• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU running at about 43C idle with Seidon 120V?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaptaGzus

I bought and installed a Seidon 120V a couple of days ago in a pull configuration from the outside (outside air is pulled through the radiator) and for some reason my CPU is running at 40 to 45 degrees C at idle according to SpeedFan and RealTemp. I have applied the thermal compound using the line method in a + configuration as I find that works best, after cleaning the old thermal compound thoroughly using methylated spirits and a lint free cloth. The radiator is plugged into an unthrottled 3 pin sys fan header and the fan is connected to the 4 pin CPU fan header which is variable. I have heard that there could be an air bubble issue however there is no long lasting rattling noise coming from the CPU block so I don't believe this to be the case, although the rattling does come and go most of the time it's gone but when it's around you can hear it, it's not too loud but it's louder than everything else and noticeable. Also, the radiator is mounted so that the inlet and the outlet holes are on the bottom and the CPU block is the right way up so that the inlet and outlet holes on it are on it's right side if you are looking at it. I have an i7 950 running on stock speeds with all the C states and EIST disabled. When I run the Intel Burn Test my temps go up to about 65C on average from all cores and when I change my bclk to 140mhz giving me an OC to 3.22ghz they average on 70C max. I don't adjust any of the voltages because they're all below the cap. I was wondering if it is normal for my CPU to be running at those temps, I know that the i7 first gen CPUs run hotter but I've seen people OC to 4ghz with a Noctua NH-D14 at a max of 75C with prime95, and that and my cooler are said to run similarly, theoretically I should be getting more from mine considering it's a water cooler though. So is my Seidon faulty?

Thank You

Thanks a lot for the advice I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to OCing CPUs didn't realise that a 0.1 difference in voltage could have a 10C difference. Anyways I OC'd stable with these specs:

cpu running at 3.96ghz
clock ratio - x22
bclk - 180mhz
LLC - Level 2
Vcore - 1.281v
QPI/Vtt - 1.315v
cpu PLL - 1.86v
DRAMv - 1.62v

Everything else on auto.

Does it all sound okay or have a undervolted something maybe? Also, should I set the ICH to 1.2v like others seem to be doing or just keep it on auto?

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Haf 912 Advanced case
gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev 2 mobo
i7 950 D0 OC as you know
optical drive
samsung 1tb 7200rpm hdd
6gb gskill performance (i think it's called) 1600mhz ram
gigabyte hd5770 oc'd
seidon 120v
front 200mm intake fan
rear intake through the rad by pull
top 120mm exhaust fan
going for positive air pressure
and silverstone strider plus 500W PSU bronze

I have found that with my setup, unless you have a bigger fan possibly, also maybe a bigger PSU is required it would seem. For better temperature and therefore performance results too maybe. I would suggest running with this setup instead.
bclk - 180mhz
Clock ratio - x21
LLC - Auto
Vcore - 1.2125
QPI/Vtt - 1.235
CPU PLL - 1.86
DRAMv - Auto

Everything else stays the same.

This I found to give me an average temp of 71C on full load (100%) when stress testing with the IntelBurnTest in an ambient/room temperature of 21C.

I then went up to 3.96Ghz (4Ghz) by changing these values
Clock ratio - x22
Vcore - 1.29375
Everything else is set to auto, as even getting the QPI/VTT down to 1.95v it didn't create lower temps, nor did it help with lowering the Vcore. Same goes for the CPUs PLL.

Now I get an average temp of 80C when stress testing with the IBT at 100% load, in a room/an ambient temperature of 25C.

Last edited:
Back