mess around.....

I'm sure other server/backup version of Linux or others are also good option (e.g. unRAID, FreeNAS, etc.), but I just don't have the time or motivation to learn/mess with it. with many other things (and hobbies) that needs my attention, learning/messing around with a simple home server is the last thing I want to do.

just my $0.02.

Ok fair enough. I mean your reasoning is sound (P.S. I didn't know how much WHS costs so I just guessed on the 200 bucks). After using linux for about a year and a half I know my way around it way better so I definitly would feel more comfortable with a linux server then a windows one. I mean the last windows OS I used was 2000 so even give me an XP or vista system and ask me to do something semi complex and it would take me a while to do it (most likely because they moved the settings somewhere else from where I'm used to.)

I mean to each his own. You have to weight your options. If a windows solution works out better for you so be it. I mean I plan to actually do the same thing in the next month for my parents but I'll be using a debian system. I plan to set it up w/ samba/NFS for file sharing and mythTV for TV recording and media center functions. To me the thought of doing it on a windows system would actually feel like more work for me. Plus I like the idea that if need be I can spend that 100 bucks on better hardware instead of spending it on software.

I decided to go with WHS. I gave freenas serious consideration but in the end I just don't have the time to learn a new OS. Everything thing else I have is Microsoft(3 Vista systems, Xbox 360, my phone, wife's Zune) so hopefully it will fit right in. For $100 it is not worth learning a new OS. If it was $200, then it probably would be linux. WHS certainly has its faults but I think it the end it is the better way for me to go.

I decided to go with WHS. I gave freenas serious consideration but in the end I just don't have the time to learn a new OS.

perhaps you missed the point i tried to make earlier.

there is no need to LEARN a new OS with FreeNAS. you install it, you browse to the webpage, you configure your disks and your shares, just like a NAS you buy in a store that is overpriced, there is nothing 'new' or considered 'a learning curve'
this is the exact reason people are afraid to use linux for anything. they think its going to be too complicated, and fall back on what they are used to, when a lot of these things are extremely simple.

i messed around with the free version of unraid last night and i gotta say i liked it, but i dont think i like it enough to pay for it, it just didnt offer enough features

I'm sure WHS will give you everything you need and i hope you get your money's worth out of it.

perhaps you missed the point i tried to make earlier.

there is no need to LEARN a new OS with FreeNAS. you install it, you browse to the webpage, you configure your disks and your shares, just like a NAS you buy in a store that is overpriced, there is nothing 'new' or considered 'a learning curve'
this is the exact reason people are afraid to use linux for anything. they think its going to be too complicated, and fall back on what they are used to, when a lot of these things are extremely simple.

i messed around with the free version of unraid last night and i gotta say i liked it, but i dont think i like it enough to pay for it, it just didnt offer enough features

I'm sure WHS will give you everything you need and i hope you get your money's worth out of it.

You're doing too much of your forum username.

FreeNAS does not, and will not, offer all of the features of WHS. I suggest you work with the product before assuming you know everything about it.

You're doing too much of your forum username.

FreeNAS does not, and will not, offer all of the features of WHS. I suggest you work with the product before assuming you know everything about it.

CW, i think that was uncalled for.

i didnt say that it did everything that WHS can do. i was frustrated at the comment 'dont have time to learn a new os', when in fact you dont have to learn a damn thing to use FreeNAS. Openfiler you will have to teach yourself a thing or 2, but FreeNAS just works. And as for you comment on working with a product, i have a FreeNAS box sitting here with 1tb in it. i AM using it, just upgraded from an old version 2 nights ago. i also have an openfiler box sitting here with 3.2tb in it. please dont try to get condescending with me on this, i wasnt arguing what WHS could or couldnt do, i was trying to help people understand that FreeNAS is not some strange new OS that you have to learn, everything is done through the webGUI and requires no linux knowledge at all, its just like one of those overpriced NAS boxes you can buy in a store.

i dont appreciate you telling me that i am smoking too much dope either, i havent smoked pot in over a year...so stop judging.

i dont claim to know it all, but i like to help people understand that the almighty microshaft is not the only game in town, and there are specialized products designed to do what people want them to do, but it takes a willingness to LISTEN and LEARN.

if you have problems with me, please lets take it up in a PM. this discussion is about home server/file server options and i shouldnt be attacked like you have attacked me, accusing me of never using a product that i like to use and endorse.

Back