• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAT 5 is always CAT 5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnerma

Just set up my first little network /w a D-link 604 & 3 boxen. But when I bought the CAT 5 to connect from the PCs to the router one of them doesn't 'work'. That being the belkin 'crossover' cable. So I'm guessing this is a special kind of cat5 that is meant to go between 2 NICs & not through a router, is that correct? If so I shall take it back to the guy from Radio Shack and perhaps strangle him with it :rolleyes:

Yup, to connect 2 NIC's you'll need a crossover cable, but routers and hubs don't need that (Well at least AFAIK).

BTW: Could you make a movie when you strangle the guy;) :D

Alright, I took it back but unfortunately the guy who sold it to me wasn't there :( The lady who processed the return knew about the difference, I should have asked her to strangle the guy the next time she sees him.. Oh well got all three of my boxen hooked into my router now..

KILLorBE said:
Yup, to connect 2 NIC's you'll need a crossover cable, but routers and hubs don't need that (Well at least AFAIK).

BTW: Could you make a movie when you strangle the guy;) :D
Correct, rather they CAN'T use it. When you're using an Uplink port then things can be different, but for hooking PC's to routers/hubs you want the normal cable. Lol what a bonehead for giving you a crossover. :D

Neoplasia said:
Lol what a bonehead for giving you a crossover. :D

Eh, I was a bonehead too for not knowing. I asked simply for "CAT5". So I can't really blame him, I was just as ignorant. Oh well at least I know now.

Neoplasia said:

Correct, rather they CAN'T use it.

Ooops my bad:eh?: (Huge typo:p ).

Gnerma said:
Eh, I was a bonehead too for not knowing. I asked simply for "CAT5". So I can't really blame him, I was just as ignorant. Oh well at least I know now.

He's still a bonehead for selling you two different cables:p

Back