• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120hz, below 120 Fps = Stutter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

piecookie

Hi, correct me if I'm at the wrong part of the forums.

I have been looking for a solution or an explanation to my problem all over the internet but I can't seem to find any.

Im using a Samsung S27A950D @ 120hz and when I get 100-120fps everything runs silky-smooth. However when the framerate dips below 90fps, I get some serious stutter, it feels like 25fps on a 60Hz monitor. The only solution is to lower the resolution.

My problem is most evident when I play huge maps with a lot of players. Notice however that during the campaign I don't get this problem when I get lower framerates.

My friend uses almost the exact same setup (same monitor), only difference is an i7 2600k @ 4,5Ghz and I can't seem to notice the same stutter which i get with my PC. As of that, I'm starting to think that is has to be my CPU bottlenecking somehow.

My rig

i5 2500k @ 4,5Ghz
Evga GTX 780Ti ACX
8GB Corsair CL9 1600mhz
MSI P67 GD65 B3 Motherboard
S27A950D @ 120hz

Any help would be really appreciated.

at that speed there is no way your cpu is bottlenecking anything.... only difference is HT and no HT between the cpu, well a 100mhz stock speed difference. there has to be something else your not telling us. i find it hard to believe just because of HT he has no stuttering. hard drive? os?

stuttering can happen at any refresh rate.

Also when you play large maps with lots of other players you will have to deal with whatever their connection speed is. This can cause lag or stuttering. Make sure its not a server or connection issue first, then start looking at the system you are using.

Z

You might have an unstable oc somewhere in the mix. The three main components being CPU, RAM, and GPU. While my GPU would run it's oc settings fine on pretty much every game, for whatever reason titan quest had issues with it, so I had to drop the oc some.

For the ram, even though memtest says 0 errors and everything else ran fine, I had to up the voltage since it was causing stutters in warframe.

For the cpu, no problems for myself. Though my temps never go above 55C on a hot day without AC running.

It sounds like throttling could be a possibility.

Also try this, its something I found a long time ago in some forum when I was trying to tweak my computer for best gaming performance.

Guys don't forget to enable HPET in BIOS and to type the admin command prompt "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" (reboot). This is the most important BC2 bugs fixer and it improve a bit max & average fps.

Back