• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatercore sandwich

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tekko

I'm redoing me rad mounting and I plan on going 39mm fan/Weapon's shroud/Heatercore/Weapon's shroud/39mm fan which end up at about 9 1/2 inches thick. Thing is I can't find threaded rods that are long/thin enough and I did about 20 hardware store so far. So I decided to bite the bullet and probably pay more in shipping/custom duties by ordering at McMaster-Carr. But I'm really not sure what to order from there (ya I'm from Québec and I have next to no idea on how to Imperial system works). Best I could come up by myself was the 4-40 threaded rod (read that it was the best size but I'm not sure) with a length of 24 inches (which I'll cut to needed size)

Question is: could someone give me a link to the rod I would need and some nuts to hold it all together?

I used zip ties on mines. They should work since if theyre not long enough you can string multiple ones together. I'd personally recommend the 8" ones. Otherwise just go to ace since they have a huge selection of screws.

I'm surprised hardware stores in Canada don't have 24" threaded rods - they're very common here. A 4-40 would be OK as will 6-32, which is the common fan screw size. Look in the sheet metal section, which should also include flat and angled steel and aluminum in 24" and 36" lengths (probably 500mm and 1m up there). I'm not very sure about metric screw sizes. IIRC - an M2 is between 4-40 and 6-32, the M3 is slightly bigger than 6-32 and may also work.

Screws will never get through all that, it'll take a threaded rod ...

Last edited:
You don't have a Fastenal up there? I thought they had millions of locations. They can get virtually anything for a decent price, although mcmaster would be my first choice if shipping wasn't an issue. Reason I say that is the aluminum rod I got from fastenal was kinda corroded (dull and dirty), while mcmaster's rod was shiney new aluminum.

You may want to look at the 'industrial supply' places, we have places like Grainger that you can order lots of mechanical junk from.

I'm redoing me rad mounting and I plan on going 39mm fan/Weapon's shroud/Heatercore/Weapon's shroud/39mm fan which end up at about 9 1/2 inches thick. Thing is I can't find threaded rods that are long/thin enough and I did about 20 hardware store so far. So I decided to bite the bullet and probably pay more in shipping/custom duties by ordering at McMaster-Carr. But I'm really not sure what to order from there (ya I'm from Québec and I have next to no idea on how to Imperial system works). Best I could come up by myself was the 4-40 threaded rod (read that it was the best size but I'm not sure) with a length of 24 inches (which I'll cut to needed size)

Question is: could someone give me a link to the rod I would need and some nuts to hold it all together?

As stated above, a 4x40 or a 6x32 of correct length will work fine if it is long enough. 24" threaded rods can be cut to size with a dremel and high speed cutoff wheel with no probs. What do you need? Four of them that are about 10" long?

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything on how you plan to bolt them all together, are you bolting the shrouds over the core with the 4 holes mounted in the outer lip on the shrouds? I think that is probably the best approach. Then you can use 6x32 screws that are 2" long to attach the fans to the shrouds and not have to run threaded rods through the core's fins.

Now I am going to have to go dig up a core, 2 weapon shrouds and 4 san aces to see if I am working this out right in my head. :D

EDIT: Tekko - send me a PM if you want and I'll help you get it worked out.

Weapon

Last edited:
Back