• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely high idle temp athlon 2 x4 630 at Stock speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryder794

Hello to everyone over at OCF, this is my first post

i have an athlon ii x4 630 with stock cooler,a msi890gxm g65 mobo and an msi 5770 graphics card

after checking hw monitor and coretemp my idle temps show as much as 65 degrees!!! after finding out that its supposed to idle at around 25 degrees, i changed the vcore to 1.35v and the NB voltage to 1.15 instead of putting them on auto hoping that it would fix the problem but it hasn't helped

my case has a 120mm intake fan in front and a 140mm exhaust on top, and the cables are routed to ensure max airflow, the CPU even runs at STOCK speed, how can i get it to operate at proper temperatures

once i get that done i want to know how to get a modest 3.0 ghz overclock on the stock cooler with stock volts so i dont get the temperatures back up again, any advice from owners of the 890gxm would be helpful as the BIOS layout is confusing, treat me as a COMPLETE noob please :)

thanks

Attachments

• temps.png
    temps.png
    23 KB · Views: 1,193
  • CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,089
Last edited:
Those temps are way high for idle. If it's in your budget get a 212+ or evo. Should be able to find them on newegg. Your max temp showing is already over what my oc 955 runs at under full load p95. Also the vcore voltage your showing in hwmonitor is already above stock from what I found it should be 1.32-1.33 so your already oc on your vcore.

Last edited:
You need to try and reseat your cooler. It's very likely that it's not making full contact with your processor. Get some thermal paste, clean off your cooler and processor (coffee filters work great for this), put a small dot of thermal on your processor, and reinstall your cooler. If your temps are still high after that, then there's either something wrong with your BIOS settings or something wrong with your processor. Or, and this has happened before too, you might be getting false temp readings. Get back to us after you reseat the cooler though.

Those temps are way high for idle. If it's in your budget get a 212+ or evo. Should be able to find them on newegg. Your max temp showing is already over what my oc 955 runs at under full load p95. Also the vcore voltage your showing in hwmonitor is already above stock from what I found it should be 1.32-1.33 so your already oc on your vcore.

i thought it was 1.35, will set it to 1.32 and report the temps.
and this shouldn't have to be solved with an aftermarket cooler because im running only 1t 2.8 stock and even with the stock cooler it should be much lower than this

You need to try and reseat your cooler. It's very likely that it's not making full contact with your processor. Get some thermal paste, clean off your cooler and processor (coffee filters work great for this), put a small dot of thermal on your processor, and reinstall your cooler. If your temps are still high after that, then there's either something wrong with your BIOS settings or something wrong with your processor. Or, and this has happened before too, you might be getting false temp readings. Get back to us after you reseat the cooler though.

will post the temperatures after reseating,the temperatures cant be wrong in 2 software AND the BIOS can it?

what do the readings in the motherboard column
TMPIN0 and TMPIN2 signify? are they high too or is only the cpu running hot?

Either TMPIN0 or TMPIN1 is the CPU socket temp (probably TMPIN0) and yes, that is too high. Dangerously high at 70 C. The other one is a motherboard environmental temp sensor.

You need to try reseating and repasting your cooler. Even the stock cooler should give you better temps than that. Buy some quality TIM (thermal interface material) like Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 orMX4. Using a dry paper coffee filter, remove the bulk of the old paste from the heatsink and the CPU face and then finish the cleaning with a coffee filter moistened with isopropyl alcohol. Let the two surfaces dry. Then put a small blob of TIM in the center of the CPU face, a little bigger than a BB but smaller than a green pea. Do not, do not, do not try to spread it with your finger, a credit card, a razor blade or anything else. Just lower the cooler onto the CPU, push down a little and twist about 20 degrees once each way left and right. Then clamp it down. Let the clamping pressure spread the paste between the two flat surfaces. Most noobs put far too much paste down which decreases the heat transfer efficiency between the two surfaces. You know, "If a little is good then more will be better." Ain't so.

The other problem may be poor case ventilation. You would do well to add more case fans, especially one to the back panel of the case. Make sure the fans are arranged to move air from front low to rear high. A lot of people don't understand how ventilation works for some reason and have the fans all blowing air to the inside of the case where it does noting but trap the warm air coming off the heatsink and the motherboard components.

thank you for the crisp instructions,
my case has a 120mm intake in front and 140mm exhaust at front.
That leaves me with 2 120mm at the sides and one more at the back, how do you suggest i set up fans properly.

and i might be getting a corsair h60, that would mean that the rear 120mm would be for its radiator, if that is the case how do i set up the 2 fans at the sides?

Sorry Noobiness is annoying :D

For the moment set both your front fans to intake, leave your side fans on intake and have your rear fan on exhaust. Try reseating your cooler first though.

thank you for the crisp instructions,
my case has a 120mm intake in front and 140mm exhaust at front.

Did your mean to say that? That is not what you described in hour first post so you must have changed the fans around. If so, that is a totally futile fan arrangement. Have one fan as the intake in the front and move the other as an exhaust fan in the back. You might also try putting one fan in top and one in the rear, both set to exhaust. That way they will be pulling in cool outside air through the front and across the interior of the case.

That leaves me with 2 120mm at the sides and one more at the back, how do you suggest i set up fans properly.

and i might be getting a corsair h60, that would mean that the rear 120mm would be for its radiator, if that is the case how do i set up the 2 fans at the sides?

The radiator fan will be drawing in cool air from the outside at the back and pushing it through the radiator into the interior of the case, correct? http://www.corsair.com/blog/mounting-the-hydro-series-h60-cpu-cooler-to-your-intel-motherboard/ I would think the two side fans and the front fans should be intake with the top fan as exhaust in that scenario. And I would think it would be a good idea to have the top fan be a strong one to balance out all those intake fans.

Sorry Noobiness is annoying :D

Last edited:
i ordered a Hyper 212 EVO and ill get it in 2 or 3 days hopefully, hopefully that will solve the problem as im getting a better cooler AND 'reseating' xD.

got my EVO today and installed it :) temps now down to 30 degrees, good cable management and some dust removal and ill be all set.

Thanks alot guys!

+1

Back