• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Problems with crossfire on 2x4870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToRpEdA667

Registered
Hi there everyone this is my firs thread so sorry if im doing anything wrong.
My system is wich i build my self:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965
Crosair 4gb ddr3 ram
Foxcon A9DA-s(does support cross fire)
2x ati radeon 4870
My problem has came out soon after i built the PC first it was workin fine on my 42 inch LG lcd on 1080p resolution and crossfire activated.
One day i switch it on and there was no signal showing on the screen but the OS started normal. i pluged it out then back in few in diferent ports times and the display shown again but crossfire was switched off and all setings were diferent in CCC. when i tryd to set it back up again after switching on cross fire :bang head NO SIGNAL i tryd in all diferent setings and reinstaling drivers swaping the cards. got it woking propaly again and then i lost it after switching PC bck on.

IS it me ?? is it my 42 inch tv ?? Pls help overclockers :rock:

Ps sorry for spelling english is not ny primary language`

Last edited:
Some pics My first home build PC :) :)

Attachments

• IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 137
I would try doing a full driver re-install.

Uninstall the driver via the "Programs and Features" control panel, the same way you'd uninstall any other program. Right click on it and click "Change", click next, then select the option to "Express Uninstall ALL ATI software". After that, remove any ATI Crossfire Profiles that are also listed there by right clicking on it and clicking "Uninstall".

There is no need to use Driver Sweeper or any crapware.

After that, with only one card installed, do a fresh driver install. Once everything is working with the single card, toss the 2nd card in.

If you have problems, why don't you sell your HD4870 cards and buy HD5870? That would be the most obvious problem solving path. I had a CF 4870 setup before, it ran on 625 W 82+ E power supply, i wonder why do you need 1 kW. Also, your 1 kW PSU is probably the most expensive part of PC.

yeah there is enough power. The reason for 1000w is that it was on a sale 110 quid or something and i am now sorted with power for yrs. the one before was 750w greenpower and it was foulty. blew up straight in my face :mad:LOL propably that is why asswell i was playing it safe. becouse its modular i can plugin as many cables as i need no more no less great for the watercooling system im planing to build in the future. Cards cost me second hand cheap. Im lookin right now at buying 5830 XXX what you think Artas???
Any ways i have sorted the problem im runing on basic resolutions not hdtv and it seems fine.working on crossfire no probs.
PS i think the CPU was a bit more expensive

I would not buy HD5830, since it has only 16 raster pixel units and uses 175 W - you will need two 6 pin power connectors for a relatively weak card! For a 42 inch monitor i can only recommend a HD6950 with 2 Gb of RAM, or perhaps a HD5870 1 Gb if you can find at least cheaper than HD6950 2 Gb.

CF HD4870 might have been a good performance solution, but in minimal frame rates CF does not get good enough frames as single HD6950 2 Gb does.

And if your CF HD4870 now works fine - keep it unless you can afford a HD5870 or HD6950. Do not replace CF HD4870 with anything less than HD5870 or HD6950!

Last edited:
yeah but i was thinkin of two 5830 they are 83 quid on ebuer right now brand new http://www.ebuyer.com/product/263858 maybe Artas is right and i should wait till i can afford top of the range . Is one 2gb 6950 going to be working aswell as two 1 gb cards on crossfire .. ??? thanks for looking into and respect bro EarthDog

Thanks for advices overclockers :rock: :rock:

Last edited:
Ok. I not even going to ask why im just going to trust in your knowlage.:comp: what crossfire cards would be resonable with 5xxx series so il have directx 11 support ?? should i just look att the ati chart the have on their offical site ///>>?

Why do you want a 5 series card? Why not get a 6 series card, like a 6950? That would be what I would do.

And the reason being is I simply dont prefer crossfire/sli 2 cheap lower end cards. I would rather get a single even more expensive card than two lower end ones. Scaling isnt perfect so I dont like spending the money on SLI or Crossfire. It only has a place in benchmarking and 2560x1600 resolutions or multi monitor setups.

Ok:thup: il think about to spawping to a single 2gb card . thanks for everything overclockers

A reference 2GB HD 6950 with flashed 6970 bios is the best deal going on right now if you want price/performance value.

Back