• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diagnosing instability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zombinov

Registered
Hello komrades! I am new here but i believe this to be the best place to post this.
I am experiencing a slightly massive instability issue on my system. I have already tested a few things it is just that i am new to this.
The most common symptom is browser crashes then program crashes, with the very rare system hang. I have noticed these problems are increasing in frequency so i decided to do some troubleshooting... There seems to be no difference in stability whether idling or under heavy load, so i do not think it is the PSU. The entire build is about 4 years old.

My system:
CPU: 3570k
Mobo: MSI z77-g45
Ram: 8x2 GB, Corsair ddr3 1600 (10-10-10-27)
PSU: Corsair tx750

I was running a mild overclock on my CPU @ 4.3 ghz, with voltage on auto (Voltage was ~1.13), all other voltages on default.

The system fails Intel Burn test on maximum, and memtest (HCI). Temps are all fine under load. I also tried the IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool and my CPU failed AVX... But passed all other tests. Don't know about that one.

What I already tried.

Ram:
Set timings manually
Set speed manually
Increased voltage (1.65v)
Tested each stick individually
It should be noted that with one only one stick in use memtest takes longer to produce errors.

CPU:
Set to default settings
disable turbo boost
Increase voltage (1.2v)

Mobo:
Updated bios
Visual inspection passed :p

PSU:
Its not overheating

and of course a clean install of win10 with latest drivers

Anything else I have left to try? I was hopping to get one more year out of the system :(

So it looks like it is the ram. I had some ddr3-1333 in another pc i tried out and they worked with no issues. I would have not expected both sticks to go bad at once. So now i wonder if something killed them? or were they just shoddy from the beginning?
But now I am in search of new ram.
I am looking at these.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589
Just a couple last questions :)
Is it safe to run ivy bridge ram at 1.65v? And would i be able to get it running at 2400mhz?
Thanks!

That's a great ram kit and will work well in that rig. 1.5v ram will help the system run cooler but it's totally fine.

Thanks, I will be getting that kit then. Also looks like my stress testing has put my ram over the edge. 817 errors in the last 24 hours in event viewer :p

Are you still having problems with RAM?
No problems with the other ram. Can run IBT on max for an hour, memtest for over an hour and no errors, when before memtest would fail immediately. Event viewer has calmed down with the errors.
Before I was still using the bad ram as the other pc was still needed.

On a side note ( its not mandatory ) but I would recommend a fresh windows install if you were having that many crashes and Mem errors .

I'm going to try avoid a new install of windows if I can (Limited bandwidth) But if I run into any unexplained issues I know what I'll be doing.
In hindsight I think my ram my have been bad from the beginning, my system has never felt 100% stable. An unexplained error every couple months slowly increased to this point. I'll add memtest to the things to run on a new computer!

If you're RAM has been throwing errors it is likely that it has corrupted the OS by now.

Ok, I got my new Ram but to run stable at 2400 10-12-12-31, the cpu needed an IO voltage of 1.13v. Is this safe?
Thanks!

I managed to get the ram stable at stock io voltage... Made a stupid mistake, I was running the ram at 1.5v, upped it to 1.6v and now everything is fine!
Now i know i have some overclocking headroom :D

Back