• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock intel I7 930 (first time)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octaaf

Hi there,
I just overclocked my CPU for the first time, I didn't had any experience with this so I think I could use some help.
I got my CPU at 3.4 GHz atm and im fine with this, but maybe I can adjust some voltage or something else.
Here is my list:

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
Intel (R) SpeedStep(TM) Tech: Disabled
BCLK Frequency: 167
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1339MHz
UCLK Frequency: 2678MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: Auto
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU Voltage: 1.250
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.84
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.275
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64

The temps are around 70 degrees.
Use this cooler btw: Enermax ETS-T40-VD

I hope anyone could help me with this or do you guys say: dude you dont need help its perfect!? :attn:
Thnx

1. PLL doesnt need to be above stock (1.80v), and Im not sure that your QPI does either that that bclk.
2. The goal with overclocking is to reach your clockspeed goal with the lowest amount of voltage. Are you there? Not sure? Time to start lowering voltages and check!

Hi there,
Yes I am satisfied with my clockspeed so I think i will keep it that way en just lowering the voltage:

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
Intel (R) SpeedStep(TM) Tech: Disabled
BCLK Frequency: 164
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-980MHz
UCLK Frequency: 1961MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: Auto
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU Voltage: 1.23750
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.80
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.23750
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64

As you can see I also put the DRAM Frequency one lower. Is it better this way or not?
Thnx

A 3.4GHz clock is only a 600MHz overclock, well under the 4.0GHz+ clock your chip is capable of at a reasonable voltage on air. Figure in the neighborhood of 1.30-1.35 on average for a 4.0GHz clock.

Back