• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project 64:OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pharaoh, a simple trick I do for wiring like that, is to use heat shrink tubing around the posts after you solder it on. It helps keep the joints clean and provides some slight mechanical protection as well in case you drop it or something.

Also, when you go to lay everything out, cut your wire over length by about 50%. Then solder the wire to the most mechanical stable position, and you can use a drill to twist the wires, creating a very neat and tidy wiring job that will actually hold up better in the long run.

Soldering is 50% patience, and 50% art. Takes some time to get good at, but over time your joints and soldering performance definitely improves. A good soldering iron is pretty vital as well. Stihl makes a fantastic variable temp soldering station for not a whole lot of money.

http://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Sta...sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=stihl+soldering+station

i own a 150$ Weller station, and to be completely blunt, the biggest difference for me are the tips and quality of the station itself. The stihl "works" just as well as the weller.

That and some anti-static soldering tweezers. I have these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Safe-Anti-static-Tweezers-Maintenance-Tools-ESD-/200794457707
I didn't buy them from that guy, I have no idea what sort of seller he is. All I know is that I have a bunch of VETUS tweezers and they're great for the price.

Thats a pretty good price for those o_O I think I payed 10 bucks for just one flat tip tweezer. edit: ah, those be some chinese ones.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...ize-Vetus-ESD-Tweezers-Tweezer/728714139.html

Very cool to see this mod successfully finished!

As a side note: Perfect Dark and Golden Eye are rare? :sly:

I have both, and I must say I love them both. PD is my jam though.

Nice man, I applaud your fix! Isn't it nice when you perform soldering work that you weren't really sure you could do? Hehe. I always attempt stuff that I know is, at best, a 50/50 chance of totally ruining the thing I was trying to mod :p Always feels awesome when it works.

Nice man, I applaud your fix! Isn't it nice when you perform soldering work that you weren't really sure you could do? Hehe. I always attempt stuff that I know is, at best, a 50/50 chance of totally ruining the thing I was trying to mod :p Always feels awesome when it works.

Sense of accomplishment. Yes :)

I didn't think that soldering iron could do it because of the chunky tip it had, but I made it work :p

At least now I know what a pain in the rear tiny little legs on chip are to solder! :rofl:
Practice makes perfect.

Dude, my soldering iron is so sh---- it doubles as a "wood burning" kit ROFL :rofl:

I mean, it was 50 bucks, awesome for automotive stuff, and tons of other stuff. But does that stop me from touching it to a computer's MB or whatever? Nope :p

And yep, the small stuff is killer. Can you believe people have added RAM chips to original XBOX consoles?? Patience? More like equipment / years of experience... just my guess.

Dude, my soldering iron is so sh---- it doubles as a "wood burning" kit ROFL :rofl:

I mean, it was 50 bucks, awesome for automotive stuff, and tons of other stuff. But does that stop me from touching it to a computer's MB or whatever? Nope :p

And yep, the small stuff is killer. Can you believe people have added RAM chips to original XBOX consoles?? Patience? More like equipment / years of experience... just my guess.

Hehe, mine's meant to burn wood, solder and cut foam! :rofl:

This is awesome!

Thanks! :)

I got to play with the N64 more last week, Mario Kart 64 isn't all that better, but you can notice the difference in Luigi's Circuit where they have the 2nd camera following you and showing you on the screen. It's less choppy.

Multiplayer was a smidge better too. :)

Thanks! :)

I got to play with the N64 more last week, Mario Kart 64 isn't all that better, but you can notice the difference in Luigi's Circuit where they have the 2nd camera following you and showing you on the screen. It's less choppy.

Multiplayer was a smidge better too. :)

Have you tried DK64?

Does it get really hot at all?

Have you tried DK64?

Does it get really hot at all?

Don't have DK64 :(

I haven't noticed any extra heat no.

You could if you want, put some thermal paste on the CPU, GPU and RCP heatsinks, and replace the stock thermal pads they put on the chips themselves.

I'd reckon they aren't 3M thermal pads ;)

Don't have DK64 :(

I haven't noticed any extra heat no.

You could if you want, put some thermal paste on the CPU, GPU and RCP heatsinks, and replace the stock thermal pads they put on the chips themselves.

I'd reckon they aren't 3M thermal pads ;)

Ah dang. DK64 probably my favorite N64 game.

But it always make me wonder. If it can run faster without really any negative side effects then why didn't they tweak the original design and make a (slightly) more powerful console?

Ah dang. DK64 probably my favorite N64 game.

But it always make me wonder. If it can run faster without really any negative side effects then why didn't they tweak the original design and make a (slightly) more powerful console?

Never mind that, they should have ditched the dumb 4Kb hard limit on textures and upped that RAMBUS RAM from 4Mb to 8 or 16Mb :)

Wonder if one can actually solder in larger RAM chips? :eh?:

That and make the Reality Co-processor faster. :)

I just went over that page linked earlier and I assume i'll solder to that 4th pin he tells you to lift. who ever made that doesent say for sure its almost as if he got side tracked making it and didn't finish

I just went over that page linked earlier and I assume i'll solder to that 4th pin he tells you to lift. who ever made that doesent say for sure its almost as if he got side tracked making it and didn't finish

Yeah ... :-/

Not very high res pictures too. Hmmm...

Maybe we can dig up a better guide. :)

Back