• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest 8Core CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drew_91

Registered
Hi, I'm on my first pc build and I'm currently running an overclocked AMD FX 4100, however I'm already wanting to upgrade my CPU as I don't think its really up to the tasks I am presenting it. I am interested to see what you think would be the best 8 core AMD processor for me to upgrade to

Hi, I'm on my first pc build and I'm currently running an overclocked AMD FX 4100, however I'm already wanting to upgrade my CPU as I don't think its really up to the tasks I am presenting it. I am interested to see what you think would be the best 8 core AMD processor for me to upgrade to

What tasks do you do with your computer? Are you overclocked?

Mostly gaming. Yes I've overclocked my CPU to 4.5GHZ but still experiencing some lag in my game play when playing on very high/Ultra settings

ASRock N68-VS3 FX motherboard, 4gb DDR3 1333 RAM, AMD fx 4100 CPU and Radeon HD 6850 graphics card

Yeah BF3 is the game I'm having most trouble with, however I occasionally get lag while playing Crisis 2 on Very high. I was told that the 6850 would be capable of playing BF3 on ultra and as I didn't know much about computers at the time I took their word for it, thank you for the information though

Yeah BF3 is the game I'm having most trouble with, however I occasionally get lag while playing Crisis 2 on Very high. I was told that the 6850 would be capable of playing BF3 on ultra and as I didn't know much about computers at the time I took their word for it, thank you for the information though

They lied to you bro. 6850 can play BF3 on medium at the most.

I was afraid of that, thanks for the help anyway. I would still like to upgrade my CPU because I just got the fx 4100 as I thought it would be a cheap and decent card to begin with, what upgrade would you suggest?

I was afraid of that, thanks for the help anyway. I would still like to upgrade my CPU because I just got the fx 4100 as I thought it would be a cheap and decent card to begin with, what upgrade would you suggest?

At 4.5Ghz the CPU is decent. Have you tried overclocking the 6850?

my 6850 handles BF3 MP without issues, pretty sure im maxed out... ill check when i get home... running at @ stock mem and 850mhz gpu, but it looks like it could do more... may have to try....

Drew, put your system spec in your sig , all of it, use my sig as a template if you like, but till help donw the road.

That is why I was thinking it was the CPU, I was playing Crisis 2 on ultra and the core usage got to 89% and I know BF3 is more demanding. Ok cheers

i believe i wrote this another place but the 6850 is a very poor card for gaming if you look at the point that the "68" is series name and the "50" is gpu quality/power which in other words means you bought a cheap version of the card that is mostly made for medium gaming :) the same goes for Nvidia, but perhaps if your card is cheap compared to a stronger one you could go for Crossfire, however always look at Passmark.com @ video card benchmarks and look at what kicks ***.

oh and dont worry the 8cores wont be a bottleneck the next 3years especially not if we get the Mobo's or patches that will enhance them as promised :) and tbh i see more 8cores running stabile at extreme clocks that intels compared or even abit higher goes! :)

and the last thing you dont have alot of RAM 8gigs would be a help for your Graphics card + crank em up to 1600mhz atleast also makes gaming a bit funnier :)

"feel free to spank me, if i said some bull**** its a late night.. lol"

It is the GPU, you need some serious GPU muscle to max BF3 and Crisis 2.

What Resolution are you running? if your @ 1920 x 1080 try it @ 1680 x 900.

The FX-4100 while far from the best CPU is actually just fine for high end gaming.

If your going to spend more money get a better GPU.

Yeah I am already in the process of looking for RAM to upgrade to as I knew 4GB was minimum for the newer games. yeah I'm running 1920 x 1080 so will try the lower res, Would you suggest getting one of the best GPUs or getting another 6850 and running two? Cheers for the promo but im in the UK, can pick an FX-8120 For around £140

Last edited:
my 6850 handles BF3 MP without issues, pretty sure im maxed out... ill check when i get home... running at @ stock mem and 850mhz gpu, but it looks like it could do more... may have to try....

Drew, put your system spec in your sig , all of it, use my sig as a template if you like, but till help donw the road.

It takes me 2 OC'ed 5830s in crossfire to max out BF3@1080p SP(average 55fps).
One only running@1020/1250 (stock 800/1000) gives me an average of 30fps.

Performance of 6850 and 5830 are very similar.

What resolution are you playing at?

EDIT: OP, a second 6850 would be the upgrade to make.

I'm playing at 1080p res. Ok looks like I will have to look into how to crossfire, im still pretty new to all this haha. cheers for the help guys

Back