• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit Kg7-raid ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BonZai

Hello all,

Pretty new around these parts, and to the technical side of puters in general. However, with what I have read up on... pretty sold on the AMD product lines.

Aiming to build my first PC, and wanted to know what you pros thought of the KG7-RAID board (ABIT)! Found a source to get one of these for around 70 bucks including shipping... Is that a good price? Mainly though, is/will this board have good flexibility for the future?

I am undecided as to which processor to use, though I am not looking to go with the absolute fastest thing out right now! My present system is about 4 yrs old, and am embarrassed to say I bought it off of HSN (Home Shopping Network):
Celeron - 500 Mhz Processor
Intel CA810 mobo
2- sticks 64 MB RAM
12 GB HD

As you see, it wouldn't take much to boost my speed up and make me a VERY happy camper!

I should mention (I reckon) :rollseyes: what I wanna use the new box for, hey? Well, intending on running a server off of my cable connection (may switch to DSL soon). Looking at the possibility of running a few sites for some of the local shops in my area, as well as serving up a few of my own interest.

Hope you all can make sense of my ramblings. Looking forward to all advice anyone has to offer my nOObie self.

TIA

70 shipped is a pretty good price, considering the cheapest i can find is 68 shipped, but that place takes 4ever to ship tho..(atacom.com) anyway, if u want to setup a server rig, why not go for dual? i am not sure ur budge, but i am sure u can build one around 300. Go to "SMP" section for more info.

Thanks for the TIP'S

After doing a bit more research here and a few other places... Pauls site mainly (Thanks Paul!!!) Looks like I'll be going with the Abit KR7A-133R. It should server my purpose quite well, I feel.

As for my server plans, the load of my server won't be terribly intensive enough to justify going dually at this stage of the game. I did look over SMP section though, on your suggestion... da budget isn't padded enough for that yet! :rolleyes:

Thanks again tainice... better be aheading over to the processors arena now.

hey man nothing wrong with buying from the HSN. The first computer i bought was a 300 P2, or atleast they said it was. all it really was was an overclocked 233, those cheep *******s

uh huhhh... I say that as I log off, unplug my box, and begin digging inside which is kinda easy since the cover and front panel hasn't been on in a couple of months now. Does that qualify me to be a modified nOOb yet? teheeee!

Heee Heee... use to do a bit of cow-tipping in my younger days, allbeit that was long ago it seems! :burn:

Kewl emoticon and just had to use it cause my fingers been a itchin to do so!

Later

They sell them for 59 Dollar's on Pricewatch..

I was thinking about Purchasing one's, But the number of DOA'S That ABIT Motherboard's have, is unimmaginable.

Back