• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Biostar claims their boards will do 3600 memory. Anybody actually tried one out yet?

If so, that's pretty cool. Biostar making a comeback as a real player in the DIY PC market? It's been quite a while since that name was even considered for an upper tier build. Asus pretty much had the AMD enthusiast market locked up for a long time.

Biostar claims their boards will do 3600 memory. Anybody actually tried one out yet?

Newegg has GT5 B350 and X370 boards that look identical, which is odd. Then a different layout with the higher end X370 GT7. None of their specs mention anything over 2667 and the high end GT7 only has an original release BIOS

BiostarAM4.jpg

Gigabyte has 3600 OC on their website but on memory tested list is max 3200 ( even 4266 memory is marked as downgrade to 3200 ) - http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K7-rev-10#sp
Maximum working memory ratio is x32 so any motherboard can run higher only if BIOS supports bclk adjustment. From ASUS there is only CHVI which has it right now. From Gigabyte maybe that highest X370 Gaming K7 as lower one has it locked. I have no idea what about ASRock but I haven't seen any results at even 3000+ memory clock. Biostar ... somehow I doubt they made anything special but we will see. MSI BIOS is weird looking at various comments around the web but their highest X370 board has bclk and it costs more than ASUS CHVI.

Does anyone have some documentation on the various voltage? Such as, what is Vsoc? And some of the ram voltages? I think one of these may be related to my instability @ ddr4-2933, but I don't know what to play with, or what is safe.

On asus set higher VTT to stabilize memory but max is 1/2 of VDIMM +0.2V so if you want higher memory clock then you have to set higher memory voltage too. For instance I had to set 1.4V VDIMM to set 0.9V VTT even though memory could run at 1.35V.

It's occurred to me that it could be the PSU. It's a 700W Raidmax Titanium, so you'd think it would be pretty good, but I only got it recently since it was on sale so I can't vouch for how solid it actually is. I really need another decent board so I can compare and see if I get the same results.

Actually, I suppose I can swap out the PSU, but I don't really want to take apart another one of my systems though and have to redo all the cabling again.

Just pick up a new PSU from a store just to test.

You know, buying stuff from a store, just to return it raises the cost of that product from a store that much more....

When I'm not sure about keeping something, I go to Microcenter and pickup an open box item. Since it's already been returned, no harm, no foul. Plus I usually end up keeping it anyway since the price is too good not to.

I think you are right..

This was a good read for me..: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect#XMP
I found this information before seeing your post.

Intel Corporation officially introduced the eXtreme Memory Profile (XMP) Specification on March 23, 2007 to enable enthusiast performance extensions to the traditional JEDEC SPD specifications for DDR3 SDRAM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

Interesting that all memory is just not memory with timings, sub-timings and such. Also found it interesting that XMP profile on the memory sets the sub-timings also.

You know, buying stuff from a store, just to return it raises the cost of that product from a store that much more....
Usually when I try it it works so I don't return it.

I know it's been posted in here, but what's the safe long term vcore for these cpu? I don't wanna push it too far. Right now I'm sitting at 3.9 on a 1700 with a vcore of 1.3v. I just was wondering how much more I c as n give it to push it higher.

I know it's been posted in here, but what's the safe long term vcore for these cpu? I don't wanna push it too far. Right now I'm sitting at 3.9 on a 1700 with a vcore of 1.3v. I just was wondering how much more I c as n give it to push it higher.

Unfortunately thats not really a question anyone can answer just yet. You ask for long term voltage, but the CPUs have been out for less than a month. Generally speaking though voltage is not as important a factor as temperatures are. I wouldn't personally run over 1.5v for a 24/7 clock, and from the results Ive been seeing it doesn't seem to matter much after 1.4v anyway.

I believe AMD stated 1.45v ....... I am sure if I am wrong someone will update this for you.

1.25-1.40V is standard voltage. Depends on frequency, load etc CPU runs at different voltage. Above ~1.45V under full load it will overheat on most coolers and motherboards. It won't damage CPU but it will be unstable.

Interesting note: I clocked up to 2933 again... Had some odd problems. Post took an inordinate amount of time, windows boot did as well. Had the same problem as DaveB with a random zip file. The RAM issues are ugly on my sticker-clad gskill aegis. Back to auto on ram, and all those problems disappear. Figured out the driver not installed issue on Ryzen master: it's tied to driver signing. AMD has a KB on it: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/KB99.aspx

Gonna hold off on ram modifications from Auto and hope for improved compatibility via bios update from Asus. Overall, I am happy with the stock performance of everything. Leaps and bounds better than my old FX8320e @4.5ghz. Zero issues running half a million programs (Google drive, Dropbox, a bunch of other background applications) and games at the same time.

