• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yate Loons vs Gentle Typhoon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

For years now I have used Yate Loon D12SH-12 fans for my water cooling, but with my system running more and the fan number growing I've been looking for options. My fans run controlled so they are basically silent when browsing but when it runs at full speed it gets a little loud.

The 20$ cost of these fans has always kept me away but if they can significantly drop noise it will be worth it for me at this time. Based on the specs alone the high speed Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 3000 RPM (D1225C12B7AP-29) would drop my noise by about 4 dba to 36dba while keeping the cfm about the same at 83 cfm when compared to Yate Loon D12SH-12. Based on the description and hype these fans are quieter than anything on the market. Is this true? Has anyone changed from Yate Loon fans to these? In your opinion, would Gentle Typhoons make a difference between these two types? I realize this is just your opinion but that is what I'm looking for here. Obviously they will be blowing over radiators. Thanks.

Love my yate loons!

So, why are they running full tilt is my question? I only do that when I bench, otherwise it's 80/rpm which is essentially dead silent to me.

I should rephrase that to when my PC is at full tilt. The fans run at about 1300-1500 rpm or so. When not gaming my PC is mining so it does get hot in there though. To be honest, the noise is not really "loud", I was just looking for options. If there are any.

BugFreak I have both the YL High speed and GT AP 15's, now take this with a grain of salt because you mentioned the AP 29's. I agree when you say the Yates are at full tilt they can be loud. The GT AP 15 are significantly quieter at 100% granted they're only 1800+ fans and only flow 58 cfm compared to the 2200 88 cfm yates. They do have better static pressure then the YL so you may not need them to run as hard to push as much air. It's also a different type of noise, the GT's are more of a woosh sound. That all said if I didn't get a good price on the GT's I couldn't justify buying them over the Yates. Just a what if, but maybe add more raddage?

While I can't really compare them to those yate loons, I have three AP-29's on my rad and do not find them at all loud at full speed. They are also hard to beat in terms of static pressure.

Fans.. you get what you pay for :)

Golden Rule(s) for Fans:

CHEAP + SILENT = NO PERFORMANCE
CHEAP + PERFORMANCE = NOT SILENT
SILENT + PERFORMANCE = NOT CHEAP

+Most SILENT CaseFans are not well suited for CPU-HS-Towers or Radiators

I have used yate loon lows in the past and i am using gentle typhoon ap-14s right now. Without testing equipment, this will be next to meaningless, but i find the ap-14s quieter even though they are 100rpm faster than yate lows. And you can certainly feel more air blowing through the swiftech qp rad they are on, but i cant give any numbers because this computer is specced different than it was when i was using yates.

That being said, 4 ap-14s on a swiftech qp 120.4 is what im using to cool my cpu + gpu right now, and it does a solid job of it. And until they run out, ap-14s are 14$ at jabtech, they were 13$ when i bought them a few months back so they have gone up, and once they run out thats that, unless nidec finds a new distributor for them anyway.

The GT AP 15 are significantly quieter at 100% granted they're only 1800+ fans and only flow 58 cfm compared to the 2200 88 cfm yates. They do have better static pressure then the YL so you may not need them to run as hard to push as much air. It's also a different type of noise, the GT's are more of a woosh sound.
That's a good point. I run these YL about the same speed as the ap-14/15 so the cfm should be about the same and the pressure should do me some good. The difference in sound is what got me curious. I'm assuming it gets rid of the whine that most computer fans make so it sounds more like a real fan.

Thanks for the info on jab-tech Supertrucker. I grabbed 7 ap-14s from them. At 14$ they are considerably cheaper than everywhere else. Plus, I figure if they aren't enough of a difference I can switch back to my YL and the GT will sell quick I'm sure.

I'll post some updates after I get them installed and tested.

Having run both fans, and I've been a fanboy (no pun intended) for the longest time, my GT-14's are much nicer. The noise when pushed is pleasant and they have much better static pressure...worth the money IMHO

Last edited:
So I installed my ap-14s into the w/c setup in my signature last night and I can agree, these fans are well worth it. You could probably consider me a Yate Loon fanboy after sticking to them all these years but I'm sold on these Gentle Typhoons.

My Yate's ran at 1300 rpm while the pc was idling. I am running these GTs at 630 rpm and maintaining the same temps! :eek: Also there is ZERO noise from my pc right now.

At full speed these ap-14s run at 1450 and still are basically silent. I'll put it this way, I can hear my fish tank from across the room over my pc I sit right next to.

I know this is completely an opinion but these things are silent and well worth it. I have a total of 7 running in my pc right now and can't hear a thing. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. A couple extras can't hurt, especially if the supply does end.

May I add to the confusion. I just picked up 6 BitFenix Spectre Pro Pwm's for $10.99. I was looking for fans with orange leds for aesthetic reasons. They are rated about the same as the GT Ap 15's as far as specifications and I have to say they are pretty impressive for the price. The sound quality is as good as the AP 15's and they are just as quiet. The hubs aren't as substantial as the AP 15's but for the price they are a pretty good choice. Just an FYI and glad you like the AP 15's BugFreak.

I just picked up a NB-bp2 and I like it even more than my GT-14's...and I think they look nicer also. Selection is clear as mud!

swiftech helix for 120 or 140mm fans, imho (best $/cfm/sp and they're nice guys.) i've tried yl, coolermaster, bblaster, bitfenix, and one i can't remember.

The problem with helix fans is they run a sleeve bearing which doesn't like being run horizontally, which 4 of my gt's run. Sleeve bearing and even some fdb fans click or grind or wear out when running horizontally while dual ball bearing fans just don't care. If the helix had dual ball bearings I'd probably be running helix pwm fans in my build right now.

I'm going to add to my previous post about the NB e-loops. Pricey, but they seem to be running cooler than my GT ap-14's (both are silent @ 1000rpm).

Back