• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PFSense dropping internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its
Code:
AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e
2 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
Memory usage 	3% of 7114 MB

Sitting on top of an SSD (cuz I had a spare one)

Its simply 14M Cable connection

I have tried 3 different ethernet cables, and 2 different computers for a total of 5 nics. (one computer had 3 nics, the other has 2).

As an update, I have registered the same errors in the modem that corresponded with outages in the last few days. However, since I have changed the polling and down integers, I haven't had a complete outage. I am hopeful that this is a good workaround.

As for activity during the outages, I believe I have previously mentioned that it is completely random, sometimes no one is even home when the monitoring software and router report the outage. Sometimes its netflix, sometimes its WoW, sometimes its just general browsing. There doesn't seem to be any correlation to upload bandwidth, or bandwidth usage in general

Well ok, looks like your ruled out the its so simple I didn't even bother checking possibility's.

And your hardware is way overkill for what your doing, so yep that one is out.

lastly as someone who just moved to Ontario from BC, 14Mbps, yeah me too. What is wrong with this province, internet availability is junk here.

You type your modem in wrong by any chance?
Thompson DCM476 sound more like it?

I have a very similar setup as you and if you need be, i could run test on my side if you think that could help.

My ISP is start.ca as i am in a Cogeco area but not willing to pay their ridiculous rates.

lastly as someone who just moved to Ontario from BC, 14Mbps, yeah me too. What is wrong with this province, internet availability is junk here.

Beats me... its absolute rubbish.

You type your modem in wrong by any chance?
Thompson DCM476 sound more like it?

Not sure what this means? This is what I put in one of my earlier posts:

Thompson DCM476

I have a very similar setup as you and if you need be, i could run test on my side if you think that could help.

My ISP is start.ca as i am in a Cogeco area but not willing to pay their ridiculous rates.

We could be neighbours, Cogeco is also the provider in my area. You must be south of London than, as I believe that London and north is all Rogers territory

Beats me... its absolute rubbish.

Not sure what this means? This is what I put in one of my earlier posts:

Thompson DCM476

Sorry, looks like i read the numbers all backwards. Ignore what i said.

We could be neighbours, Cogeco is also the provider in my area. You must be south of London than, as I believe that London and north is all Rogers territory

Nope in Belleville.
Cogeco has the entire Belleville/Trenton area along with Kingston.

Thought I would follow up with this, I have not had a single outage since I adjusted the polling and down metrics.

I still have packet loss, but the complete outages seem to have stopped. It appears this was the work around

I got some responses, but they werent as helpful or as active as here

Hi Stratus_ss,

I am running into the exact same issue and I was wondering how you fixed it.

You say: "Thought I would follow up with this, I have not had a single outage since I adjusted the polling and down metrics".

What exactly did you adjust? What are the polling and down metrics exactly? What options in pfsense did you set exactly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Woosnix.

After a few days with gateway monitoring disabled, I have noticed no appreciable change (still running 2.0.3). I have re-enabled gateway monitoring and set the Frequency Probe to 3 and down to 20 as well as the low water mark for Package Loss to 25%.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-08-08 19:19:08.png
    Screenshot from 2014-08-08 19:19:08.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,943
Ah, I think I found the problem. I am using an Intel NUC with one NIC and set pfSense up to create two VLANs, VLAN 1 and VLAN 2. I assigned the WAN interface to VLAN1 and the LAN interface to VLAN2. However, the switch I am using (Netgear GS108T) always uses VLAN1 as DHCP. So after a while, VLAN1 on the switch would get the IP address from my Internet provider, instead of from my local LAN! So I changed VLAN1 to be the LAN and VLAN2 to be the WAN. This is probably a beginner's mistake, but I thought I'd post it anyway.....

Ah, still got a WAN ip address on my GS108T. So made it fixed to 192.168.1.126. This should work.

Just confirming that assigning a fixed LAN ip address to my switch was the solution.

I have the exact same setup as the OP and it's really frustrating to be unable to solve this packet loss issue. I've been contemplating on picking up a RouterBoard so that I don't have to deal with this anymore or just use a consumer router :(.

Changing the polling and down mitigates the issue but does not resolve it.

My setup involves PfSense, a DCM476, and my ISP also happens to be Start.ca.

BTW, there seems to be a correlation between the error below and the PfSense packet loss issue.
U52kwPP.png

Last edited:
Do you have a spare modem on hand? It seems to be a common factor here, whereas the hardware in the pfsense box almost certainly isn't the culprit.

Also, my packet loss problem was because our isp's local node is flaky, so we're fighting different issues here.

Do you have a spare modem on hand? It seems to be a common factor here, whereas the hardware in the pfsense box almost certainly isn't the culprit.

Also, my packet loss problem was because our isp's local node is flaky, so we're fighting different issues here.

I don't have a modem that I can activate. My last modem was a SB5121.

Urk. Because I wonder if that particular modem doesn't handle it's packets quite normally at times, and pfsense doesn't like that. Kinda like the sandforce 2200 chips and their disconnects from the sata controller that resulted in blue screening.

Did this problem occur with the old modem?

I dont want to hijak your thread but I have a question. How the hell did you get a FreeBSD OS to even install?!!?!?!

I tried PFsense on 2 old rigs I built from scratch parts on ebay, last even with opty server quad core and 4 gigz of ECC memory. I could boot, but it would always give errors on install, 1st attempt too, that was with a celey and I think 1 gig of RAM.

I also tried FreeBSD OS as well as other variants on my main rig and none of them would install?! I followed instructions and they all gave errors.

Gimme some OpenSUSE, I loved that out of all Lin distros I have tried.

I dont want to hijak your thread but I have a question. How the hell did you get a FreeBSD OS to even install?!!?!?!

This made me laugh, because I had so many issues installing across multiple machines. Finally, I said enough is enough and somehow managed to install it onto another machine I hadn't tried before. I guess you just really have to want it.

Also, to Stratus_ss, I have found this forum due to searching far and wide for a solution to the very same problem. I've pretty much come to a similar conclusion, that the problem is between semi-flaky/intermittent connectivity from the ISP and pfSense not liking it. However, I was still trying to figure out the technical reasons for what is causing the random loss/block.

Back