It looks like my rebooting problem in Prime95 might be related to the Gigabyte Gaming 3. I'm not seeing it with the Asus X370 Prime. The power delivery on the Gaming 3 might just not be up to the task. It's unfortunate because I really like the Gaming 3 otherwise.

I also got some Flare X 3200, however I'm not actually convinced it's any different than the Trident Z (other than costing a lot more). I'll have to do some more comparison, but I think that high end Flare X/Trident Z/Ripjaws are all basically the same modules with different heat spreaders. We know they're all Samsung B-Die, and I'm not sure there's any more cherry picking of chips beyond that.

Last edited:
It looks like my rebooting problem in Prime95 might be related to the Gigabyte Gaming 3. I'm not seeing it with the Asus X370 Prime. The power delivery on the Gaming 3 might just not be up to the task. It's unfortunate because I really like the Gaming 3 otherwise.

I also got some Flare X 3200, however I'm not actually convinced it's any different than the Trident Z (other than costing a lot more). I'll have to do some more comparison, but I think that high end Flare X/Trident Z/Ripjaws are all basically the same modules with different heat spreaders. We know they're all Samsung B-Die, and I'm not sure there's any more cherry picking of chips beyond that.

Most likely there are some differences in the programming for the profiles to accomodate Ryzen other than that yes they are the same chips.

Interesting note: I clocked up to 2933 again... Had some odd problems. Post took an inordinate amount of time, windows boot did as well. Had the same problem as DaveB with a random zip file. The RAM issues are ugly on my sticker-clad gskill aegis. Back to auto on ram, and all those problems disappear. Figured out the driver not installed issue on Ryzen master: it's tied to driver signing. AMD has a KB on it: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/KB99.aspx

Gonna hold off on ram modifications from Auto and hope for improved compatibility via bios update from Asus. Overall, I am happy with the stock performance of everything. Leaps and bounds better than my old FX8320e @4.5ghz. Zero issues running half a million programs (Google drive, Dropbox, a bunch of other background applications) and games at the same time.
I didn't see RAM issues with the Aegis on the Asus X370, 2933 worked fine after updating to BIOS 0504 and upping the memory voltage to 1.3875V. I did memory testing at 2933 with zero issues. Any kind of OC, even with RAM at default was iffy though. It'll likely be solved in a future BIOS update if you hang in there. The large ZIP file issue happened with both 1700s and the 1700X. I could not unzip 3DMark with a windows unzip or WinZip while smaller files unzipped just fine. Then, in response to suggestions here, I tried 7-ZIP which worked even though it showed various errors. Can't explain it since all the Ryzens ran the entire suite of AIDA64 Engineer benchmarks without a hitch and with remarkably high scores.

I probably wouldn't bother pushing much higher than 1.4v, and preferably under that. The last 100 MHz on these chips takes so much extra voltage that it's questionable whether it's worth the extra heat, power and likely reduced longevity of the chip. You could try for 4 GHz at 1.4, but if that's not stable I'd probably just stick to 3.9.

Also, keep in mind that the LLC settings on the boards basically increases voltage under load, to try to compensate for it dropping too low. So, it may run up to .025 volts higher than what you're set to (1.375 would actually be as high as 1.4).

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see RAM issues with the Aegis on the Asus X370, 2933 worked fine after updating to BIOS 0504 and upping the memory voltage to 1.3875V. I did memory testing at 2933 with zero issues. Any kind of OC, even with RAM at default was iffy though. It'll likely be solved in a future BIOS update if you hang in there. The large ZIP file issue happened with both 1700s and the 1700X. I could not unzip 3DMark with a windows unzip or WinZip while smaller files unzipped just fine. Then, in response to suggestions here, I tried 7-ZIP which worked even though it showed various errors. Can't explain it since all the Ryzens ran the entire suite of AIDA64 Engineer benchmarks without a hitch and with remarkably high scores.

I'm not sure which Asus X370 you have, but I'm not having any problems unzipping on my X370 Prime.

Do the AIDA tests read/write from your drive? The zip problem to sounds to me like a read or write problem with your SSD (or the board's interface with it). Do you have another one you can try out to compare? I definitely wouldn't just ignore that problem because it could be a sign of something a lot more serious, which could lead to serious data corruption.

Back