• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EA's Origin service... Do you like it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you like EA's Origin service?

• Yes! Its worth it to have my games on another service?

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Sort of... The games I want are only available on Origin

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • No. I dislike Origin or the fact that I have to use yet ANOTHER service

Votes: 79 63.2%
  • Goat

Votes: 14 11.2%

• Total voters

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I am wondering about EA's Origin service.

Personally I am wary of anything EA does but with Mass Effect 3 out and Simcity possibly around the corner i am wondering how other people find this service.

If you have it, would you subscribe if you could do it over again?
What have you heard or read?
Are there ever any sales?

Thoughts?
Comments?

If you have it, would you subscribe if you could do it over again? YES
What have you heard or read? Mostly BS
Are there ever any sales? YES

I don't understand the big deal, i never really liked steam either, aside from the sales on SP games.

If you have it, would you subscribe if you could do it over again? Subscribe? not sure what you mean, but I don't have a huge issue with using it if I absolutely have to (still prefer Steam)

What have you heard or read? Mostly just complaints from people not wanting to use another service.

Are there ever any sales? Yes

I don't like it strictly because its an EA product, since they are the pioneers of the whole gaming "pay $59.99 for part of the game or $79.99 for uber edition or otherwise known as a full game" movement.

well last week i brought batman ac and the code they gave me is not working. so i emailed them . and they said they know a lot of codes are not working and its down to me to sort it out with warner bros . first and last time i buy from origin. im still waitng for a reply from wb . origin sucks

I have had no problems with Origin. Purchased BF3 and SWTOR and have had zero issues. IMO the interface looks more clean than Steams, but both services work for me.

I've had it since it was EA download manager because that's where the games I wanted were. It's ok. I prefer Steam as it's better integrated. Both are more like leasing games than buying them which I am ok with. I'm tired of CD/DVDs and entering keys.

EDIT: From what I've heard in the industry these "services" are saving PC gaming. They are harder to pirate so the publishers can make money off the PC which motivates them to make more PC games.:thup:

EDIT: From what I've heard in the industry these "services" are saving PC gaming. They are harder to pirate so the publishers can make money off the PC which motivates them to make more PC games.:thup:

Huh, I was under the impression that Steam was usually one of the first DRM types cracked after a game was released. But I suppose total integration (ie Skyrim) would be harder to crack.

Don't use Origin, probably won't despite the fact I really want BF3. I like having all my games in one spot, in this case Steam. Plus, EA "lost" all of my BF2 stats when I re-purchased the game on Steam. Gave me some run around excuse about how an online account is linked to the serial number of a game, and that's got me wondering what it'll be like if something happened to my Origin account.

Huh, I was under the impression that Steam was usually one of the first DRM types cracked after a game was released. But I suppose total integration (ie Skyrim) would be harder to crack.
Hmm maybe they meant that there was less pirating on Steam when I was told that? But I'm no expert just what a game dev told me.

Don't use Origin, probably won't despite the fact I really want BF3. I like having all my games in one spot, in this case Steam. Plus, EA "lost" all of my BF2 stats when I re-purchased the game on Steam. Gave me some run around excuse about how an online account is linked to the serial number of a game, and that's got me wondering what it'll be like if something happened to my Origin account.
That does sound fishy. I bought BF2 on steam to avoid the multi CD shuffle to reload it and all my stats remained. Sorry to hear yours got messed up.

EDIT: Maybe they just mean that steam made it cheaper on their end so less sales meant more money with no physical copies and what not?

Not much experience Origin as I have with Steam, which, btw, I wish they allowed you create "tabs" when browsing through games rather than have to start ALL OVER when searching through their library...

But with Origin, I just play BF3, so all I do with origin is click play on that game lol.

That does sound fishy. I bought BF2 on steam to avoid the multi CD shuffle to reload it and all my stats remained. Sorry to hear yours got messed up.

EDIT: Maybe they just mean that steam made it cheaper on their end so less sales meant more money with no physical copies and what not?

I was a little confused at what they were getting at since I talked to two CS reps and they both gave different answers. First one said "they made a switch to a new system" and the reason I couldn't access it was because I made the account before the switch. When I asked if there was any way to get my account transferred, (s)he moved me over to a higher level rep who said I couldn't gain access to the account with a different CD key. At this point I hadn't seen the original CD case in years, but even though I was able to give all the other information asked about the account I was told there was nothing that could be done. At that point I had spent over an hour on it and just said screw it.

I only have one game on Origin, Battlefield 3, which really isn't even on Origin since you have to launch the game from battlelog, which then launches it from Origin. It's really a step backwards in interface design as far as I'm concerned but it seems to be the design EA is intent on using. At least battlelog isn't near as clumsy and slow as the Battlefield Heroes web launcher.

I do like how Origin connects and loads up almost instantly, whereas steam sits at the connecting screen doing whatever for several minute before launching.

As far as sales go, Origin currently has a 50% off sale that ends today. That's the only reason I even bought Battlefield 3. Getting Battlefield 3 plus Back to Karkand for a little under $40 is a pretty sweet deal.

No, I can't stand it...or Steam for that matter. I really hate the way game companies have gone the way of a second program that has to run in the background while I game just to keep tabs on me. I keep my game computers pretty much stripped of all extra apps other than games and testing/benching stuff and Origin type things just clutters them up and use resources. Not to mention I hate all things EA and don't trust them with my worst enemy's computer much less mine.

I like Steam better. Only have it for BF3. And my Steam sure as hell doesnt take several minutes.

If you have it, would you subscribe if you could do it over again? Subscribe? not sure what you mean, but I don't have a huge issue with using it if I absolutely have to (still prefer Steam)

By subscribe I meant would you re-sign up for it. I.E. "subscribe" to a service :thup:

Steam and Origin though different clients in their own respect both share something I highly dislike. The need to run in the back ground while playing games. I know there's a way to play some of Steam's single player games offline by using the executable but if you want to play online it's got to be running. Same with Origin for BF3 and the broswer/battlelog system (but this thread's not about that), I just don't like a client that needs to be running in order to run a game you already have all the files for.

Steam and Origin though different clients in their own respect both share something I highly dislike. The need to run in the back ground while playing games. I know there's a way to play some of Steam's single player games offline by using the executable but if you want to play online it's got to be running. Same with Origin for BF3 and the broswer/battlelog system (but this thread's not about that), I just don't like a client that needs to be running in order to run a game you already have all the files for.

I just don't see what the big deal is. It isn't that resource intensive, especially by today's standards of most (gaming) PCs having at least 4GB of RAM and it doesn't really use any CPU resources really either. At the same time it allows you to mostly seamlessly chat with friends [while in-game], allows for groups, etc.

Steam.. Origin.. Its all the same! As long as I can play BF3, It doesn't bother me personally. :)

I just don't see what the big deal is. It isn't that resource intensive, especially by today's standards of most (gaming) PCs having at least 4GB of RAM and it doesn't really use any CPU resources really either. At the same time it allows you to mostly seamlessly chat with friends [while in-game], allows for groups, etc.

Right on. This is while many gamers are also using TeamSpeak/Vent/Xfire/Browser/Antivirus/whatever else in the background. RAM is cheap and far ahead of the gaming industry. :rolleyes:

Back