• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Tualatin Overheating ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward2

I have an Abit VH6T motherboard and a 1.1A Tualatin with an AX-7 heat sink. I have been running this setup for about 2 weeks. I decided to lap the heat sink and CPU some to see if I could drop my temps 1-2C. Apparently I have done something wrong because the temps have gone up about 7C!!!!! :mad:

I lapped them using 1000 and 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper for only about 5 minutes or so. I did not have a piece of glass, so I did it on the bathroom counter top. I re-applied AS-3 and put everything back together.

Even just sitting in the BIOS monitoring, the CPU temps are running 44C. They use to run around 35-38C depening on room temperature. Any ideas on what I should do next?

Thanks

The VH6t has a theristor (heat sensor) under the flip chip that measures the cpu temps. Did you by chance bend that up and it is now actualy touching the underside of the cpu. This could cause that much difference, otherwise the only other thing is that the hsf might not be properly seated (square) on the cpu. Also are you sure that the ambient temps are the same from past monitoring. If your room temp goes up a few degrees so will your cpu temps. Good Luck

I have a thermometer in the room, so I know that the room temps are about the same +/- 1C. I forgot to mention that the computer will not boot at 133FSB which is where I have been running it for the past month. Folding 24/7 at 37-38C.

What is the best way to determine if the heat sink and CPU are fully touching? I am going to pull the mobo out and take a look. I'm just not sure if I should lap the CPU and/or the heat sink any more or not. Although I going to have to do something to get the computer running again.

I forgot to ask, did you by chance remove the ihs (heat spreader) if so that would explain your maybe not getting good hsf contact. If not there is not much use in lapping it just use a small amount of As3 and spread it real thin and evenly . I us an old credit card to get an even layer. If the IHS is removed you need to us or make a good shim to keep the hsf square on the cpu. ol'man has perfected a way to make one using several layers of packing tape. But be careful I ruined a 1.3 chip scratching/cutting the top of the cpu.

No, I have not removed the IHS. I will try re-applying the AS3 and reseating the heat sink. I may not have time today before I have to leave, but maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the info and I will get back with you.

Guess what, I think you are right. When I went to remove the heat sink, I noticed that I could move the heat sink towards and away from the motherboard without the CPU moving. I had not noticed that before. So, I have reseated the heat sink and it feels very tight now.

I have rebooted the computer and it is now up and running at 133FSB and the temps are now 35C. It has only been a few minutes, but I am hopeful. Also wiping the sweat off. I have been a nervous wreck the past couple of hours trying to figure out what was wrong. Funny thing is I had reseated the heat sink probably 4-5 times.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I simply needed some reassurance.

Back