• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile Barton weeks, steppings, and results!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thewanted_ said:
Hi all,

I got a 0349 IQYFA (or something). I put WAY too much AS3 on so my temps are going through the roof. Gonna pull it apart later and do it like a civilised person.

Running 11.5x200 @ 1.775v at the moment but its hitting 64.5 degrees (C) with a SLK-800 and TT SmartFan II.

Ok, its a XPEW. My temps still suck even though I put Ceramique on yesterday. 58.5 degrees under load at 11.5x200 @ 1.725v :(

mrneed said:
why do u have ur volts so high on a mobile xp?? chill the volts so much lower than a desktop why so high?

While these chips run at a lower stock voltage this is also an indicator of how good they can be at high volts... I may up it a little more depending on my final water cooling setup. But on water 2.0+ a little isn't all that bad... it seems that these chips get a big boost at 2.0V

BTW my

IGYFA is XPEIU

My Voltage steps roughly:
1.4V (lowest) = 1.9GHz
1.5V = 2.0GHz
1.6V = 2.2GHz
1.7V = 2.3GHz
1.9V = 2.5GHz
2.0V = 2.65GHz
2.1V = ? need a better psu for this...

Last edited:
TheNewGuy143 said:
Yeah like login211said where did you get that in Canada???
TheNewGuy
newegg.why they dont ship to canada is crazy.missing out on
at least 25,000 customers.
pm felinusz he knows some good brokers here in the US.
man you guys are really temping me to get one when i get paid this week.

might i note, even if you're just a regular person looking for a good deal on a barton 2500+, $89.00 is a really good price, and they won't even know what they've got!! what a waste

EDIT: just noticed this http://www.geeksnmore.com/#Mobile notice it says "AMD is discontinuing low voltage Mobile CPUs, so email us"
better get 'em while you can

EDIT: what can i say, been doing some research, though some of you might of come by this, even if you haven't, check this out
http://www.myplc.com/sony/docs/amd_processor_reference.html
what do you suppose "Tcase Max" means? is that the max temp the processor can handle? if so, i say let's pump 3v and see what we get!!!!, lol

Last edited:
login211 - I actually ordered from newegg! :D

I had someone particularly good hearted, who lives in the states, to order one for me. He is shipping it up here to Canada when it arrives at his house.

Thanks Timmy Bighands!)

I updated the stepping list again. So far the 0349 is the newest processor...

EDIT: just noticed this http://www.geeksnmore.com/#Mobile notice it says "AMD is discontinuing low voltage Mobile CPUs, so email us"
better get 'em while you can

I'm not too surprised, I was wondering why 04 chips weren't being seen yet. I hope this turns out to not be true though! :-/

EDIT:

BTW my

IGYFA is XPEIU

Could you double check? A 5 digit end code is something I've never seen before, and may represent AMD deciding to throw more and more random letters at us! ;) :p

Last edited:
AMD is not going to discontinue low voltage Bartons just because a few of us are buying them... They need something to put in laptops... they may stop selling them en-masse to the public and they may tweek the design to foil us...

felinusz said:
Could you double check? A 5 digit end code is something I've never seen before, and may represent AMD deciding to throw more and more random letters at us! ;) :p

I'm quite sure, but I'll double check when I get my new PSU in next week... Kind of a pita remounting the WB and all.

Last edited:
It would be cool if the original post edited the first post to include stable overclocks, voltage and cooling for everyone who posts.

Might even be worthy of a STICKY!!!

Ok, I was way too eager to wait for my PSU... I've got a second one hooked up to run all the fans and I gained .06V on my 12V rail which isn't all that good but it allows me to pump it up just a bit more so currently I'm @ 2.05V and running 2724 MHz... 218x12.5 Currently Idling at 32C, b/c I just finished my duct today and I'm sucking in 23C air from the living room @ ~190 CFM.

I just noticed, that things are running a lot faster in windows now... It seems to run F@H just fine, but It still dips down to 11.4V when I prime95. I think tomorrow I will switch the two PSU's and see what kind of 12V I can get.

coo.jpg

well i can do 2700 mhz stable at 1.65 volts, i have booted into windows at ~2905 mhz this was at 2.00 vcore but it wasnt stable. Seemed a burn in did really good for this chip....wouldnt boot windows at 2800mhz and now it does fairly easily.

AMD is not going to discontinue low voltage Bartons just because a few of us are buying them... They need something to put in laptops... they may stop selling them en-masse to the public and they may tweek the design to foil us...

I don't think that AMD would cut production of the chips in *any* way because of us - in my opinion you're totally right about that. Even the locking of the Barton's likely had nothing to do with (conventional) overclockers, although we're the ones hit by it. On the same note however, I don't feel that AMD would mess with the chips either.

