• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is A Opteron Worth Buying? If so where?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fhpchris said:
opti146.jpg

Who needs ETAs?

Penny pic for the win! :)

CABNE 0530APMW

Stepping.
and where might you have picked up that little thing...?

I ordered my 144 from Tritech on the 6th ground shipping. I'm using a m-ATX ATI board, so I probably won't be able to reach the full potential, but I'm hoping for 289 HT, which is what this board maxes out at.

New to OCForums, but I figured this was a good thread to chime in at. ;)

As far as performance, the Opterons run idential to the San Diego clock-for-clock. It's essentially the same thing, except the Opteron's are binned with ALOT more headroom because they are a server processor (remember? Opteron...server... :p) so they need to be beyond reliable. Because of that, they seem to be giving off stellar overclocks. But beware! A newer stepping has arisen that is giving off similar clocks to the San Diegos 3700+/4000+ (peaking out at ~2.8GHz). Even if you buy a 144 with this newer stepping though, 2.8GHz with 1MB of L2 for less than $200 is a steal! I don't wanna put off the wrong idea, I'd still be psych'd with 2.8GHz.

And for those wondering if 144's hit 3GHz on air....

http://img298.imageshack.us/my.php?image=32m3ta.jpg

That's on an XP-90C, and I'm getting that in this week. I have to update my sig, but I currently have a 3000+ Venice (2.7GHz 1.55v, 2.86GHz 1.66v benchable), a 7800GTX, DFI SLi-DR, and some other various parts...and I can say I've never been this excited about ANY part in the time I've taken up screwing around with computers. My first priority after getting that is to get some water to cool it down.

Also, over at our site EclipseOC.com, we have a two-part Opteron 144 review, and that will be compared to a 146 here in a few weeks, for reference.

Best of luck to everyone trying to find one, but be aware these chips run VERY HOT from what I've been told. I'll be able to comment soon on it. ;)

fhpchris said:
Does anyone have one of these yet, or am I the only one?
hehe, you're not the only one.

1_35.jpg

as tsue said:
part 1- http://eclipseoc.com/index.php?id=3,25,0,0,1,0
part 2- http://eclipseoc.com/index.php?id=3,29,0,0,1,0 (spolier - contains a 3.3ghz cpu-z validation.. not stable, but fun to look at)

once i get my dfi back from rma, i'll write up a part 3, addressing the potential concerns i had in part 2. then i have a 146 in the works, serial number of 001. i'll be writing up a 146 review to compare to the 144.. then when that is all over, i'll play with the memory controller, see how it does with various configs; if it likes 4 double sided sticks, how well it clocks, that sort of thing :cool:

When will the 4400 equivs. be out? I saw a 1.8 ghz dual core opteron on tank guys with 2mb L2 cache and was wondering when the 4400 equiv would be avai.

Hey_Its_Cole said:
When will the 4400 equivs. be out? I saw a 1.8 ghz dual core opteron on tank guys with 2mb L2 cache and was wondering when the 4400 equiv would be avai.

The reason people are getting the opteron is because it overclocks well, not because it's fast at stock speeds or amazingly cheaper than Athlon's (although, there is no 1MB 1.8GHz Athlon64), so if you want a 4400+ style processor, just buy the 4400+. ;)

Im hooked i want one, it would kill my 3000 winchester lol.... just stock 146 opteron would upgrade up from 3000 winnie in everyway lol.

Twiggz said:
Im hooked i want one, it would kill my 3000 winchester lol.... just stock 146 opteron would upgrade up from 3000 winnie in everyway lol.

Not really, I think the only difference would be the extra 512kb cache...

Nah the rig isnt new persay it's about 6 months old all i did was just recently redo the cooling system with alittle modding... But that opteron 146 should come with more L2 cache, less voltage,200mhz more faster, and OC alittle more than twice as good as my winnie :p LOL poor winchester.

Back