But Newegg's stock of these chips flickering is very odd, and the lack of really recent batch weeks seems funny to me as well. I think that production might have stopped as long as several weeks ago - seeing as how no 04XX batch processors have been sighted. I guess we'll see soon enough when and if Newegg restocks.

They need something to put in laptops...

Mobile Athlon 64's are in production, aren't they? ;)

Kind of a pita remounting the WB and all.

Not a big deal, just my curiosity (don't worry about it :)). It's good to see a heftier power supply helped your rails out a little bit. 11.4 on the 12V is still really, really low though, and I suspect that you'll get a lot more out of your chip with a 12V rail heavy powersupply. Fortron or Antec will do a lovely job for you :).

Are you clocking on an NF7-S? They really do seem to need a solid 12V rail for high Vcore stability, and I find that Vcore fluctuation, and undervolting is a big issue as well even with a high 12V rail. If you haven't already, try slapping some sinks on your Mosfets, and get a fan blowing over them - it really does help a lot when running with a higher Vcore on the NF7-S.

It would be cool if the original post edited the first post to include stable overclocks, voltage and cooling for everyone who posts.

I updated the original post to include more details in brief (I quoted the results more or less straight, and shoved them together :p) ; good idea.

EDIT: DipStickTony - Yikes, just saw your post now. That burn in did wonders for your chip, 2700 Mhz at such a low voltage is unreal :eek:! Are your temperatures reasonable enough to aim for a stable 2800 MHz?

Last edited:
The comp is running fine with normal apps... @ 2725, I'm sure things will improve with the new PSU... hopefully I can get some good prime 95 runs in then.

I think that AMD may have just stopped production of the mobile bartons, just like the palamino XP's there is probably a healthy stock of them still on the market they'll still be widely available... I just purchased a brand new 0215 1700+ pally for a friend last week.

I'm running an Ep 8RDA3+ here and it also seems to chew up a healthy amount of 12V... I wonder if this PSU may also help me to run lower voltages? I seem to be running the highest voltage of any of us... my Core voltage seems pretty stable... from 2.035-2.05V

Yeah the temps are really quite good. At 2700 mhz this chip is running at 41c load. Also in the bios the voltage is 1.7 but it shows at 1.65.

The voltage flucuation on this board is crazy. I'm not sure if my power supply can supply enough juice so at the moment I cannot pinpoint the problem. The strange thing is the mosfets are heatsinked and they have a fan directly over them. During prime they are still cool enough to touch but the voltage still flucuates.

@ 2800 mhz the chip still requires 1.95 volts in the bios (more like 1.875 volts actual) and hits ~46c at load.

@ 2950 and 2.2 volts in bios (shows up as 1.95 - 2.03 volts) its still not prime stable , it runs for approx. an hour before crashing.

Anyways im gonna grab the forton 530 watter out of my server and see if that helps the o/c. If i could hit 2900 mhz at a reasonable voltage id be real happy. (~2 volts)

Im currently using a 300 watt fortron and at load @ 2950 my 12v rail drops to 11.08, if the 530 helps looks like ill be buying another power supply.

@ 2950 and 2.2 volts in bios (shows up as 1.95 - 2.03 volts) its still not prime stable , it runs for approx. an hour before crashing.

That's 50 measly MHz short of 3 GHz :eek: ! Set the voltage as high as you can, and see if you can get a windows screenie at 3GHz, it would make a great folding avatar ;). I updated the results again for you :)

That Fortron 530 will help your rails for sure, if not your fluctuation as well. It's incredible that your chip is sailing using a 300W PSU at that high of a Vcore, with such a low 12V rail. I think that that Fortron might just bridge that tiny gap stably for you (you know what gap I'm talking about...) :eek:.

I may have to sell some equipment and go get myself one of these for when I get my water cooling gear up and running, what better way to christen and new cooling system than to hit 3 Ghz with an XP on it? It wasn't too long ago that I can remember that the Prommy cooled 1700+'s were considered god-like. 3GHz was barely attainable with phase change, now good air cooling is hitting 2.7? This is amazing.

I thought an A64 would be my next upgrade, but a few hundred MHz more from a mobile barton would do just fine.

OMG guys I am such a noob

I just reseated my WB and it looks like I was smoking something when I read that stepping... My stepping is IQYFA XPEW

So IGYFA and XPEIU are nonexistant...

I got the PSU in and it didn't help a thing although my 12V rail is now a constant 11.88-12.0V nomatter the load.

It seems that my AS3 was smeared on the cache and other random parts of the CPU... so I hopefully fixed that problem... time for some more tests.

they are back in stock at Newegg!

One question though, why are these 2500+ Mobile processors stated to run on the 266 bus? I thought all the 2500+'s were on the 333 bus?

Oh well, one is on the way to me! Maybe next month I can get another motherboard, power supply and memory so I can run all of my systems lol. That M7NCG-400 from Biostar looks REAL nice about now.

Back